Soul or no soul?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2016, 07:57 AM
RE: Soul or no soul?
Let me do some soul searching...... erm, nope, didn't find it. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
22-06-2016, 08:27 AM
(22-06-2016 12:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm totally going to haunt the absolute shit out of Muffs.

[Image: enhanced-buzz-15335-1338832528-9.jpg]

Quote:If you stand on one leg then that shoe will be your sole support...

What if I'm using my hands for support and have shoes on my hands?
Didn't think of that did ya. Don't have a leg to stand on now do ya?

Check and mate son.

[Image: oscar.png]
22-06-2016, 09:25 AM
(21-06-2016 08:30 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I'm just curious, it's been mentioned a couple.. Few? Times that we have no souls. No spirit.. Nada.
I'm curious why anyone thinks we do or don't have one.
I mean if I don't have a spirit I'm going to be very disappointed. I had major plans on haunting things when I die..
I mean come on.. Who doesn't want to boop a bobble head in spirit form?
And what is meant by soul or spirit?

Do you the classic query of the Anima, that special essence that seperates the living moving things from the rocks and clay? That used to be the soul question until further understanding of electric and chemical reactions ongoing within us were understood. If that's the soul or spirit, yeah that exists.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-06-2016, 09:59 AM
I'm not really into soul, but I would keep it around for those that like it.
I'm more into classical.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-06-2016, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2016 11:15 AM by Commonsensei.)
My wife feels we are soul mates. (in the litral sense) She brought up something about the soul the other night. And I asked her "what is a soul?" She got taken back because she never really thought of it before. "You know what a soul is." she stated

"No honey, I really don't. Where is it?"

"In your body."

"What part?"

"The heart."

"So people with artificial hearts don't have a soul?"

"Well no they do...It's in other parts of the body also."

"So if someone lost an arm and leg they lost part of their soul? What about when you cut your hair or clip you toenails. Do you loose your soul every time you go to the nail saloon?"

No. They. Why are you asking me these questions?

I want to learn. If you know something about the soul and I don't. I want to learn about it. Because I don't know. When you talk about the soul, it's how I would describe conciseness, which can be shown as a function of the brain.

I just want to go to bed. Don't ask me these types of things. You make my brain hurt.

Big Grin

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
22-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Don't have one. Don't want one.
22-06-2016, 11:30 AM
No evidence that a soul exists. If someone can scientifically demonstrate that the soul exists somehow, then that'd be dandy.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
22-06-2016, 11:40 AM
(22-06-2016 11:11 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  My wife feels we are soul mates. (in the litral sense) She brought up something about the soul the other night. And I asked her "what is a soul?" She got taken back because she never really thought of it before. "You know what a soul is." she stated

"No honey, I really don't. Where is it?"

"In your body."

"What part?"

"The heart."

"So people with artificial hearts don't have a soul?"

"Well no they do...It's in other parts of the body also."

"So if someone lost an arm and leg they lost part of their soul? What about when you cut your hair or clip you toenails. Do you loose your soul every time you go to the nail saloon?"

No. They. Why are you asking me these questions?

I want to learn. If you know something about the soul and I don't. I want to learn about it. Because I don't know. When you talk about the soul, it's how I would describe conciseness, which can be shown as a function of the brain.

I just want to go to bed. Don't ask me these types of things. You make my brain hurt.

Big Grin

I hope you have a comfy couch. Angel

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
22-06-2016, 12:38 PM
If anyone is interested, I highly recommend reading The Soul Fallacy by Julien Musolino.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
22-06-2016, 01:54 PM
I think we would have to redefine what a soul is, I've discussed this a lot and the only thing I can imagine it could be is everything that makes us alive outside of our physical bodies. Yes we are alive because our brains are receiving oxygen and our hearts are beating but if we combine our consciousness, our emotions, our memories, etc. altogether that would be our "soul" and it can exist outside the physical body as written words or art created by the person after they die but once they die they cease to be completely except for whatever they left behind.

So as far as the religious or the romantic soul, I'm afraid it doesn't exist.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]