Sonja

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2018, 08:26 PM
RE: Sonja
Sorry dude. Hug

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Scenting is very important to cats. I don't know if this has been mentioned before (or you're already doing it), but it's essential to have two different kitty litter trays, one for each cat and in separate rooms.

It may also help (for scenting) to pat each cat, particularly around the head and cheeks, and without washing your hand, immediately pat the other cat's head area—alternating between each. Repeat a couple of times a day. This transfers one cat's pheromones to the other in order to make either or both less aggressive.

With Sonja's food, start by mixing a tiny amount of her new food into her old food, and progressively increase this until it's solely her new food—maybe after 10 days or so. And of course make sure they both have well-separated water and food dishes, but within the same room rather than two different rooms, and feed both at exactly the same time.

BTW, there's also no valid reason why cats should drink milk. Tap water's fine.

Good luck. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
29-01-2018, 08:23 AM
So, apparently the Pepcid AC isn't as necessary as I was thinking, and it was supposed to be to help get her eating, again. We have pain pills for her, which are supposed to help with overall comfort (obviously) and keeping her eating. The shot she got on Friday is wearing off, so we'll either have to start giving her pain pills again, or get her another shot. My wife is seriously considering getting her pain shots every few days just to keep her from being stressed from having pills dropped into her pried-open mouth. Of course, the cat-carrier and vet are stressors, too.

From my understanding, if the inflamed bowels go away (which should with time and eating), then the discomfort should go away, and we can continue treating the pancreatitis with her new food (which she is eating). We'll still have to figure out a way to keep Jack out of her food.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-01-2018, 08:54 AM
(29-01-2018 08:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, apparently the Pepcid AC isn't as necessary as I was thinking, and it was supposed to be to help get her eating, again. We have pain pills for her, which are supposed to help with overall comfort (obviously) and keeping her eating. The shot she got on Friday is wearing off, so we'll either have to start giving her pain pills again, or get her another shot. My wife is seriously considering getting her pain shots every few days just to keep her from being stressed from having pills dropped into her pried-open mouth. Of course, the cat-carrier and vet are stressors, too.

From my understanding, if the inflamed bowels go away (which should with time and eating), then the discomfort should go away, and we can continue treating the pancreatitis with her new food (which she is eating). We'll still have to figure out a way to keep Jack out of her food.

Awww poor kitty. Sad Make sure to give her lots of pettings and loving and kisses.

I don't suppose there's any way for you guys to administer the pain shots from home, is there? Guessing it's probably controlled.
29-01-2018, 09:10 AM
(29-01-2018 08:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, apparently the Pepcid AC isn't as necessary as I was thinking, and it was supposed to be to help get her eating, again. We have pain pills for her, which are supposed to help with overall comfort (obviously) and keeping her eating. The shot she got on Friday is wearing off, so we'll either have to start giving her pain pills again, or get her another shot. My wife is seriously considering getting her pain shots every few days just to keep her from being stressed from having pills dropped into her pried-open mouth. Of course, the cat-carrier and vet are stressors, too.

Would the vet be willing to teach you how to give the shots?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-01-2018, 09:38 AM
(29-01-2018 08:54 AM)Emma Wrote:  Awww poor kitty. Sad Make sure to give her lots of pettings and loving and kisses.

We've been going to bed early these last few nights, so we can be up in the room with her, for a while. When she's out and about, we pet her, but she seems just as content to be under the bed.

She did that at our last place, too. We had a king sized bed in the last house, with a bunch of stuff we kept under there. She could get to about the center of the bed from one area, where there were no boxes. When we sold the bed, we found five years worth of cat fur in that one, cat-sized spot she liked to lay. Goof.

(29-01-2018 09:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Would the vet be willing to teach you how to give the shots?

I'm not sure. My wife is the one who's been taking her, because she has the more open schedule during the work day.
14-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Update on Sonja:

For the last week or two, she hadn't really been eating. Enough to stave off death, but she'd lost a pound during this time. In addition to that being bad for obvious reasons, I guess the way she gets over pancreatitis is by eating. The inflamed bowels is supposed to require a change in diet, but the vet said that just getting her eating is way more important, and we can adjust diet when one problem is taken care of.

So, Monday, she was brought in for steroids. Apparently, that's given her her appetite back. She's been eating more than triple what she had been in those past weeks. She was still quite hungry as of this morning. Also, when we come up, she is meowing again, when prancing around her food dish. In the past, she had a fairly voiceless meow. I'm hoping this is enough to get her over the hump and on the mend. If nothing else, it's nice to see her so chipper, again.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
14-02-2018, 08:46 AM
(14-02-2018 07:39 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Update on Sonja:

For the last week or two, she hadn't really been eating. Enough to stave off death, but she'd lost a pound during this time. In addition to that being bad for obvious reasons, I guess the way she gets over pancreatitis is by eating. The inflamed bowels is supposed to require a change in diet, but the vet said that just getting her eating is way more important, and we can adjust diet when one problem is taken care of.

So, Monday, she was brought in for steroids. Apparently, that's given her her appetite back. She's been eating more than triple what she had been in those past weeks. She was still quite hungry as of this morning. Also, when we come up, she is meowing again, when prancing around her food dish. In the past, she had a fairly voiceless meow. I'm hoping this is enough to get her over the hump and on the mend. If nothing else, it's nice to see her so chipper, again.

Steroids will do that. I hope it gets her over the hump, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-02-2018, 08:57 AM
(14-02-2018 08:46 AM)Dom Wrote:  Steroids will do that. I hope it gets her over the hump, too.

Yeah, I'm hoping this results in only the occasional vet visit to make sure she's doing better. If nothing else that will hopefully help her mood and appetite.

Now, to hope she doesn't get the steroid side effects of "angry" and "small testicles".
14-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post