Sonja

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2018, 06:00 PM
RE: Sonja
Sonja is about back to her old weight and is showing interest in being downstairs more. She’s even tolerating Jack.

[Image: 2873uo6.jpg]

She’s still not “good”, but she’s way better.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Maybe she is getting over her snit brought on by the new guy. Tongue

She probably liked not sharing the attention and it does take time for older animals to get used to new young ones.

Seriously, I hope she is on the road to recovery. Thumbsup

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-02-2018, 06:57 PM
(26-02-2018 06:00 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Sonja is about back to her old weight and is showing interest in being downstairs more. She’s even tolerating Jack.

[Image: 2873uo6.jpg]

She’s still not “good”, but she’s way better.

That's great to hear! If you're changing her diet, you may want to consider what I suggested and look for a dry food replacement instead of the wet food the vet recommended and make the change gradual.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
26-02-2018, 07:21 PM
(29-01-2018 08:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, apparently the Pepcid AC isn't as necessary as I was thinking, and it was supposed to be to help get her eating, again. We have pain pills for her, which are supposed to help with overall comfort (obviously) and keeping her eating. The shot she got on Friday is wearing off, so we'll either have to start giving her pain pills again, or get her another shot. My wife is seriously considering getting her pain shots every few days just to keep her from being stressed from having pills dropped into her pried-open mouth. Of course, the cat-carrier and vet are stressors, too.

From my understanding, if the inflamed bowels go away (which should with time and eating), then the discomfort should go away, and we can continue treating the pancreatitis with her new food (which she is eating). We'll still have to figure out a way to keep Jack out of her food.

You may have to find a high spot for Sonya's food though with the 'on the shoulder' photos of the new guy that could be a challenge. Undecided

The cat gets dry food available all day and a third of a can of wet food for breakfast...which I am reminded of as soon as I open my eyes in the morning.

Due to the dogs, we feed the cat on the washing machine though he does share the drinking fountain with them.

Currently all the dogs are on puppy chow because there isn't any way to keep the adult dogs out of the puppy food and the puppy's system doesn't handle adult food well. It hasn't affected Karm's weight but Zig will be the size of a Burmese Mountain Dog by the time Quinn reaches a year. Facepalm

Sheesh...the things we do for our critters. Big Grin

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
26-02-2018, 08:19 PM
If she eats downstairs, we put jack in the cat carrier with his food while she eats.

Anyway, she sat on my lap for a good 30 minutes, today. She hasn't been in the mood for that in a while. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
27-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Despite the fact that she's been in the room with us every night for several weeks, she spent a few hours sleeping on my pillow, like she used to every night. She also wanted to come downstairs with me when I got up this morning.

I'm not sure if I'm reading anything into it, but she seems to want to be settling back into old routines.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
27-02-2018, 09:25 AM
I'm very pleased that Sonja is doing well. Give her a tickle behind her ears from me.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
27-02-2018, 10:08 AM
(27-02-2018 07:25 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Despite the fact that she's been in the room with us every night for several weeks, she spent a few hours sleeping on my pillow, like she used to every night. She also wanted to come downstairs with me when I got up this morning.

I'm not sure if I'm reading anything into it, but she seems to want to be settling back into old routines.

The appearance of the new cat played a big role in her declining health - she felt she had been ousted from the tribe. Thankfully she feels like she is part of things again. With the elderly, cat or otherwise, these things can make all the difference.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-02-2018, 11:22 AM
(27-02-2018 10:08 AM)Dom Wrote:  The appearance of the new cat played a big role in her declining health - she felt she had been ousted from the tribe. Thankfully she feels like she is part of things again. With the elderly, cat or otherwise, these things can make all the difference.

We'd wondered that. She seemed to want to just roll over to any resistance from Jack. We'd encourage her to muscle him out of the way (she's over twice his size) when he tries to steal her food, but she'd just get this resigned look and walk away.

We're trying to mitigate this by keeping him away while she's eating downstairs, and she's liking sitting on laps again. I think that makes her feel loved. She purred a lot yesterday.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-03-2018, 02:01 PM
I haven’t done an update on Sonja in a while.

While she's not at 100%, she's doing quite well. She's eating regularly and only taking medication something like twice a week.

Jack still likes to pounce her and she's having none of it, but that's because he's six months old and she's almost 14 years. Still, sometimes she can tolerate him:

[Image: ixf9mq.jpg]

Heart
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post