Songs for grieving without Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2017, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2017 09:36 PM by Cosmo.)
Songs for grieving without Religion
I find that music helps me deal with pretty much anything, but when I go to look up songs for grieving with no religious undertone, they seem pretty short on supply.

If you know any, please help me out. Maybe people who need to grieve that don't believe will find this thread, and a little bit of comfort too.

I believe Sufjan wrote this whole album about the death of his mom, who struggled with addiction. This song really stood out to me.

Not sure what else to say honestly.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2017, 10:04 PM
RE: Songs for grieving without Religion
Hail To The Chief makes me want to cry right now.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
17-08-2017, 01:49 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
17-08-2017, 03:53 AM
Grief, death? Screw that!

Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
17-08-2017, 10:26 AM
(16-08-2017 09:28 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I find that music helps me deal with pretty much anything, but when I go to look up songs for grieving with no religious undertone, they seem pretty short on supply.

If you know any, please help me out. Maybe people who need to grieve that don't believe will find this thread, and a little bit of comfort too.

I believe Sufjan wrote this whole album about the death of his mom, who struggled with addiction. This song really stood out to me.

Not sure what else to say honestly.

Steven Wilson made a career out of it.

Man pretty much has a doctor's degree in Catharsis. To me, nobody can touch his work in this direction.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
17-08-2017, 10:33 AM

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-08-2017, 10:37 AM
This song haunted me as a kid back in the 70s.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
17-08-2017, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2017 10:51 AM by outtathereligioncloset.)
Not music, but a poem that I wish someone would set to music. I had never heard it until a funeral last year. Both my BFF and I want it read when our times come.

http://www.appleseeds.org/What-Matters.htm

I pull it up every once in a while to remind myself of its contents. I also had the phrase "Choose to live a life that matters" made into a pendant.

And by the way, the life of the person's funeral where I heard this read? Lived by it. He mattered a great deal to a great many people in ways that he largely kept to himself. The accolades of what a difference he made in various people's lives was overwhelming. Over and over you heard people say "I had no idea."

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams