Sounthern saying, Please help!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Sounthern saying, Please help!!
This has been bugging me. A friend of my wife's said that my son "wouldn't know her from Tom's cat". I know it means that he doesn't know her but where does it come from? I put it directly into google and it only came back with people who have used the expression and I could not find a place that gave me any information to the origin. Anyone know? I know there are a few Southerners here.

Thanks,

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2014, 08:30 PM
RE: Sounthern saying, Please help!!
I always heard it said, "Didn't know him from Adam's house cat." Hmmm....interesting. Consider

I didn't ever bother to point out that I don't recall mention of Adam having a house.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Or a cat.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
17-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Apparently in Texas we've dropped the house and the cat entirely. I've only ever heard "Don't know him from Adam"

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
17-12-2014, 09:15 PM
The person who said this was from Mississippi BTW.

But even then, who the hell is Adam? The biblical one?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
17-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Oh wait, d'uh - Anjele's from Texas as well. My bad. Blush Maybe it's just these crazy folks 'round my parts of Texas. Hobo Tongue

17-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Hmmm.... I'm going caroling Friday night with the more country side of my family. I'll ask them. I've used it in the context of "I realize you don't know me from Adam, but.."

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
17-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Check this link.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ada1.htm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-12-2014, 09:26 PM
(17-12-2014 09:16 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Oh wait, d'uh - Anjele's from Texas as well. My bad. Blush Maybe it's just these crazy folks 'round my parts of Texas. Hobo Tongue

I'm a new Texan but I spent over 20 years in SC before coming here. And I have a southern side - my mother's family has been in NC for many generations.

17-12-2014, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2014 10:20 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
(17-12-2014 09:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Check this link.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ada1.htm

Thanks for the link. That does explain why searching Tom gave me nothing. But now I wonder where Tom came from............

I am also curious what Nurse's family say. Apparently it is Tom in parts of Mississippi and who knows elsewhere. This seems rather silly to ask this stuff but I have never heard this expression before. Thanks for all the replies.

- Paul Dirac