Spam Email - What is the purpose if there aren't any links or attachments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Spam Email - What is the purpose if there aren't any links or attachments?
I've been trying to mess with spammers recently (because I'm bored). I look for the ones where they send personal messages and they aren't trying to sell anything. Sometimes it'll be the ones where I won the lottery in Madagascar, or their great aunt died, left them a fortune, and they've chosen me to receive the money but I would need to send them a clearance charge of $200 to get my fortune.

So I get one today with the subject of "Why haven't you answered my texts ?" from some lady named Laura (probably some guy in India). The body of the email was simply, "Hey ! if you don't want to talk to me, just say it. - Sent from my iPhone"

But when I responded, I got an automatic Mail Delivery Subsystem message saying that email address doesn't exist.

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of sending the email in the first place. There wasn't any attachment, no links, no solicitations. Nothing. The only thing I can think is that they have some way to tell whether it has been opened, but I don't think Gmail has anything like that from the recipient side. Seems like a monumental waste of time with no possibility of any gains from the sender. Even if it's a computer program sending this same message hundreds of thousands at a time, what possible reason would they have to send it in the first place?

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2017, 08:31 AM
RE: Spam Email - What is the purpose if there aren't any links or attachments?
They bulk mail it hoping to get lonely old folks on the hook.
They work them for money to come to the states.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
30-08-2017, 08:31 AM
(30-08-2017 08:21 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  I've been trying to mess with spammers recently (because I'm bored). I look for the ones where they send personal messages and they aren't trying to sell anything. Sometimes it'll be the ones where I won the lottery in Madagascar, or their great aunt died, left them a fortune, and they've chosen me to receive the money but I would need to send them a clearance charge of $200 to get my fortune.

So I get one today with the subject of "Why haven't you answered my texts ?" from some lady named Laura (probably some guy in India). The body of the email was simply, "Hey ! if you don't want to talk to me, just say it. - Sent from my iPhone"

But when I responded, I got an automatic Mail Delivery Subsystem message saying that email address doesn't exist.

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of sending the email in the first place. There wasn't any attachment, no links, no solicitations. Nothing. The only thing I can think is that they have some way to tell whether it has been opened, but I don't think Gmail has anything like that from the recipient side. Seems like a monumental waste of time with no possibility of any gains from the sender. Even if it's a computer program sending this same message hundreds of thousands at a time, what possible reason would they have to send it in the first place?

Have you checked the code to see if there is anything hidden in it?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-08-2017, 08:40 AM
(30-08-2017 08:31 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  They bulk mail it hoping to get lonely old folks on the hook.

I might have thought that too, but when you reply, you get a message saying the address doesn't exist and it didn't have any other contact info at all.

30-08-2017, 08:40 AM
(30-08-2017 08:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  Have you checked the code to see if there is anything hidden in it?

I'm not tech savvy enough to do that.

30-08-2017, 08:42 AM
(30-08-2017 08:21 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  But when I responded, I got an automatic Mail Delivery Subsystem message saying that email address doesn't exist...

And you wonder why you get so much spam? Big Grin

Someone, somewhere, has just received confirmation that your own email address is "live", and it's probably been onsold to a dozen other spammer's listings.

Expect more.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
30-08-2017, 08:45 AM
The null posts are testing email addresses. They weed the ones that don't work, it makes their mailing lists more valuable.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
30-08-2017, 08:50 AM
(30-08-2017 08:42 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(30-08-2017 08:21 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  But when I responded, I got an automatic Mail Delivery Subsystem message saying that email address doesn't exist...

And you wonder why you get so much spam? Big Grin

Someone, somewhere, has just received confirmation that your own email address is "live", and it's probably been onsold to a dozen other spammer's listings.

Expect more.

Yes, this. There are ways to tell if a sent message has been opened, and that confirms that it is an active account. Then they compile lists of active accounts to sell, because spammers will actually pay a lot of money for lists of confirmed open/active accounts. It's always best to leave spam unopened, both to avoid more spam, but also not give your anti-virus and anti-malware an excess amount of work to do - because sometimes an embedded trojan horse will get through your filters.
30-08-2017, 08:53 AM
(30-08-2017 08:42 AM)SYZ Wrote:  And you wonder why you get so much spam? Big Grin

Expect more.

I already get a ton, and that was my other thought...they're just checking to see if it's active and will sell my address to thousands of other spammers. But I use gmail, and it's really good about separating and flagging them. So no worries on that front.

30-08-2017, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2017 09:55 AM by BikerDude.)
(30-08-2017 08:40 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(30-08-2017 08:31 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  They bulk mail it hoping to get lonely old folks on the hook.

I might have thought that too, but when you reply, you get a message saying the address doesn't exist and it didn't have any other contact info at all.

Because they got flagged for sending spam email and the email address got shut down.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]