Sonja

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2018, 10:19 AM
RE: Sonja
I've got a couple about the same age with similar health issues who also don't like the food the vet wants them on. I've largely come to the conclusion that they can have longer, unhappy lives forced to eat stuff they hate or maybe shorter but happier lives enjoying their meals. They get a mix of the special diet and what they like and we have relative peace.

Sonja probably needs time to adjust to the interloper and some extra attention and maybe you can let her cheat enough on her diet to feel better about things.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Very sorry to hear about poor Sonja. We are going through similar problems with our Trixie cat and have been there before with other cats. They get to be much loved family members. You never know what to do for them, cause them stress by treating them or leave them be. Either way makes you feel guilty and question what if? and should I have done that for them. I do hope Sonja starts eating soon and begins a recovery.
Best wishes
Steve

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
26-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Just a couple random comments, observations and remarks.

Cats often don't show physical distress until they simply can't hide it anymore -- so who knows how long Sonja has been unwell. Our old house-cat, hid his issues for nearly a year. It wasn't until he couldn't hide it anymore...It became glaringly obvious to everyone.

Try feeding Sonja in another room...Thirst is pretty innate, especially in cats, they'll drink when they're super thirsty. Although you might not like the water source they choose. I once found our cat drinking out of the toilet. He also learned to turn on the water faucets and would turn them off (at least he was weirdly considerate that way).

I used to swear, our cat was planning ways to kill us in our sleep. He used to sleep on our bed with us, except when he was super pissed at us. Sometimes I'd wake up and see him sitting my kid's changing table and just staring at us in bed. It creeped me out big time.

I hope Sonja recovers quickly, she's really a pretty kitty!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-01-2018, 12:57 PM
(26-01-2018 12:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Cats often don't show physical distress until they simply can't hide it anymore -- so who knows how long Sonja has been unwell. Our old house-cat, hid his issues for nearly a year. It wasn't until he couldn't hide it anymore...It became glaringly obvious to everyone.

Yeah, my wife and mother-in-law have said the same thing. Our cat Tenley who died almost three years ago was the same way. We didn't know anything was wrong until we could feel tumors while petting her.

Cats are like the men of the animal kingdom when it comes to seeking medical attention.

(26-01-2018 12:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Try feeding Sonja in another room...Thirst is pretty innate, especially in cats, they'll drink when they're super thirsty.

True. We started this last night. Here's hoping it works!

Part of why we kept her out of our room since we moved is because our comforter is too big to wash in our washing machine. It was easier to keep her out (even after ten years of her sleeping with us nightly) than to deal with the comforter if she puked on it. Now, I just want her better.

(26-01-2018 12:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He also learned to turn on the water faucets and would turn them off (at least he was weirdly considerate that way).

Holy shit! That's incredibly considerate. If Jack knew how to work the faucets, I think he'd turn them all on and leave them, just for the added noise/entertainment. He will drink from a faucet, and he gets a little water goatee, because he's pretty sloppy.

(26-01-2018 12:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I hope Sonja recovers quickly, she's really a pretty kitty!

Thanks and thanks, Moms! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-01-2018, 05:47 PM
I hope your kitty feels better soon Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
26-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Update: My wife took Sonja to the vet for a pain injection for the weekend (no pills for two days!) and a fluid injection. She’s eating again and acting more normal.

We’ll keep her separate from Jack for a while. She greeted me normally when I checked on her. I’m going to say “hi” again now that dinner is under control.

Thanks, again, everyone! Big Grin
[+] 7 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-01-2018, 06:22 PM
(26-01-2018 09:49 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(26-01-2018 09:26 AM)Aractus Wrote:  Unfortunately you can't really make a cat eat if they're not interested. The usual way to change diet is to do it progressively over a week or two. Cats and dogs don't really care about taste they care more about the smell of food, it's somewhat of a misconception that owners have that they're "fussy".

That's... not surprising. She usually eats dry food all the time and loves it. Every day, she's excited to get it. We've switched her to something different on the vet's orders, and she's shown little interest. That one day when she was eating, it was her old dry food. At this point, if we can just get her eating at all, we'll be happy.

Is the replacement food dry or wet? If it's wet I suggest finding a replacement dry food for her with lower protein and fat content. The main thing to look for with dry food for cats is grain-free food as grain is a cheap filler but difficult for cats to digest, and the fat and protein content is usually listed on the packet. Then as mentioned mix the food slowly over about 2 weeks from 100% old food to 100% new food and she should accept the change.

That's if she will eat though, I guess your first priority should be working out why she won't eat. Smile My suggestion would be to keep her food where she likes to eat it (for example Laundry or wherever you normally have it), and to feed Jack in another room that he can be locked in until Sonja has her food.

What the pill for by the way?

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Aractus's post
26-01-2018, 06:36 PM
If I had no memory of the last week, I wouldn’t think anything is wrong by how she’s acting. She’s purring and wanting attention. I’m just not looking forward to giving her pills in two days.

[Image: 246tf6h.jpg]

[Image: 2yo3lmg.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-01-2018, 07:01 PM
(26-01-2018 06:22 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(26-01-2018 09:49 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That's... not surprising. She usually eats dry food all the time and loves it. Every day, she's excited to get it. We've switched her to something different on the vet's orders, and she's shown little interest. That one day when she was eating, it was her old dry food. At this point, if we can just get her eating at all, we'll be happy.

Is the replacement food dry or wet? If it's wet I suggest finding a replacement dry food for her with lower protein and fat content. The main thing to look for with dry food for cats is grain-free food as grain is a cheap filler but difficult for cats to digest, and the fat and protein content is usually listed on the packet. Then as mentioned mix the food slowly over about 2 weeks from 100% old food to 100% new food and she should accept the change.

That's if she will eat though, I guess your first priority should be working out why she won't eat. Smile My suggestion would be to keep her food where she likes to eat it (for example Laundry or wherever you normally have it), and to feed Jack in another room that he can be locked in until Sonja has her food.

What the pill for by the way?

Wet originally, but both, now.

She has several pills, but the daily one is Pepcid AC. Luckily, she doesn’t need it for two days.
26-01-2018, 07:42 PM
(26-01-2018 06:36 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If I had no memory of the last week, I wouldn’t think anything is wrong by how she’s acting. She’s purring and wanting attention. I’m just not looking forward to giving her pills in two days.

[Image: 246tf6h.jpg]

[Image: 2yo3lmg.jpg]

That sounds like good news!

I only have one cat but we are currently trying to ease a new puppy into the crew around here. Ziggy thinks he needs to eat all the food but is getting better...I guess he realized that the puppy isn't going to eat it all...can't eat it all, in fact. Karm is as under-impressed with Quinn as she was/is with Ziggy. We started providing food for her upstairs as she is only dog allowed up there.

The cat's food couldn't stay on the washing machine because the little laundry has been where we have corralled the pup. So his food has been on my desk...the first place I put it wasn't tall enough to escape Ziggy's reach. Undecided

My sister has five cats...a couple of them are pretty old. Last year she dealt with pancreatitis in one of hers and a recurring bladder infection in another. I guess working from home helps her to be able to tend to each cat's specific needs. From what she has told me, each of her cats have staked out an area of the house as their own and the relationships between the cats are all different.

Extra attention...lots of it and try different things out till you find what works.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post