Sources for stats about atheism growth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Sources for stats about atheism growth
TTA starts with a Hitchens quote about the fastest growing grip of people in the world are those who have no belief or who are atheist. Can someone provide the facts and stats to that end?

Also, are the numbers different in North America vs world entire? What are the numbers showing specifically in North America about the growth rate of atheism and the exodus from religion?

I'm asking because a friend is convinced that it's the Islam population that is booming in North America. Maybe because of the birth and immigration rate?

Anyway, I welcome any help in making my case that atheism is growing rapidly in North America. THANKS! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2014, 01:01 PM
RE: Sources for stats about atheism growth
I got no stats.

It's a matter of faith.

Welcome to the forum.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Google atheist demographics.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
29-08-2014, 01:05 PM
And keep in mind that many people don't believe in the supernatural but don't call themselves 'atheist' because they don't want the baggage that comes along with it. Some use skeptic, free thinker, humanist, agnostic, none and a myriad of other terms.

In many ways, it's kind of hard to get numbers because of it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
29-08-2014, 01:07 PM
(29-08-2014 12:58 PM)Kruszer Wrote:  TTA starts with a Hitchens quote about the fastest growing grip of people in the world are those who have no belief or who are atheist. Can someone provide the facts and stats to that end?

Also, are the numbers different in North America vs world entire? What are the numbers showing specifically in North America about the growth rate of atheism and the exodus from religion?

I'm asking because a friend is convinced that it's the Islam population that is booming in North America. Maybe because of the birth and immigration rate?

Anyway, I welcome any help in making my case that atheism is growing rapidly in North America. THANKS! Smile

Religions are losing members - "The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling. The challenge to Christianity in the U.S. does not come from other religions but rather from a rejection of all forms of organized religion. The “Nones” (no stated religious preference, atheist, or agnostic) continue to grow, from 8.2% in 1990, to 14.1% in 2001, to 15.0% in 2008, to over 21% in 2012. 34% off all US adults under 30 are unaffiliated."

University of Arizona and Northwestern University recent study projects the extinction of religion in Australia, Austria, the Czech Republic, Canada, Finland, Ireland, New Zealand, the Netherlands and Switzerland. They will be entirely comprised of non-believers. The study also found that "Americans without affiliation comprise the only religious group growing in all 50 states." Religions is declining because of the increase in choice, education, information, bad press, the idea that it is useless or counterproductive and the idea that its fundamental principles are illogical."

Is religion dying? By Diana Butler Bass - “In the last dozen years, American religious institutions have undergone a myriad of crises--abuse scandals, conflicts, schism, and partisan political entanglement, to name a few--resulting in a great religious recession. Poll after poll reveals that organized religions --mainline Protestant, evangelical, Roman Catholic, and Jewish --are in varying states of disarray and decline. Sadness, even doom, has gripped many congregations, as the formerly faithful disaffiliate, and those who remain struggle to pay clergy and fix leaky roofs. The unaffiliated and atheists have been rising for thirty years.”

Atheism on the rise around the globe - "According to a new poll, religiosity worldwide is declining while more people say they are atheists. In the United States, a growing number consider themselves non-believers.

Atheism is on the rise in the United States and elsewhere while religiosity is declining, according to a new worldwide poll. “The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,” conducted by WIN-Gallup International headquartered in Switzerland, found that the number of Americans who say they are “religious” dropped from 73 percent in 2005 – when the poll was last conducted – to 60 percent. And 33 percent of the people polled said that they don’t consider themselves as a “religious person."

Washington (CNN) – The fastest growing "religious" group in America is made up of people with no religion at all, according to a Pew survey showing that one in five Americans is not affiliated with any religion.

The number of these Americans has grown by 25% just in the past five years, according to a survey released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09...ffiliated/

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
29-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Graph below shows the situation here in the UK, data from the British Social Attitudes survey.

Just over 50% of people here now have no religion, looks like within a couple of decades that will be up at 70-80%

It's a huge social shift, happening very quickly.

[Image: 1280px-Bsa-religion-question.svg.png]
[+] 3 users Like phil.a's post
29-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks! That is exactly the info I was looking for! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Kruszer's post
29-08-2014, 02:10 PM
(29-08-2014 01:53 PM)Kruszer Wrote:  Thanks! That is exactly the info I was looking for! Smile

OK bear in mind that's for the UK - there's a similar trend in the US but numbers of non-religious are still quite a bit lower than the UK (about 20% i think)

Edit: found this
29-08-2014, 02:22 PM
(29-08-2014 02:10 PM)phil.a Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 01:53 PM)Kruszer Wrote:  Thanks! That is exactly the info I was looking for! Smile

OK bear in mind that's for the UK - there's a similar trend in the US but numbers of non-religious are still quite a bit lower than the UK (about 20% i think)

One way to interpret that chart is that Protestants are de-converting, while Catholics are still chugging right along in their beliefs, oblivious to any trends. As an ex-Catholic, part of me wants to say "Yes! You go, Catholics!" Of course, in reality, I know the Catholics are just as deluded as the rest of 'em.

I wonder, though, if atheists in England are more willing to admit it. Here in the US, there is still a significant stigma attached to atheism. I would bet that a lot of the people who identify as Protestant or Catholic in the polls are really atheist or agnostic, and just aren't willing to "go public". So the "real" numbers are probably a bit different than what the chart shows.
30-08-2014, 12:19 AM
(29-08-2014 02:22 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 02:10 PM)phil.a Wrote:  OK bear in mind that's for the UK - there's a similar trend in the US but numbers of non-religious are still quite a bit lower than the UK (about 20% i think)

One way to interpret that chart is that Protestants are de-converting, while Catholics are still chugging right along in their beliefs, oblivious to any trends. As an ex-Catholic, part of me wants to say "Yes! You go, Catholics!" Of course, in reality, I know the Catholics are just as deluded as the rest of 'em.

I wonder, though, if atheists in England are more willing to admit it. Here in the US, there is still a significant stigma attached to atheism. I would bet that a lot of the people who identify as Protestant or Catholic in the polls are really atheist or agnostic, and just aren't willing to "go public". So the "real" numbers are probably a bit different than what the chart shows.

Possibly that's so - although the survey would have been anonymous, so not really any need not to spill the beans.

I do think Britain is a lot less religious than the US, I'm not quite sure why, although I think it might have to do with America being founded by all the religious fundamentalists in Europe who went to america to escape persecution.

So basically - we off-loaded our religion problem on to you guys, sorry bout that :-)

Try persecuting them, perhaps they'll go somewhere else? Worked for us!

Phil
[+] 2 users Like phil.a's post