SpaceX Does It Again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 08:24 PM
SpaceX Does It Again
A new breakthrough in their program to start reusing the first stage of their Falcon 9 heavy lift rocket. This time they put a big communications satellite, BulgariaSat-1 (Bulgaria's first such satellite) into parking orbit on the way to geosynchronous orbit for the satellite, and were able to land the first stage back on the landing platform drone ship... which on a side note is named the Of Course I Still Love You.

This was by far the highest heat upon re-entry and g-force faced by the SpaceX team in accomplishing this feat.

Elon Musk's tweet BEFORE the launch:
"Falcon 9 will experience its highest ever reentry force and heat in today's launch. Good chance rocket booster doesn't make it back."

Elon Musk's tweet AFTER the launch:
"Rocket is extra toasty and hit the deck hard (used almost all of the emergency crush core), but otherwise good."

Official statement from SpaceX:

"SpaceX is targeting launch of BulgariaSat-1 from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Liftoff is targeted for Friday, June 23, at 3:10 p.m. EDT, or 18:10 UTC, with a backup launch opportunity on Saturday, June 24, at 2:10 p.m. BulgariaSat-1 is the first geostationary communications satellite in Bulgaria’s history.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-06-2017, 08:41 PM
RE: SpaceX Does It Again
(23-06-2017 08:24 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  A new breakthrough in their program to start reusing the first stage of their Falcon 9 heavy lift rocket. This time they put a big communications satellite, BulgariaSat-1 (Bulgaria's first such satellite) into parking orbit on the way to geosynchronous orbit for the satellite, and were able to land the first stage back on the landing platform drone ship... which on a side note is named the Of Course I Still Love You.

This was by far the highest heat upon re-entry and g-force faced by the SpaceX team in accomplishing this feat.

Elon Musk's tweet BEFORE the launch:
"Falcon 9 will experience its highest ever reentry force and heat in today's launch. Good chance rocket booster doesn't make it back."

Elon Musk's tweet AFTER the launch:
"Rocket is extra toasty and hit the deck hard (used almost all of the emergency crush core), but otherwise good."

Official statement from SpaceX:

"SpaceX is targeting launch of BulgariaSat-1 from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Liftoff is targeted for Friday, June 23, at 3:10 p.m. EDT, or 18:10 UTC, with a backup launch opportunity on Saturday, June 24, at 2:10 p.m. BulgariaSat-1 is the first geostationary communications satellite in Bulgaria’s history.

Some people I used to work with at another contractor went to work for Space-X. It's a great place to work, I hear. They're doing some crazy shit with their boosters and Dragon capsule, and I applaud them for it.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
23-06-2017, 10:02 PM
Elon Musk is Batman.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-06-2017, 10:19 PM
(23-06-2017 10:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Elon Musk is Batman.

Sweet holy fuck, I hope he's not kung-fu'ing poor criminals to paralysis and death by night. Shocking

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
24-06-2017, 01:35 AM
(23-06-2017 10:19 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 10:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Elon Musk is Batman.

Sweet holy fuck, I hope he's not kung-fu'ing poor criminals to paralysis and death by night. Shocking

Still less violent than the LAPD.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
24-06-2017, 01:38 AM
(24-06-2017 01:35 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 10:19 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Sweet holy fuck, I hope he's not kung-fu'ing poor criminals to paralysis and death by night. Shocking

Still less violent than the LAPD.

Yeah, they don't limit their actives to just nighttime, do they? Consider

Wait, are we counting the Zack Snyder take on Batman? Cause he murders the shit out of people.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post