Soul or no soul?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2016, 10:01 PM
RE: Soul or no soul?
(21-06-2016 08:30 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I'm just curious, it's been mentioned a couple.. Few? Times that we have no souls. No spirit.. Nada.
I'm curious why anyone thinks we do or don't have one.
I mean if I don't have a spirit I'm going to be very disappointed. I had major plans on haunting things when I die..
I mean come on.. Who doesn't want to boop a bobble head in spirit form?

Personally, I've never come across what I have found to be a satisfactorily concrete definition of souls or spirits; they are always defined in vague gibberish. I have yet to encounter a solid definition which provides me with a clear and precise understanding of what a soul is, and what it does.
I would say that there is no evidence to suggest souls exist, but even that is being too generous to the subject, because until there is an agreed upon and functional definition of what they are and how they do, effectively no evidence could exist in a manner worth consideration.

It's not really a matter of what I want to be real or not; I would find the world far more interesting if there were remnants of ages gone by messing with people, but the same can be said if I could teleport or manipulate fire with my thoughts.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
21-06-2016, 10:41 PM
People feel they have a soul in the same way they feel there's a god. If they feel it, it must be true. Don't you guys know anything??

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
21-06-2016, 10:45 PM
I don't know what the fuck you going on about, I got two, one on the bottom of each of my shoes.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
22-06-2016, 12:38 AM
Immaterial souls which survive our deaths? Nah.

"Soul", in the sense of a personality being an emergent property of a fabulously complex brain interacting with its environment? No doubt.
22-06-2016, 12:47 AM
I'm totally going to haunt the absolute shit out of Muffs.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
22-06-2016, 02:01 AM
(21-06-2016 10:45 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't know what the fuck you going on about, I got two, one on the bottom of each of my shoes.

If you stand on one leg then that shoe will be your sole support...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
22-06-2016, 03:40 AM
Soul:

Not soul:

[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
22-06-2016, 04:52 AM
No soul and I'm not spiritual. I'm just human like the rest.
[+] 2 users Like Zeff's post
22-06-2016, 05:11 AM
(21-06-2016 08:30 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I'm just curious, it's been mentioned a couple.. Few? Times that we have no souls. No spirit.. Nada.
I'm curious why anyone thinks we do or don't have one.

One reason is that there is no scientific evidence for a soul. No way to measure or examine one. Although there is a fairly consistent definition of a soul, specifics can vary widely.

The most common definition I know is that the soul is the sense of self awareness or consciousness that continues to exist after death. Again, specifics can vary widely.

There are a number of things that make up our sense of self: Consciousness, awareness, memories, personality, etc.
All of these things can change due to things like external chemicals (drugs), injury, age deterioration, mental illness and disease.

Literally, who we are can change radically. Everything that makes us who we are can be erased or altered, temporarily and/or permanently.

If there was an eternal part of us, that wouldn't be true.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-06-2016, 06:38 AM
The only soul I know is David....of Starsky & Hutch fame. Tongue

[Image: qGHz9Sf.jpg]

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post