Sonder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Sonder

Came across this video and it kinda reminded me of the forum. We interact frequently, but only through the anonymity of the web. Some of us more or less than others, some of us put more of ourselves here than others.

This video resonated with me because "sonder" is a thought that I've had all of my life. I've always looked at others, taken notice of the background "extras" in my day to day life and wondered what it would be like to be them. To have their experiences.

I wonder how much of their lives would reflect mine. Their thoughts, desires, needs. I wonder just how close my insecurities resemble theirs. I wonder if my sense of humor would make them smile, or if I'm really as weird as I think I am (being here assures me that I'm surely not alone in my sense of humor).

"Sonder" makes me wonder if we're all connected so much deeper than we ever really let ourselves realize, and wonder if we ever will.

Anyway, I'm gonna have a tumbler of bourbon and cheers to all of you here on the forum. I'm glad that we all took the time to focus our attention on one another just enough to enjoy each other's company, anonymous though it may be, at least it feels honest enough.

Happy holidays to you guys as we sonder through another year.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
22-12-2013, 11:28 PM
RE: Sonder
(22-12-2013 11:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  ...

"Sonder" makes me wonder if we're all connected so much deeper than we ever really let ourselves realize, and wonder if we ever will.

Anyway, I'm gonna have a tumbler of bourbon and cheers to all of you here on the forum. I'm glad that we all took the time to focus our attention on one another just enough to enjoy each other's company, anonymous though it may be, at least it feels honest enough.

Who are you?

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-12-2013, 11:31 PM
(22-12-2013 11:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 11:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  ...

Who are you?

Tongue

No one of consequence. Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Me neither.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
23-12-2013, 01:20 AM
(22-12-2013 11:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Came across this video and it kinda reminded me of the forum. We interact frequently, but only through the anonymity of the web. Some of us more or less than others, some of us put more of ourselves here than others.

This video resonated with me because "sonder" is a thought that I've had all of my life. I've always looked at others, taken notice of the background "extras" in my day to day life and wondered what it would be like to be them. To have their experiences.

I wonder how much of their lives would reflect mine. Their thoughts, desires, needs. I wonder just how close my insecurities resemble theirs. I wonder if my sense of humor would make them smile, or if I'm really as weird as I think I am (being here assures me that I'm surely not alone in my sense of humor).

Merry Christmas heathen. Heart Hug

Cheers

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-12-2013, 03:01 PM
(22-12-2013 11:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Came across this video and it kinda reminded me of the forum. We interact frequently, but only through the anonymity of the web. Some of us more or less than others, some of us put more of ourselves here than others.

Cheers bro

[Image: sgjxqw.jpg]

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
23-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Yeah. I get all sentimental when I drink. You'll have to excuse me through the holidays here. Blush

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
23-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Cheers, and merry Christmas even. I often think of this when I see random strangers in the background of photos I've taken. I sometimes stop and wonder "who are they, what struggles are they having, what is their life like, and how odd that our paths will only cross in this one glimpse of a moment in time"
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
10-01-2014, 05:09 PM
This song rolled across pandora this afternoon. Made me think of "sonder" again.

Woulda been one hell of a catch, Girly. Wink

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post