"Spacetime has No Time Demention"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2011, 11:20 PM
"Spacetime has No Time Demention"
Spacetime has No Time Demention

I found this interesting. Ever since I've learned about time in relation to mass, I've imagined time theory like this article explains. Looks like the earth could be both billions and thousands of years old (shhh, don't tell any you-know-who's! Wink )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
29-04-2011, 12:23 AM
RE: "Spacetime has No Time Demention"
A good post on one of my favourite topics.
Timeperception

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Ok, I have to say I hardly understand what they're on about, and I don't pretend to. May I ask, what is the supposed fourth dimension of space if the universe is timeless? And if the universe is timesless, then how come we perceive time?

Aside from that, I find it really sad that we don't see stories like that on the news or other various media. We just hear "the ab circle pro is now twice as good" or "we can now calculate the perfect weekend mathematically".

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
30-04-2011, 11:55 PM
I have never seen time as a dimension in the sense of the other three dimensions. Length, height and depth are measurable in physical space. Time is measured in relation to things happening. This does not mean that the universe can be billions of years old and thousands of years old at the same time. It has to be one or the other. Time exists because things don't all happen at once, so there is a series of instances that are measurable.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
01-05-2011, 02:19 AM
(30-04-2011 11:55 PM)No J. Wrote:  I have never seen time as a dimension in the sense of the other three dimensions. Length, height and depth are measurable in physical space. Time is measured in relation to things happening. This does not mean that the universe can be billions of years old and thousands of years old at the same time. It has to be one or the other. Time exists because things don't all happen at once, so there is a series of instances that are measurable.
how can you be sure of that. We don't have anything to compare it to

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
01-05-2011, 02:47 AM
It would seem that if the universe is timeless, you cannot make an assessment of how old it is - an application of time.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

01-05-2011, 03:08 AM
(01-05-2011 02:47 AM)daemonowner Wrote:  It would seem that if the universe is timeless, you cannot make an assessment of how old it is - an application of time.
Hmm...
No time, no half-life, no half life, no carbon-dating.
Is that what you mean?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
01-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I think i'm starting to understand the article a bit. They don't say time in general doesn't exist, they just mean that time according to today's definition, and as the 4th dimension doesn't exist in the universe. They want to define time as a measure of the numerical order of change (as repeated many times in the article).

The interesting part comes where this would actually solve the paradox of the race between Achilles and the tortoise. Which would mean that the origin of this paradox isn't a linguistic problem, but the concept of time itself!

So thanks for sharing, even though i haven't read it all (yet), it was very interesting!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2011, 01:40 PM
(01-05-2011 02:19 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(30-04-2011 11:55 PM)No J. Wrote:  I have never seen time as a dimension in the sense of the other three dimensions. Length, height and depth are measurable in physical space. Time is measured in relation to things happening. This does not mean that the universe can be billions of years old and thousands of years old at the same time. It has to be one or the other. Time exists because things don't all happen at once, so there is a series of instances that are measurable.
how can you be sure of that. We don't have anything to compare it to

I can't be sure of that. But how can anyone be sure that time IS a dimension? Exactly what time is is still in debate in the science community, as I last read, so if the scientists still aren't clear, then nobody is.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
02-05-2011, 01:03 AM
(01-05-2011 03:08 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(01-05-2011 02:47 AM)daemonowner Wrote:  It would seem that if the universe is timeless, you cannot make an assessment of how old it is - an application of time.
Hmm...
No time, no half-life, no half life, no carbon-dating.
Is that what you mean?

Essentially, yes. It seems to me that you can't apply time to a timeless universe. I have a feeling I'm wrong, so please correct me if I am misunderstanding something.