South African rugby quota System.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2017, 04:29 AM
South African rugby quota System.
Hello so one of the many reasons South African rugby has declined is because of the quota System for those of you who don't know The team is picked not on skill but on there race.for more info see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyAgR3q3rAk&t=263s. Tell me what you think of this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2017, 05:08 AM
RE: South African rugby quota System.
They just recently emerged third in the World Cup behind only New Zealand and Australia. They won it in 2007. They are the reigning champions in Rugby Sevens World Series. It's not clear what you mean by decline.

You can't win everything. Certainly not against the All Blacks or the Wallabies.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-01-2017, 05:18 AM
Its strange you don't see it,all the newspapers here are always complaining of how springbok rugby is getting worst espiecialy losing to japan., . my high school principle always complained about it, it became annoying but that was not really the question I think the quota System prevents the team from reaching their full potential. it Also changes the coaches frequently. but it want to know what your opinion on the quota system is.
09-01-2017, 05:40 AM
(09-01-2017 05:18 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Its strange you don't see it,all the newspapers here are always complaining of how springbok rugby is getting worst espiecialy losing to japan., . my high school principle always complained about it, it became annoying but that was not really the question I think the quota System prevents the team from reaching their full potential. it Also changes the coaches frequently. but it want to know what your opinion on the quota system is.

I assume this complaint cannot be based on facts when it comes to rugby sevens.

I am not very familiar with the quota stories because I am not in South Africa. I have seen the rugby teams play though and they are generally competitive at the highest levels. Once in a while strong teams are humbled by the weaker ones like Japan.

Without seeing more evidence I can't make a call on the quota system. It might be the only way to shine a light on undiscovered talent from disadvantaged blacks. Do you have any example of a current member of the team that is undeserving?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-01-2017, 06:14 AM
perhaps it is. but still how would you feel if you knew you are better than the person who replaces you only because they are a different race than you. whats more the minister of sport wants there to be only 50% white players in the team by 2019. another shocking fact is 75% of the population says that you should only be chosen if you are the best person for the position. I am not saying that the players of color are Bad for example I thing habana and beast are suited for there position but others mainly the younger ones are only chosen by there color. Fun fact the minister said that transformation is more important Than wining.
09-01-2017, 06:53 AM
(09-01-2017 06:14 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  perhaps it is. but still how would you feel if you knew you are better than the person who replaces you only because they are a different race than you. whats more the minister of sport wants there to be only 50% white players in the team by 2019. another shocking fact is 75% of the population says that you should only be chosen if you are the best person for the position. I am not saying that the players of color are Bad for example I thing habana and beast are suited for there position but others mainly the younger ones are only chosen by there color. Fun fact the minister said that transformation is more important Than wining.

I would feel bad if someone worse took my spot merely because of their race. I would feel the same if they do it only because of their connections. But life happens. So I cut my losses and look for something else.

[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
09-01-2017, 08:17 AM
I'm not particularly a fan of the quota system - it seems odd and I'm not sure if it'll have its intended effect. I do think though that the reasons the Springbok rugby team has been doing badly are deeper than some simple issue like quotas being a bad idea.

I also think that politicisation of sport in SA is a fucken dogshow.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-01-2017, 08:28 AM
(09-01-2017 08:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  I'm not particularly a fan of the quota system - it seems odd and I'm not sure if it'll have its intended effect. I do think though that the reasons the Springbok rugby team has been doing badly are deeper than some simple issue like quotas being a bad idea.

I also think that politicisation of sport in SA is a fucken dogshow.

It could be anything. It could even be overall decline in talent not necessarily caused by inclusion of minorities - oops majorities. I still see South Africans as one of the teams nobody wants play against.

[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
09-01-2017, 08:39 AM
(09-01-2017 08:28 AM)tomilay Wrote:  It could be anything. It could even be overall decline in talent not necessarily caused by inclusion of minorities. I still see South Africans as one of the teams nobody wants play against.

I think it's a sudden faltering, a sudden lack of belief in themselves. Springbok rugby players are almost worshipped as gods over here, definitely among white middle class people they almost define themselves by their pride in the rugby team. And now that team has been losing. It's a blow not only to national pride but also to the players of the team. It's somewhat silly. Anyway, the net result is that players and fans alike share a sense of desperation, even when playing minnows who should ordinarily never trouble the side at all... which is not a winning mindset. They could scrap the quota system tomorrow and it wouldn't make an iota of difference.

The exception as you correctly said is the sevens side, who (funnily enough for OPs hypothesis) include plenty of talented black players. I think mainly that's down to good coaching and lack of pressure - sevens isn't so widely watched in SA nor is the national psyche (or at least the white middle class psyche) so intimately tied to their performance.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-01-2017, 12:41 PM
(09-01-2017 04:29 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Hello so one of the many reasons South African rugby has declined is because of the quota System for those of you who don't know The team is picked not on skill but on there race.for more info see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyAgR3q3rAk&t=263s. Tell me what you think of this.
It's the worst I've ever seen SA. Such a shame since they were NZ's greatest and most worthy opponents for a very long time. If we happened to win a series in SA then it was big, big news.
Rugby needs SA to do well.

I am entirely against racist policies and using them to overcome perceived raciest inequalities is an ironic joke.