Southern Pride

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Southern Pride
Why do southerns keep insisting the Confederate flag isn't a racist symbol?
My biggest problem is southerners seem to think I should go up and ask if someone is a dangerous racist because "We ain't all like that. It's just a little southern pride."

Um they'd NEVER tell a Jew to go check if the guy waving around a swastika is "really a neo-nazi". So why do they ask it of me?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: Southern Pride
It isn't a racist symbol to all southerners. Being from NY I thought it was myself until I moved to Texas and worked with a guy who had the Confederate flag painted on the doors of his truck (Damn redneck). One day I was doing some computer work at his house when his wood came home, she was black. The racist idea went right out the window.

Using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
30-01-2014, 07:42 PM
(30-01-2014 07:33 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  One day I was doing some computer work at his house when his wood came home, she was black.

Huh
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
30-01-2014, 07:43 PM
(30-01-2014 07:33 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  It isn't a racist symbol to all southerners. Being from NY I thought it was myself until I moved to Texas and worked with a guy who had the Confederate flag painted on the doors of his truck (Damn redneck). One day I was doing some computer work at his house when his wood came home, she was black. The racist idea went right out the window.

That woman is crazy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
30-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Re: RE: Southern Pride
(30-01-2014 07:33 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  It isn't a racist symbol to all southerners. Being from NY I thought it was myself until I moved to Texas and worked with a guy who had the Confederate flag painted on the doors of his truck (Damn redneck). One day I was doing some computer work at his house when his wife came home, she was black. The racist idea went right out the window.

Using Tapatalk
30-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Re: RE: Southern Pride
(30-01-2014 07:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 07:33 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  One day I was doing some computer work at his house when his wood came home, she was black.

Huh

I'm on a phone. Autocorrect Sucks...

EDIT: Funny, her name is Ebony.

Using Tapatalk
03-02-2014, 12:32 PM
It is a flag and like other symbols it can mean different things to different people. If you look into the history of the swastika is it a good example of that.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
03-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Easy to see where this is going.

The American Civil War was not solely about slavery or racism. There are also different, though similar, flags. Many that are displayed are the Confederate Battle Flag.

Jumping to conclusions seems to be okay when you do it, which is way too often.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-02-2014, 04:00 PM
(30-01-2014 07:33 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  It isn't a racist symbol to all southerners. Being from NY I thought it was myself until I moved to Texas and worked with a guy who had the Confederate flag painted on the doors of his truck (Damn redneck). One day I was doing some computer work at his house when his wife (yes, I did edit that) came home, she was black. The racist idea went right out the window.

This is called cognitive dissonance. I have some young men at work who display similar, conflicting outward appearances. That flag is nothing BUT a symbol of racism. Were I black and my daughter ever showed me a picture of her with some young man displaying that flag I would be greatly concerned for her safety.

A data point of one does not prove a thesis. Generation after generation of abuse against blacks under that symbol might.
[+] 1 user Likes Regular_Joe's post
03-02-2014, 04:03 PM
If we were talking about a Klan hood, I would agree. That is very specific. The Confederate flag is a symbol of different things to different people. For many it is about southern pride and heritage. Not every southerner is racist and it's a bigoted notion to think so.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post