Souls -- Yeah, sure.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2015, 11:14 AM
RE: Souls -- Yeah, sure.
(05-12-2015 07:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 10:08 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  I remember somebody citing the "fact" that at the moment of death, a human body loses some small amount of weight and this, therefore, was "evidence" for the existence of a "soul," and that the loss of weight was the soul exiting the body.

Funny, seeing as I thought the soul was non-physical and as a non-physical thing, it wouldn't have "weight."

Oops.

Your weight changes every 3 seconds or so.

It's called BREATHING.

When you croak - you quit - your lungs deflate --- AND YOU WEIGH LESS!!!!

[/ruining crackpot theories]

Which is why the soul is in the lungs!

Actually, when you get into the nature of the words, you see parallels between "spirit" and breathing. I think it might have had a more literal meaning -- anything that had breath in it -- and then morphed into something more metaphorical and supernatural.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
I don't believe in souls, but I do believe in soulmates (in the generic sense). I think there is someone out there for everyone who just gets you, who you are as a person etc.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-12-2015, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2015 11:28 AM by Reltzik.)
... so souls don't exist but can still get it on? Tongue

Cue rule 34 in 3... 2... wait, that's probably been around for years, hasn't it?

... no, I'm not asking for links.

EDIT-ADDITION: Yeah, okay, soulmates are a pretty nice, charming, and warming idea. Until you think about how utterly appalling it is.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
05-12-2015, 12:39 PM
(05-12-2015 11:20 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't believe in souls, but I do believe in soulmates (in the generic sense). I think there is someone out there for everyone who just gets you, who you are as a person etc.
There was a book long ago that discussed it, titled Anam Cara. It's Gaelic for soul friend. It's a soul mate but not necessarily in the romantic sense.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
(05-12-2015 11:20 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't believe in souls, but I do believe in soulmates (in the generic sense). I think there is someone out there for everyone who just gets you, who you are as a person etc.

I'm just happy I found someone who will put up with me....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-12-2015, 10:21 PM
(05-12-2015 12:39 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
There was a book long ago that discussed it, titled Anam Cara. It's Gaelic for soul friend. It's a soul mate but not necessarily in the romantic sense.

sounds interesting, I'll put it on my 'read later' list

fun fact: was playing Rome II and the Gaelic Confederation was constantly attacking my territory till I just subjugated them