Southern Pride

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 04:05 PM
RE: Southern Pride
Î grew up in the conservative catholic alps, it is not just an American thing.

But is seems that in each backwards and hopeless place, people are proud of being backwards and hopeless.

I just find it disgusting, but probably more because of personal expirience and not out of reasoning.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
03-02-2014, 04:55 PM
The confederate flag is a symbol of racism and ignorance. Anyone who displays it is either racist or ignorant. That is my opinion for all it's worth.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
(30-01-2014 07:26 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Why do southerns keep insisting the Confederate flag isn't a racist symbol?
My biggest problem is southerners seem to think I should go up and ask if someone is a dangerous racist because "We ain't all like that. It's just a little southern pride."

Um they'd NEVER tell a Jew to go check if the guy waving around a swastika is "really a neo-nazi". So why do they ask it of me?

A few things to understand about southeners.

1) It's 160 years past and they still can't get over the fact that they lost the Civl War.

2) To white southeners, the Confederate Jack (not the actual flag of the CSA) is seen as a symbol of their independent spirit for them to do things their way. They cannot understand the racial component of it and many display it without the slightest intention of prejudice (Example: The General Lee in the TV show The Dukes of Hazzard)

3) To black southeners, it is seen as a symbol or slavery, Post Civil War racial inequality and racial injustice. It forever reminds them of a time when they were considered second class citizens or property (chattle) of landowners and could be abused, attacked, brutalized, even killed with impunity from the courts.

In all fairness the Cofederacy is part of the legacy and heritage of the south despite the fact the flying the Confederate Jack or the flag of the CSA is, at least technically, treason against the United States. Still southerners, even black ones, take pride in themselves and appreciate their fierce streak of independence, even to the point of ignoring an ugly social past.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
(07-02-2014 12:07 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 07:26 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Why do southerns keep insisting the Confederate flag isn't a racist symbol?
My biggest problem is southerners seem to think I should go up and ask if someone is a dangerous racist because "We ain't all like that. It's just a little southern pride."

Um they'd NEVER tell a Jew to go check if the guy waving around a swastika is "really a neo-nazi". So why do they ask it of me?

A few things to understand about southeners.

1) It's 160 years past and they still can't get over the fact that they lost the Civl War.

2) To white southeners, the Confederate Jack (not the actual flag of the CSA) is seen as a symbol of their independent spirit for them to do things their way. They cannot understand the racial component of it and many display it without the slightest intention of prejudice (Example: The General Lee in the TV show The Dukes of Hazzard)

3) To black southeners, it is seen as a symbol or slavery, Post Civil War racial inequality and racial injustice. It forever reminds them of a time when they were considered second class citizens or property (chattle) of landowners and could be abused, attacked, brutalized, even killed with impunity from the courts.

In all fairness the Cofederacy is part of the legacy and heritage of the south despite the fact the flying the Confederate Jack or the flag of the CSA is, at least technically, treason against the United States. Still southerners, even black ones, take pride in themselves and appreciate their fierce streak of independence, even to the point of ignoring an ugly social past.

Really? All southerners are like that?
07-02-2014, 12:28 PM
We see this a lot around here and dont even really notice it. Quite a few will fly both the confederate and the stars and stripes together. See them on houses, driveways and on trucks, it just doesnt mean anything much to folks here.

Are some of these people racist ? sure, but certainly not all of them.
07-02-2014, 12:32 PM
I am a southerner and none of those three points apply to me or most of the people I know. There are some around that fit some or all of those but that are the minority.