#SouthernLivesMatter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2015, 02:01 PM
RE: #SouthernLivesMatter
(01-07-2015 01:21 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(01-07-2015 10:00 AM)Nurse Wrote:  It's the media blowing shit out of proportion and making a fuss. They're giving a minority opinion (racist bullshit) a voice because it makes a good story and gets people all riled up. Are there racist people? Yeh - but not as many as it's made out to be.

Even hinting at anything racist would get most professionals fired.

I don't consider the rebel flag my heritage. I don't have any friends that consider it their heritage - at least that I'm aware of. While its likely some of my friends are racist, they certainly wouldn't admit to it - it's seen very unfavorably outside of the trailer park. It's a white trash banner. I only see people wearing that shit at the Walmark and public pools. And I feel bad about saying that about people that live in trailer parks, because even that's a misguided stereotype - being poor doesn't mean you're racist anymore than being from Alabama. The odds are just slightly higher that's where you'd find that ignorant crap.

It's incredibly offensive and hurtful to people I care about - why the hell would I want to "celebrate" a symbol that is recognized by so many as oppression? I'm not alone in this viewpoint. Most people consider it inappropriate. Especially the younger generations.

Not one person on any side of my family tauts that shit - and I have some veeerrrryyyy country relatives. Considering I know my way around a farm and learned to hunt at 9, you could also consider me country. And it's not my goddamn heritage - farm life, picking cotton and living off the land - that's more of my heritage. Neighbors helping neighbors - that's my heritage - whether it's bringing casseroles to new parents or to widows, or taking about how my great grandparents ensured their neighbors didn't starve during the Great Depression. When tornados destroy towns, neighbors get out, strangers get out (and at the end of the day they're no longer strangers), and help get it all cleaned up while drinking fresh squeezed lemonade and sweet tea made by the ladies, and people bringing barbecue to the workers. That's my heritage.

If anything the flag should be seen as shameful - I just refuse to apologize for a wrongdoing that wasn't mine. I'm not ashamed of being from Alabama - nor should I be - it just happens to be the place where I popped out. It's really quite beautiful, the people are friendly, and most areas have a low cost of living. I wouldn't be able to live nearly as well being middle class somewhere like California or New York.

Whew. Ok. I'll step off my soapbox.

^^ What she said ^^

Also... please note this photo as evidence as to my southern street cred...
(Yes, that is a Dukes of Hazzard t-shirt with an inadvertent display of the rebel flag via the General Lee.)
[Image: 1936788_1216470890476_28777_n_zps2ytwu9d8.jpg]

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
01-07-2015, 02:04 PM
(01-07-2015 10:00 AM)Nurse Wrote:  It's the media blowing shit out of proportion and making a fuss. They're giving a minority opinion (racist bullshit) a voice because it makes a good story and gets people all riled up. Are there racist people? Yeh - but not as many as it's made out to be.

Even hinting at anything racist would get most professionals fired.

I don't consider the rebel flag my heritage. I don't have any friends that consider it their heritage - at least that I'm aware of. While its likely some of my friends are racist, they certainly wouldn't admit to it - it's seen very unfavorably outside of the trailer park. It's a white trash banner. I only see people wearing that shit at the Walmark and public pools. And I feel bad about saying that about people that live in trailer parks, because even that's a misguided stereotype - being poor doesn't mean you're racist anymore than being from Alabama. The odds are just slightly higher that's where you'd find that ignorant crap.

It's incredibly offensive and hurtful to people I care about - why the hell would I want to "celebrate" a symbol that is recognized by so many as oppression? I'm not alone in this viewpoint. Most people consider it inappropriate. Especially the younger generations.

Not one person on any side of my family tauts that shit - and I have some veeerrrryyyy country relatives. Considering I know my way around a farm and learned to hunt at 9, you could also consider me country. And it's not my goddamn heritage - farm life, picking cotton and living off the land - that's more of my heritage. Neighbors helping neighbors - that's my heritage - whether it's bringing casseroles to new parents or to widows, or taking about how my great grandparents ensured their neighbors didn't starve during the Great Depression. When tornados destroy towns, neighbors get out, strangers get out (and at the end of the day they're no longer strangers), and help get it all cleaned up while drinking fresh squeezed lemonade and sweet tea made by the ladies, and people bringing barbecue to the workers. That's my heritage.

If anything the flag should be seen as shameful - I just refuse to apologize for a wrongdoing that wasn't mine. I'm not ashamed of being from Alabama - nor should I be - it just happens to be the place where I popped out. It's really quite beautiful, the people are friendly, and most areas have a low cost of living. I wouldn't be able to live nearly as well being middle class somewhere like California or New York.

Whew. Ok. I'll step off my soapbox.

Quote:I don't consider the rebel flag my heritage. I don't have any friends that consider it their heritage

My husband and his family are from Columbia SC and the majority of them have no connection to the Confederate flag. As a matter of fact when I first flew back to meet his family many of them apologized to me when someone at a Myrtle Beach beach house was flying one. They were very embarrassed by it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-07-2015, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2015 02:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-07-2015 02:01 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Also... please note this photo as evidence as to my southern street cred...

Your nipples were bigger then.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post