Southern California Wildfires

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2017, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 02:10 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Southern California Wildfires
It's times like this that make me want to rethink what I'm doing with my life...

Ventura wildfire rages over 45,500 acres, destroys more than 150 structures, triggers evacuation of 27,000

[Image: 1050x591]

"Fast-moving, wind-fueled wildfire swept into the city of Ventura early Tuesday, burning 45,500 acres, destroying homes and forcing 27,000 people to evacuate.

At least 150 structures — including at least one large apartment complex and the Vista Del Mar Hospital, a psychiatric facility — were consumed by flames, and many more were threatened.

But the destruction appeared to be much worse as the sun rose Tuesday, revealing fire sweeping through whole neighborhoods in the hills above Ventura.

There was no containment on the fire as of 7 a.m., with 1,000 firefighters battling the blaze and more on the way, said Ventura County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Tim Lochman. One helicopter was dropping water and authorities were hoping winds would die down so they could deploy fixed-wing aircraft soon, he said."

"Affliction comes to us, not to
make us sad but sober; not to make
us sorry but wise." -H.G. Wells
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2017, 12:43 PM
RE: Wildfire in Ventura, CA
That's terrifying.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-12-2017, 01:15 PM
My heart goes out to all impacted. I hope the winds die down so they can contain everything soon.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-12-2017, 03:07 PM
That picture looks like the playground scene from Terminator 2.

Moms, you said it...terrifying.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
05-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Oh dear. Lets just call this what it is. Global Warming Wildfires.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-12-2017, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:41 PM by Kaneda.)
(05-12-2017 03:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Oh dear. Lets just call this what it is. Global Warming Wildfires.

You've just addressed on one of my biggest frustrations of this past year. Thank you.

05-12-2017, 03:52 PM
"California has been plagued by wildfires over the past few months, and overnight, flames reached deadly proportions in Ventura County. The ongoing disaster highlights the danger and science of wildfires, the conditions that help lead to them, and the increasing risks in a changing climate.

The Ventura County Fire Department describes the current blaze as fast-moving and difficult to contain—as many such wildfires are. In only a few hours, the blaze was able to cover 48 square miles, destroy 150 structures, and leave one dead. Ventura County sits just an hour's drive north from central Los Angeles. As the flames continue to grow, thousands are facing evacuations."

More in Sarah Gibbens, What You Need to Know About California's Wildfire

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017...ought-spd/

[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
05-12-2017, 04:08 PM
I haven't heard back from my son yet, who lives on the city's east end. I believe he's under an evac order.

Pretty sure he's at work right now. Hoping for the best, will update.
05-12-2017, 04:10 PM
(05-12-2017 03:52 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  "California has been plagued by wildfires over the past few months, and overnight, flames reached deadly proportions in Ventura County. The ongoing disaster highlights the danger and science of wildfires, the conditions that help lead to them, and the increasing risks in a changing climate.

The Ventura County Fire Department describes the current blaze as fast-moving and difficult to contain—as many such wildfires are. In only a few hours, the blaze was able to cover 48 square miles, destroy 150 structures, and leave one dead. Ventura County sits just an hour's drive north from central Los Angeles. As the flames continue to grow, thousands are facing evacuations."

More in Sarah Gibbens, What You Need to Know About California's Wildfire

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017...ought-spd/

Yep. It was a hell of a fire season in Oregon also. Some days the smoke was so thick that I could not breathe outside (I have asthma).

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Sadcryface What a sweet man.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.