Spanking Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2014, 10:26 PM
Spanking Children
I would like a somewhat serious topic now. So, let's make this into a two part discussion. First off, the question I must ask, and you do not have to answer this if you do not wish too, have you ever been spanked by your parents, teachers, neighbors before?

After that, the main topic will be your view on the act of spanking your child itself. Is it ethically correct or healthy for the child's psychological development into an adolescent and then into an adult to spank them when they have done something wrong? How do you feel about all of this? Do you, or have you spanked your child before? If so, what was your reasons for doing so and was it effective in changing their behavior?

I was spanked quite a lot when I was a child. I still have nightmares about it and my raging rampaging drunken mother! I am terrified of her because of it. My neighbors spanked me once with a wooden paddle. He kept a large, what I remember of it, at least an inch and a half to two inches thick hard wood paddle next to his chair for spanking his kids and once or twice myself. I still feel the fear of being struck by someone. It it was not by a paddle by my neighbor, it was a large wooden spoon by my mother as stated above. I remember one day she rampaged into my room for what I do not even remember and slammed the spoon on my desk and broke it. It made her even madder and she stormed off to find another one to beat me with and become even more furious when she could not find it. I think I might had been about 5 at that time.

I do not agree with spanking period. I consider it to be child abuse. I consider many of the things deep hidden in my psyche that inhabit me from taking certain actions as a result of the abuse I suffered as a child. Mind you, I was never really beaten like some kids are, never really on a daily basis as I had more good times than bad. However, I can say without a doubt that what I do remember, I never deserved, and it was far too harsh of a punishment for doing what I did.

Parents should not have the right to do that to their kids.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2014, 10:30 PM
RE: Spanking Children
No. Never. Parents who do it should be hit on their ass with something of equal amount of force, like a plank or a bat, see how good it fucking feels.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
25-12-2014, 10:39 PM
(25-12-2014 10:26 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I would like a somewhat serious topic now. So, let's make this into a two part discussion. First off, the question I must ask, and you do not have to answer this if you do not wish too, have you ever been spanked by your parents, teachers, neighbors before?

After that, the main topic will be your view on the act of spanking your child itself. Is it ethically correct or healthy for the child's psychological development into an adolescent and then into an adult to spank them when they have done something wrong? How do you feel about all of this? Do you, or have you spanked your child before? If so, what was your reasons for doing so and was it effective in changing their behavior?

I was spanked quite a lot when I was a child. I still have nightmares about it and my raging rampaging drunken mother! I am terrified of her because of it. My neighbors spanked me once with a wooden paddle. He kept a large, what I remember of it, at least an inch and a half to two inches thick hard wood paddle next to his chair for spanking his kids and once or twice myself. I still feel the fear of being struck by someone. It it was not by a paddle by my neighbor, it was a large wooden spoon by my mother as stated above. I remember one day she rampaged into my room for what I do not even remember and slammed the spoon on my desk and broke it. It made her even madder and she stormed off to find another one to beat me with and become even more furious when she could not find it. I think I might had been about 5 at that time.

I do not agree with spanking period. I consider it to be child abuse. I consider many of the things deep hidden in my psyche that inhabit me from taking certain actions as a result of the abuse I suffered as a child. Mind you, I was never really beaten like some kids are, never really on a daily basis as I had more good times than bad. However, I can say without a doubt that what I do remember, I never deserved, and it was far too harsh of a punishment for doing what I did.

Parents should not have the right to do that to their kids.

I can see that sometimes harsh punishments do need to meted out, but I don't really agree with spanking a kid...

It might have to do with my own upbringing; we misbehaved too badly and we got a whack on the arse; be it with a belt, wooden spoon or a hand. One time I was kicked in the lower back... Not my parent's doing.

The way I figure, is that by hitting a kid, you aren't actually correcting the behaviour, which ought to be the focus of the punishment. Instead, all you are doing is instilling a fear of the act which invoked the punishment. The best you are doing is causing the child to suppress the behaviour.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Love this topic.

Let's see if I can actually get reported to CPS this time.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-12-2014, 12:12 AM
(26-12-2014 12:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Love this topic.

Let's see if I can actually get reported to CPS this time.

In Louisiana I'm surprised you haven't already been reported to CPS for teaching evolution and dinosaurs to your spawn.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-12-2014, 01:11 AM
I don't agree with spanking either; if anything a sharp swat would be last resort for anything.
26-12-2014, 01:18 AM
I was never spanked, I was actually talking about it one day driving with my dad when the Adrian Peterson story was fresh and new. He may of done so to one of my older sisters when they were really little without anything but his hand, but pretty sure that didn't last. I'm not a fan of it in these contexts of serious punishment at any point.

I just hope this thread doesn't cause our resident anti-child abuse champion to show up, who will basically blame all issues a person has to purely be based on being abused as a child.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-12-2014, 01:45 AM
(26-12-2014 01:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I was never spanked, I was actually talking about it one day driving with my dad when the Adrian Peterson story was fresh and new. He may of done so to one of my older sisters when they were really little without anything but his hand, but pretty sure that didn't last. I'm not a fan of it in these contexts of serious punishment at any point.

I just hope this thread doesn't cause our resident anti-child abuse champion to show up, who will basically blame all issues a person has to purely be based on being abused as a child.

It's true tho.

Commit a murder? You were spanked as a child!
Invade a country? Spanked!
Think government is a valid structure in today's world? SPANKED!

Smartass
26-12-2014, 02:52 AM
I was spanked as a child but do not spank my own. It is physical cruelty and child abuse, end of.

For its effects, I suggest any trauma experienced by a child will have consequences but these will be individual. But issues with self esteem would seem a prime candidate, which would stop any self-righteous child spanker in his/her tracks (assuming they actually love their child).

But it is more complex than this. The issue is the effect of violence on a child and we all should know that violence need not be physical. Psychological violence can be just as devastating.

Personally I have always approached disciplining my son as cool and calm as a judge. I explain why he has done is wrong, talk to him about the consequences for him and others, and then withdraw some privileges. I've gotta say that he is turning out very conscientious and while he has had a few sanctions at school, he has a good rep there and at home.

Hardly a full statistical study, I know, but definitely observed results.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
26-12-2014, 03:17 AM
(26-12-2014 02:52 AM)gofish! Wrote:  I was spanked as a child but do not spank my own. It is physical cruelty and child abuse, end of.

For its effects, I suggest any trauma experienced by a child will have consequences but these will be individual. But issues with self esteem would seem a prime candidate, which would stop any self-righteous child spanker in his/her tracks (assuming they actually love their child).

But it is more complex than this. The issue is the effect of violence on a child and we all should know that violence need not be physical. Psychological violence can be just as devastating.

Personally I have always approached disciplining my son as cool and calm as a judge. I explain why he has done is wrong, talk to him about the consequences for him and others, and then withdraw some privileges. I've gotta say that he is turning out very conscientious and while he has had a few sanctions at school, he has a good rep there and at home.

Hardly a full statistical study, I know, but definitely observed results.

If you want a study, this one claimed to have found an association between spanking at age 5 with increased likelihood of children exhibiting 'externalising behaviours' and 'lower child receptive vocabulary scores' at age 9.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.