Soup Time.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Soup Time.
I am a soupaholic. There is almost always some sort of soup available for a quick meal in my kitchen. (at the moment it happens to be 9 bean with bacon soup, made with sprouted beans and diced potatoes)

I think we need a thread to share soup recipes. I really need something different for my next batch.

Any ideas?

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
14-06-2013, 12:59 PM
RE: Soup Time.
(14-06-2013 12:44 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I am a soupaholic. There is almost always some sort of soup available for a quick meal in my kitchen. (at the moment it happens to be 9 bean with bacon soup, made with sprouted beans and diced potatoes)

I think we need a thread to share soup recipes. I really need something different for my next batch.

Any ideas?

I have an ultra simple soup that is great on cold days.

2 Cans Corned Beef (crumbled into small pieces roughly the same size as the potatoes)
2 lbs Diced Potatoes (small cubes roughly 1/4") Peeled or skin on, depending on your preference
1 large yellow onion, (fine dice)
1/4 cup of oil (to sweat the onions)
salt to taste
Other spices optional (I like garlic and onion powder, Parsley, and smoked paprika)

In a large stock pot (2 gallon or bigger) add your oil and onions with a pinch of salt over medium heat. Stir until translucent and then add the rest of the ingredients and cover by 1/2 and inch of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to med-low and simmer until the Potatoes are cooked through. Serve with crusty bread. Optional Take a stick blender and puree to thicken.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Oh, I love soup!

But most of my soups are completely by accident. Once I over-cooked zucchini and turned it into the best soup. But I honestly haven't a clue what I did.

If I try to make soup, I fail.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

14-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Ohhhhh another perfect winter... earthquake... fuck me it's still going... well that was.. wait, aftershock..., not as big the other night though.... anyway, where was I before I was interrupted? Oh yes, soup, the other perfect winter food.
I haven't had soup in soooo long..

My Dad is a master soup maker.
His specialty is pea and ham soup. Ohhhhhhh it's soooooo good.
And like you same Stark, it's brilliant because you can just heat up a bowl of it in the microwave and you're ready to go.
Keeps in the freezer well too.

I'm facebooking my mom, I want that recipe now.
Though my favorite soup he makes is tomato and beef or something like that. *drools*
I'll post the recipes when my mom sends me them.

He makes it all from scratch, no store brought stock or anything.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
14-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Yea - I have to credit my Mom for making soup from scratch every Saturday when I was a kid. I don't think I appreciated it then... but OH, I can't live without it now. I think hers was also a kind of Frankensoup - just whatever was on hand she kind of made sure it worked into the mix. A lot of times it was heavy on seasonal produce - whatever was growing, that was soup.

I got my brother a Vitamix for xmas. It can not only puree everything into soup, the new ones also spin so fast that it actually boils it up as well. Just toss it in and it's hot soup in four minutes. He told me I'd have to come and practice using it sometime. I can't wait to commandeer it and make us up a butternut squash bisque... maybe with a hint of dill.

Drooling

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-06-2013, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2013 05:49 PM by Stark Raving.)
Ahhhh, garbage soup. I make garbage soup once a week. Usually the day before I go shopping in the city. Clean up any leftovers. The weekend is when I make a recipe soup. My specialty is cream of bacon and potato. It's a labor intensive recipe, but worth it. Especially during the cold months of winter. Nothing warms you up like a heavy cream soup.

Here's my 9 bean recipe. It's a good one because it also acts as a garbage soup recipe for a lot of veggies...

1 cup dry 9 bean mix, or any pea/bean you prefer.
1/2 pound bacon
Two large onions
Four medium potatoes
1 red pepper
2 liters soup stock. (I like half beef and half chicken, but as long as it's good, homemade stock, any will do)
Veggies: pretty much any soup veggies you prefer. Just be careful not to overwhelm the soup with any one ingredient. Use small amounts like 1 carrot, a stalk or two of celery, a few sprigs of parsley, a leaf of shredded chard, etc etc.
Soup seasoning. This is your signature, but again, go easy. Let the bacon and beans be the stand out part of the soup. Just a bay leaf, a shake of Italian seasoning, and a dash of salt and pepper is plenty IMO.

First soak or sprout your beans. I like to sprout them, but soaking overnight will do. Just make sure the get a minimum of 12 hours of soaking. Under soaked beans make crappy soup. Sprouting makes them healthier and more tender as well as more flavor.

Fry diced bacon in LARGE skillet. Remove from skillet and place in slow cooker.

In remaining grease, fry onions. Once they just begin to soften, add other veggies, EXCEPT potatoes. Add seasonings. Cover and let steam for 3 or 4 minutes. Place in slow cooker.

Add soup stock to skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up all the little baconey brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Once boiling, add diced potatoes, and cook until about half done. Pour it all into the slow cooker, and cook on low for at least 8 hours, and no longer than 12, lest he beans get mushy.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
14-06-2013, 06:13 PM
It's not garbage soup, it's Goupe (Goop) Melange. Smile

That's what hubby used to call it. I make soups all the time, and usually I go into the garden and pick whatever is there, veggies and herbs, throw it in a pot and off I go. I usually add some sort of meat or fish and some grain, and more often than not some beans. And of course I use leftovers.

I make a pea soup with ham, which is just that. I do that in the crock pot. I do most soups in the crockpot. Throw it in in the morning, eat it in the evening. Works for me.

Others are lentils with smoked sausage, onion soup topped with a cheese toast, tomato soup, chicken soup and so forth.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-06-2013, 11:18 PM
My dad was an awesome maker of soups (and stews) - he picked up a lot of recipes in war days whilst his daughter isn't as clever Undecided
My sons favourite is creamy pumpkin. I like any soup - probably prefer creamy ones, though.
I'm going to invest in one of those new fandangle soup making machines that not only blend but heat as well. A good time saver - don't have a lot of that now (working full-time and studying).
So nutritious and mouth-watering!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
15-06-2013, 01:54 AM
OK. beef and tomato soup:
simmer your shin bone slowly until the meat falls off the bone with some Kings dried soup mix. That's the dried peas etc and it should be in the soup dept of your supermarket. The dried peas etc take about half an hour to cook. Chew the bone yourself or give it to a dog . Let the stock cool and skim off any excess fat that settles on the top. Reheat stock, meat and soup mix. Gently brown a chopped onion, add a bit of celery and add to simmering stock and meat. Add a tin or two of tomatoes (chop them up roughly first). Heat through and enjoy. You could add some herbs if you want but some tinned tomatoes have basil etc already added to them.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
16-06-2013, 04:41 PM
(14-06-2013 05:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  First soak or sprout your beans. I like to sprout them, ...

Brilliant! I just finished sprouting some chickpeas and mung beans. Think I'm gonna make a green tea soup (yes, green tea is the broth) with the mung bean sprouts and some seaweed over black rice. ... Not sure what protein I'll add, maybe a little fish.

[Image: sprouts.jpg]

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post