South Korean Christian Assulted My Girlfriend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 11:52 PM
South Korean Christian Assulted My Girlfriend
So I'm an American English teacher and I've been living in South Korea for 4 years. For much of that time I've been in a relationship with a Korean woman named Michelle. I'm an atheist, and though she was raised Buddhist she's a free thinker and doesn't really adhere to the religion she grew up in. And neither of us can stand Korean Christians.

They are often found waiting outside subways or in the train stations, wearing yellow sashes with giant red crosses while hawking their beliefs with tracts and shouts of vitriol. They've come up to me several times during my stay here and I've always shooed them off sternly. But my girlfriend isn't as assertive as I am.

The other night she was going home after seeing me and as usual there was a large group of Christians chanting, praying, and passing out leaflets to passersby. As Michelle walked by them, an older woman tried to give her a pamphlet, which Michelle refused. The woman followed her briefly, claiming my girlfriend was going to hell and that she was in grave need of "God's blessing". When Michelle refused to react the woman struck her across the back. Fear gripped her and she started running for her bus with the Christian woman shouting at her about accepting Jesus. She phoned me as soon as she got home and told me what happened. I knew Korean Christians were a VERY passionate and evangelical bunch, but I never thought one would hit my girlfriend just for refusing to take a fucking leaflet!!!!!

I'm not bashing on this country. I love living in Korea. But I thought I would share this story to let everyone know that Christians are crazy the world over. And while that's a broad statement, I really don't care. The majority of Christians I've met have been overbearing pricks, including my entire family. I will say this. That older woman better count her lucky stars I wasn't there when she hit my girlfriend. This blonde, blue eyed, bitch of an American girl would have sent her to meet jesus sooner than she'd realize.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Braveanglo's post
08-06-2012, 12:03 AM
RE: South Korean Christian Assulted My Girlfriend
That's pretty fucked up. Are you going to press charges? What are the protection laws like over there?

If the law doesn't do anything it might be worthwhile for you to set this woman straight by having a little 'talk' with her! Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
08-06-2012, 12:13 AM
(08-06-2012 12:03 AM)aurora Wrote:  That's pretty fucked up. Are you going to press charges? What are the protection laws like over there?

If the law doesn't do anything it might be worthwhile for you to set this woman straight by having a little 'talk' with her! Yes
There is no legal recourse for this incident. Culturally, the younger generation is subservant to the elder generation to the point that it's ridiculous. While that is changing and the younger ones are rebelling and becoming more democratic minded, the elders still expect to be obeyed. By not taking the tract, my girlfriend was disobeying her elder and was "punished" in a way. Not all elders are like this, though. This was a special case. I find that my older Korean friends who are not religious are more minded towards progress and equality, while the conservative, religious ones like the old traditional way of doing things. If I could find this older woman I would set her straight. Makes me wanna to go Dongam Station (my girlfriend's subway stop) and taunt the Christians there. They've harrassed me there too, but never laid a hand on me.

Actually, according to a friend of mine who has some experience with this, even if Michelle had reacted to the assault and hit the woman back in self defense Michelle would still go to jail. There is no "Self Defense" law in Korea.
08-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Ah yes, but she could have turned to face the Christian lady and then get into her face, without touching her ever and just screem in her face: WHAT, WHAT, WHAT, WHAT DO YOU WANT, WHAT DO YOU WANT, WHAT DO YOU WANT, I DON'T HEAR WELL, IS SOMETHING WRONG, WHAT? WHY DID YOU HIT ME, WHY, WHY, WHY? WHAT DO YOU WANT... And continue that until the bitch leaves. Without touching her and keeping a small distance, I am pretty sure that the police could not do anything and the Christian would be humiliated or at least yelled at.

Smile

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

P.S.
I'm sure she didn't hit her hard, so there really was no reason for anything like this, did it? It was more unpleasent that some crazy lady is touching you in the street, I wouldn't want that either, but somethimes it's better to let things go, than to make a big scene for nothing. If she hit her good, then some kind of punishment is in order.

As for the tradition in Korea and Christianity... WTF is wrong with people there, don't they realize that Christianity was introduced in the middle of 20th century, so it is pretty new, not a tradition. Traditional religions in Korea are Confucianism, Buddhism, Taoism and Korean Shamanism.

According to 2005 statistics compiled by the South Korean government, about 46% of citizens profess to follow no particular religion. Christians account for 29.2% of the population (of which are Protestants 18.3% and Catholics 10.9%) and Buddhists 22.8%.

So, Korea is pretty atheistic country, it is just that fucktards never know anything about history, tradition, moral, religions and yet they always scream like they know everything. Silver bullets for them, just to be sure...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-06-2012, 02:56 AM
It sucks living in a place where the law offers no protection, it's the same here.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
08-06-2012, 03:02 AM
And here is where?

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
08-06-2012, 03:09 AM
UAE. As an ex-pat I know if I got into any trouble, especially if it involved a local, the police wouldn't bother about the truth and I would automatically be the guilty party.

I don't know anything about Korea but I know that feeling of helplessness really sucks.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
08-06-2012, 03:38 AM
Yeah, the locals are always right in these "traditional" countries. The courts don't even listen to you, because they "know" you are wrong as soon as they see your face. Kinda typical for Middle East and south Asia, isn't it?

-Hunter S. Thompson
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
(08-06-2012 03:38 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yeah, the locals are always right in these "traditional" countries. The courts don't even listen to you, because they "know" you are wrong as soon as they see your face. Kinda typical for Middle East and south Asia, isn't it?
Our history in the US isn't exactly stellar when it comes to handling disputes involving foreigners, especially in recent history if they are from the middle east...
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
08-06-2012, 01:09 PM
(08-06-2012 10:54 AM)kineo Wrote:  
(08-06-2012 03:38 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yeah, the locals are always right in these "traditional" countries. The courts don't even listen to you, because they "know" you are wrong as soon as they see your face. Kinda typical for Middle East and south Asia, isn't it?
Our history in the US isn't exactly stellar when it comes to handling disputes involving foreigners, especially in recent history if they are from the middle east...
Yeah, so God created different 'kinds' of humans and they shouldn't mix. Dodgy Lecture_preist

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post