Spain: Controversy arround proposed anti abortion bill

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Spain: Controversy arround proposed anti abortion bill

Hardly a country in Europe has such strong contrasts in politics - meaning the combination of one of the most conservative conservative parties in Europe and one of the most leftist political left in Europe.

So this will be interesting to watch as it developes.

Similar to that, Ireland use to have the most strickt antiabortion laws, but changed that after the controversial death of a pregnant woman and the declining power of the catholic clergy in politics after the extent of the catholic child rape scandal was revealed.

Some Americans here might not know this, but Europe has a kind of divide similar to your South/North divide, with catholic and eastern orthodox countries in the South and East of the continent (with the exception of Ireland) being more conservative than protestant countries in the North.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2014, 02:25 PM
RE: Spain: Controversy arround proposed anti abortion bill
I wish I could watch the video right now, but I can't find my earbuds...Weeping

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

31-01-2014, 02:28 PM
(31-01-2014 02:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wish I could watch the video right now, but I can't find my earbuds...Weeping

Spain`s conservative government is proposing a bill which will restrict abortions to only be available for rape victims and women whos lives are in danger.

Which is causing quite a stirr in the country on both sides of the debate. And widespread protests are expected.

It also points out that Spain is a secular country, but the catholic clergy has alot of influence i politics, especialy in the conservative party.

[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
31-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Dodgy

Bloody politicians. Got nothing better to do, no massive pressing worldwide problems to fix ? We'll just ignore all those and concentrate on being dickheads.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-01-2014, 02:33 PM
(31-01-2014 02:28 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 02:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wish I could watch the video right now, but I can't find my earbuds...Weeping

Spain`s conservative government is proposing a bill which will restrict abortions to only be available for rape victims and women whos lives are in danger.

Which is causing quite a stirr in the country on both sides of the debate. And widespread protests are expected.

It also points out that Spain is a secular country, but the catholic clergy has alot of influence i politics, especialy in the conservative party.

Thank you! Oh wow -- you're right, it should be interesting.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

31-01-2014, 02:38 PM
(31-01-2014 02:28 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Spain`s conservative government is proposing a bill which will restrict abortions to only be available for rape victims and women whos lives are in danger.

Regardless of what side of the fence you're on, I struggle with the idea that anyone would be happy with a law that says just for rape victims or women whose lives are in danger.

Either abortion is murder, in which case it wouldn't be okay in any circumstances or it's the woman's choice, so why restrict it?
31-01-2014, 03:36 PM
I hope that the proposed bill does not go through. It would be a step backwards. As was pointed out, here in Ireland we have very strict laws regarding abortion. Even now it's a grey area. When to intervene to save a mothers life and perform an abortion is very unclear. In principle, if the surgeon intervenes too early and it is found that the abortion could have been avoided, he could be charged with an unlawful killing. If the surgeon happens to be a devout catholic he can refuse to intervene on religious grounds. On average 12 women a day travel from Ireland to England for an abortion.

I would not wish such a scenario on the Spanish people and I don't think the bill will pass. But one should never underestimate the pro-life movement. They are well funded by catholic organisations.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
31-01-2014, 03:41 PM
(31-01-2014 03:36 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I hope that the proposed bill does not go through. It would be a step backwards. As was pointed out, here in Ireland we have very strict laws regarding abortion. Even now it's a grey area. When to intervene to save a mothers life and perform an abortion is very unclear. In principle, if the surgeon intervenes too early and it is found that the abortion could have been avoided, he could be charged with an unlawful killing. If the surgeon happens to be a devout catholic he can refuse to intervene on religious grounds. On average 12 women a day travel from Ireland to England for an abortion.

I would not wish such a scenario on the Spanish people and I don't think the bill will pass. But one should never underestimate the pro-life movement. They are well funded by catholic organisations.

One should also not underestimate the political left in Spain. Due to Spains history with fascism and the cooperation between the Franco regime and the clergy, the left completly distrusts the catholic clergy in Spain and the catholic church has absolutly no power over them and cant even dare making a judgement over the left since they were actively involved in crimes against humanity during the Franco regime.

[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
31-01-2014, 03:53 PM
TGAC posted :

One should also not underestimate the political left in Spain. Due to Spains history with fascism and the cooperation between the Franco regime and the clergy, the left completly distrusts the catholic clergy in Spain and the catholic church has absolutly no power over them and cant even dare making a judgement over the left since they were actively involved in crimes against humanity during the Franco regime.
[/quote]

True. I'm sure the catholic church will relish this chance to come into conflict with the political left, an interesting situation and one worth following.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí