Southern cooking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 06:18 PM
RE: Southern cooking
I came searching the Food forum for gumbo recipes. Where are the recipes guys?

We're from California and poor. I can't go to my backyard for shrimp *or* crawfish. Those are premium ingredients for us. We only use them when making gumbo for friends and family. When we make it at home, we just use chicken and sausage. We also don't do okra, but that's because nobody has shown us how to add it to gumbo without it just turning to slime.

We have learned the magic of the Holy Trinity though. We just haven't had it confirmed for us by reputable sources that this is a genuine Southern Thing.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 06:40 PM
(12-12-2013 06:18 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I came searching the Food forum for gumbo recipes. Where are the recipes guys?

We're from California and poor. I can't go to my backyard for shrimp *or* crawfish. Those are premium ingredients for us. We only use them when making gumbo for friends and family. When we make it at home, we just use chicken and sausage.

Chicken and sausage gumbo looks delicious. Drooling

(12-12-2013 06:18 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  We also don't do okra, but that's because nobody has shown us how to add it to gumbo without it just turning to slime.

Pan fry it first until the slime disappears, 10 minutes or so.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-12-2013, 10:02 PM
(12-12-2013 06:18 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I came searching the Food forum for gumbo recipes. Where are the recipes guys?

We're from California and poor. I can't go to my backyard for shrimp *or* crawfish. Those are premium ingredients for us. We only use them when making gumbo for friends and family. When we make it at home, we just use chicken and sausage. We also don't do okra, but that's because nobody has shown us how to add it to gumbo without it just turning to slime.

We have learned the magic of the Holy Trinity though. We just haven't had it confirmed for us by reputable sources that this is a genuine Southern Thing.
Do the okra frozen, add it a the very end
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
13-12-2013, 10:18 PM
I like Gumbo Ya Ya, with a dark roux, and my own preference is that it be not spicy-hot at all (YMMV). Here's an example recipe, I haven't tried it, but you can pretty much use it as a point of departure and add/subtract as you see fit: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeri...index.html. There are almost NO rules to Gumbo. Duck gumbo is to die for. Maybe this winter I'll get out goose-hunting and try it with a Canada or six... heh...

The roux is the tricky part. All it is, is flour heated in oil, we also use it for biscuits and gravy, but a LOT lighter. USE BACON DRIPPINGS, not vegetable oil as in that recipe (-- a -- A SACRILEGE, I tell you!). heat it S-L-O-W-L-Y over medium heat in an iron skillet, stirring CONSTANTLY. If you get black flecks in the roux, throw it out: you have ruined it from heating it too hot/too fast. It gets somewhat thinner as it gets darker, which is fine. I like it as dark as I can get it, and you can keep a bunch of it for future use once you make a batch.

Seriously, the more stuff you throw into it, the better. If you think something might work, try throwing it in.

This article seems pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumbo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
13-12-2013, 10:20 PM
(03-12-2013 03:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Okay... first.

CRAWDAD? No. Don't. Ever. Never say that.

It's not a CRAYfish either.

It's a CRAWfish. Like "crawl" without the "L".

Anyway, on topic... black-eyed peas are definitely optional... but shrimp or crawfish is a must. Turtle is optional.

The best gumbos have a mix of crawfish, shrimp, and whole crab legs/claws.

Um I beg to differ. They are MUDBUGS.....Nom nom nom.

Heh.Tongue

13-12-2013, 10:22 PM
(03-12-2013 03:27 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 03:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You confuse everyone. Damn crazy southern bastard Tongue

He probably just rides down the road picking up whatever roadkill he finds for his gumbo.Drinking Beverage

....um....isn't that how everbody does it.....? Consider

13-12-2013, 10:23 PM
(12-12-2013 06:18 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  We also don't do okra, but that's because nobody has shown us how to add it to gumbo without it just turning to slime.

Apparently you have not indulged in the joyous debauchery that is Snotty Okra. Cool

13-12-2013, 10:27 PM
(03-12-2013 03:27 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  He probably just rides down the road picking up whatever roadkill he finds for his gumbo.Drinking Beverage

...oh, and actually, here in CO you can make a phone call and get a tag to legally take home road kill. True Story, Honest Injun. Dead useful if you ain't squeamish and live along Hwy 74 where the deer and the antelope play (well, actually, deer and elk...).

Cool

15-12-2013, 10:02 AM
(13-12-2013 10:18 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I like Gumbo Ya Ya, with a dark roux, and my own preference is that it be not spicy-hot at all (YMMV). Here's an example recipe, I haven't tried it, but you can pretty much use it as a point of departure and add/subtract as you see fit: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeri...index.html. There are almost NO rules to Gumbo. Duck gumbo is to die for. Maybe this winter I'll get out goose-hunting and try it with a Canada or six... heh...

The roux is the tricky part. All it is, is flour heated in oil, we also use it for biscuits and gravy, but a LOT lighter. USE BACON DRIPPINGS, not vegetable oil as in that recipe (-- a -- A SACRILEGE, I tell you!). heat it S-L-O-W-L-Y over medium heat in an iron skillet, stirring CONSTANTLY. If you get black flecks in the roux, throw it out: you have ruined it from heating it too hot/too fast. It gets somewhat thinner as it gets darker, which is fine. I like it as dark as I can get it, and you can keep a bunch of it for future use once you make a batch.

Seriously, the more stuff you throw into it, the better. If you think something might work, try throwing it in.

Thanks for the replies guys. Also, I should have clarified: I've been making our po' folk chicken n sausage gumbo for many years. So I'm familiar with making a roux. Although, it's always good to hear from other folks about how they make theirs. Haven't tried bacon drippings as yet. That sounds heavenly. I'll make a rule to try it next time.

Also, Taq, great to hear we aren't the only ones who like ours dark. I try to get it close to dark chocolate color (not milk chocolate). When I add the veg it almost looks like tar until the liquids go in. Tasty! Very smokey flavor. I bet it's even better with bacon (why have I not tried that before).

Does everyone here thicken theirs in some way? Ours comes out sorta soupy and we've come to like it that way. Adding the rice thickens it up in a way, but I've tried other people's gumbos and they are usually as thick as a stew.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
15-12-2013, 10:25 AM
(15-12-2013 10:02 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 10:18 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I like Gumbo Ya Ya, with a dark roux, and my own preference is that it be not spicy-hot at all (YMMV). Here's an example recipe, I haven't tried it, but you can pretty much use it as a point of departure and add/subtract as you see fit: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeri...index.html. There are almost NO rules to Gumbo. Duck gumbo is to die for. Maybe this winter I'll get out goose-hunting and try it with a Canada or six... heh...

Thanks for the replies guys. Also, I should have clarified: I've been making our po' folk chicken n sausage gumbo for many years. So I'm familiar with making a roux. Although, it's always good to hear from other folks about how they make theirs. Haven't tried bacon drippings as yet. That sounds heavenly. I'll make a rule to try it next time.

Also, Taq, great to hear we aren't the only ones who like ours dark. I try to get it close to dark chocolate color (not milk chocolate). When I add the veg it almost looks like tar until the liquids go in. Tasty! Very smokey flavor. I bet it's even better with bacon (why have I not tried that before).

Does everyone here thicken theirs in some way? Ours comes out sorta soupy and we've come to like it that way. Adding the rice thickens it up in a way, but I've tried other people's gumbos and they are usually as thick as a stew.

Well that is what the Okra does the slime is a thickener. Or you can just use a slurry of flour/cornstarch (50-50 mix) and water. Just bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 mins to cook out the raw grain flavor.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense