Spaceship "TTA"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2011, 01:36 PM

RE: Spaceship "TTA"
(07-10-2011 12:45 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  If we don't start balancing these issues soon, we will in the long run end up with exactly what we had before. One way or another.

I have always been a Star Trek fan. One of my favorite episodes in the “Next Generation” is when they find a drifting spaceship with a few ‘frozen’ humans in suspended animation, from the 21st Century. When they are revived, one of them immediately wants to contact Earth to check on his investments. Captain Picard tells him that money does not exist any more. The man asks: “then what is the challenge?” Picard says: "to develop our potentials".

That has always been my long term goal in my life and would like it to be on the new planet.

The other lesson we can learn from Star Trek: is the “Prime Directive” – except extended to all living things on the planet: do not interfere with it more than absolutely necessary.

As far as some of your other questions are concerned, defacto, here are some of my answers/suggestions:

- I do not want to go back to Earth (I am so happy I have it behind me, finally!)
- I know I only speak for myself, but I don’t want anything beyond basic healthy comfort (see my list in the “Needs vs. Wants” thread).
- Once this comfort is achieved for everybody, I suggest we live and let live, as long as the “Prime Directive” is observed.
- As far as ‘believers’ are concerned, I don’t have any problem with them as long as: 1. They don’t try to convert anyone; 2. They contribute to shared work and chores.
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2011, 10:35 AM
I do not think i could contribute much until I got older, I am only 14...

I am going to hell because i dare to question bronze-age goat herders, and think for myself.
~Me~

I am not smarter than religious people because I have a better understanding of science than them. I am smarter because I know I am not going to live forever, and I am happy with that.
~Me~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm kind of a generalist, I can do as good as anything from feeding babies, changing diapers, karaoke, repairing complex machinery and shelter to cooking. however... I am not REALLY good at something specific.

Where do I fit in?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-10-2011, 01:01 PM
(08-10-2011 12:39 PM)The_observer Wrote:  I'm kind of a generalist, I can do as good as anything from feeding babies, changing diapers, karaoke, repairing complex machinery and shelter to cooking. however... I am not REALLY good at something specific.

Where do I fit in?

Observer - Everywhere!

I'd be glad to work along side you in the engineering department but we really need some karaoke in the entertainment group!

Hey...Teifel999 - We really need guys like you for just about anything too. Be creative! I'm sure as groups are forming, you will get into some kind of purposeful position. Check out the departments in the previous posts. What would you like to do?

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
08-10-2011, 06:57 PM
In fact, i'm quite leery of specializing too much. Not so many people that we can afford to do only one kind of thing. Besides, all skilled workers need assistants to fetch, find, hand up and hold the other end, and apprentices to pass their skills on to.
Plus, new skills will have to be invented almost daily, as new challenges come along.

I'm still not happy about killing and exploiting animals.
Any chance of going vegan?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM

(08-10-2011 06:57 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  I'm still not happy about killing and exploiting animals.
Any chance of going vegan?

Neither am I.

I have been a vegetarian for the last 25 years.

We could write it into the script that we have an advanced biochemical lab still intact in the space ship, that can actually provide us with synthetic protein, in any flavor we crave (stake, milk, etc.).

The machine will need a power source and some repair.

That will make our engineers happy and our hunters disappointed. Maybe we don't have a choice because all local animal metabolism produces some toxin for human consumption.

I don't have much hope for a consensus here, but you never know.
09-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Unfortunately, you won't reach a consensus with me. I will be hunting and consuming meat.

Besides, wouldn't a vegetarian society be making decisions for people instead of them making their own? Sorry, but when you start telling a person what they can eat, you will start to see rebelion and dissent.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
09-10-2011, 09:20 AM

(09-10-2011 08:58 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Unfortunately, you won't reach a consensus with me. I will be hunting and consuming meat.

I did not expect to. Besides, there are 2 issues here: eating meat and hunting. The 2 are not necessarily related. Some people hunt for fun, some other -- for food.

If science and technology could synthesize steak (from basic chemicals), without killing animals, then there is only the 'fun' part left.

Quote:Besides, wouldn't a vegetarian society be making decisions for people instead of them making their own? Sorry, but when you start telling a person what they can eat, you will start to see rebellion and dissent.

I did NOT tell people what they can or can not -- this is a consensus-building exercise. As Peterkin said earlier: a stable society is one where there is an agreement about the rules and everybody sticks to the agreement.

When we (my wife and I) became vegetarians, our children continued to eat meat and we provided it for them. I had been a carnivore for a very long time before that, I do not consider eating meat as evil, for us it was mostly an aesthetic decision.

This thread was supposed to be a free-for-all discussion, generating ideas, discussing options, finding common ground. NOBODY is telling anybody anything beyond that.

I hope this answers your concern.

Smile
09-10-2011, 09:49 AM
(09-10-2011 09:20 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  I did not expect to. Besides, there are 2 issues here: eating meat and hunting. The 2 are not necessarily related. Some people hunt for fun, some other -- for food.

I don't care what people eat as long as we don't do damage to the Eco-structure. Personally, I would prefer to fish.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
09-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Don't worry Zat, I think you misread my tone. I was more "playing a role" of a guy who insists that he be able to eat meat and hunt to add to the "how do we deal with stuff" aspect of the experiment.

I think the whole synthesizing part is too easy of a way out of dilemmas. Personally I think the experiment would be more interesting if we had very little technology to salvage from the ship. That way we are forced to balance our surival against preserving our new home.

New twist:

On my travels, I have discovered a tree that bears large, sweet fruit. So far I have only found the one tree, but it holds enough fruit for all of us to eat some without stripping the tree. Unfortunately, I have a mildly upset stomach after eating the fruit. Nothing severe, but I am questioning whether the fruit may be poisonous to us even though I observed some of the native wildlife eating it. Perhaps the makeup of the vegetation on this planet is not actually poison to us, but we will have issues digesting it. Will we be able to adapt? How? Could it be just this fruit, or all the food we find due to our alien digestive systems?

I have also discovered a large, flightless bird that is slow and fairly easy to hunt. I have seen reletavely few of them and fear hunting them may easily impact the population. What are other peoples thoughts on harvesting a small number of these birds to meet our immediate needs. (Keep in mind there may be many more in a different ecosystem, they may be a good option if we choose to raise them as livestock, and we do need to start addressing the need to harvest food entirely from this planet since our reserves won't last forever) Risk of doing damage to the ecosystem vs our own survival is going to become a very real issue soon. We WILL affect the ecosystem. That is inevitable.

So many cats, so few good recipes.