Sorry
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 04:38 PM by adey67.)
RE: Sorry
The greatest risk in life is not to take any risks at all. At the risk of having your wrath descend upon me I think you are being somewhat self indulgent. I'm 49 I'm fighting an alcohol problem (currently sober) I recently lost my second wife to divorce I have a criminal record and I'm currently living with my mom and I'm unemployed with few prospects for a job both my parents have dementia one is in a nursing home and my future is highly uncertain yet I try to remain grateful for small things like having good food and a roof over my head and also big things like my health, many here have significant health problems like cancer. Man up and take a risk or two and try to be grateful for what you have and if you're depressed go see a doctor I can't stress that enough depression is treatable but left un diagnosed it can be lethal don't do anything silly think about your family please.
Sorry to be so brutal but I think you need it, I don't have hate or anger at you consider this tough love Smile I wish you all the best. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
12-05-2016, 01:02 PM
I'm getting the "apology" thread mixed up with the "I'm sorry" thread. Oops Sorry about that. Dodgy Rolleyes

Meant to post the "I'm Sorry" song here.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-05-2016, 09:49 PM
I've decided to go ahead and attend W&M. I've thought extensively, and have had a long discussion with my parents about it. They are supportive of my decision. Yes, I will be putting myself into roughly $40k-$45k worth of student debt, but I've heard of a lot worse debt than that. I will be getting about $26k worth of financial grant/federal loan aid which will bring the remainder to about $16k per year for the two years I'm there. Add about $6k to that for the semster and a half the the community college and it comes to about $40k worth of student expenses.

Not to mention that my investment will be worth it as jobs in computer science are abundant and high-paying. I've taken the best advice I can and every source says it starts in the $60k per year range and easily moves up to the $100k per year territory quickly. I will be a very good student and will likely graduate with very good grades and intern experience to my credit. I think this is a feasible endeavor and its worth it to me.

You guys probably think I'm crazy but that's what I'm going with. Of course, you guys know I'd still like to hear your opinions even though it sounds like I've made up my mind.
12-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Go for it! Knock 'em dead! If I see you in here bitchin' about low grades I will personally remind you of what you said here, and verbally kick your ass. Get it going!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
12-05-2016, 10:14 PM
(12-05-2016 09:56 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Go for it! Knock 'em dead! If I see you in here bitchin' about low grades I will personally remind you of what you said here, and verbally kick your ass. Get it going!

Thanks fireball. I really do think its the right decision for me. I think people get worried about getting into student debt mainly because they plan on saving for a house and a family/children etc. But none of those things really interest me. Not saying they won't someday, but I'm pretty much looking at this as buying a new car, except a degree will actually provide me a return on my investment in the form of a nice income and job security. Plus it will give me the Ivy-league experience I want and the adventure of moving out of state and doing something remarkable with my life. I'd rather go into debt for that than to sit around here in the middle of nowhere being depressed thinking about killing myself everyday.
13-05-2016, 02:08 AM
Awesome well done young Sir ! Keep going and remember to believe in yourself Bowing
13-05-2016, 02:55 AM
(11-05-2016 06:27 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  I'm just having to live with the fact that I'm a loser, an undesirable who has failed at everything apart from breathing and remaining alive. I'm a 25 year-old unemployed, virgin loser still living with parents and completely dependent. I have dreams beyond what I'm capable of doing. Opposition and nay-sayers are not just around every corner, but everywhere in plain sight ready to tell me about how much I'm going to fail and not capable of doing anything worth while. I have something to prove that will never get proven. I want to leave this bullshit little town I come from and go to a prestigious school and become something great, but it will never happen. I'm a loser and I will always be a loser. It's not just measurable by the things I've done (or failed to do), its an objective part of who I am and my personality in general. This is why I think about killing myself every night.

Where do you get these ideas? You're only a loser once you give up.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-05-2016, 07:28 AM
(12-05-2016 09:49 PM)Tamiptump Wrote:  I've decided to go ahead and attend W&M. I've thought extensively, and have had a long discussion with my parents about it. They are supportive of my decision. Yes, I will be putting myself into roughly $40k-$45k worth of student debt, but I've heard of a lot worse debt than that. I will be getting about $26k worth of financial grant/federal loan aid which will bring the remainder to about $16k per year for the two years I'm there. Add about $6k to that for the semster and a half the the community college and it comes to about $40k worth of student expenses.

Not to mention that my investment will be worth it as jobs in computer science are abundant and high-paying. I've taken the best advice I can and every source says it starts in the $60k per year range and easily moves up to the $100k per year territory quickly. I will be a very good student and will likely graduate with very good grades and intern experience to my credit. I think this is a feasible endeavor and its worth it to me.

You guys probably think I'm crazy but that's what I'm going with. Of course, you guys know I'd still like to hear your opinions even though it sounds like I've made up my mind.
I have been following this and your other thread and honestly I think this is a very good decision.

The fact that you are open to leaving your comfort zone and experience new people and places is great. Your education is an investment, just know that you can start paying on your loans before you graduate. I would recommend trying to at least keep the amount of interest accrued as small as possible while still leaving some money for you to live on.

Computer Science is a great career. Have you considered what area you might want to specialize in? No worries if you don't know, you still have plenty of time to figure that out.
13-05-2016, 12:02 PM
(13-05-2016 07:28 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  Have you considered what area you might want to specialize in?

I figured I would just let the experience be my guide. Just immersing myself into the program, looking at extra-curriculars, and taking the courses, I will eventually find where I want to be.

A degree in computer science can lead to so many options for careers. I could get into scientific research in AI or AGI, I could go to med school or law school, basically the possibilities for graduate school are endless. A degree from W&M with decent performance opens up so many doors in the Ivy league and elite colleges for grad school.

I would like to get into one of the sciences if I can. I think computer science and neuroscience go together pretty well. There is a discipline known as computational neuroscience.

Of course, high-paying jobs for a comp. science major with a bachelor's degree are abundant and growing all the time. I believe it is a field that will only continue to grow with options.
14-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Looks like its not going to work out. It's just too expensive. I only qualify for so much in grants and loans, after that there is no good option for paying the remainder. Private loans are terrible.

I'm just going to remain out of college since I've already withdrawn from community college. I guess once you've reached my age and have failed you're just a piece of shit who is unworthy and unwelcome to do anything great.
Thread Closed