Spare change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2016, 12:31 PM
RE: Spare change
(21-01-2016 12:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I used to give money to people who were panhandling but now I donate things to a domestic abuse shelter instead. I know many women and kids have to leave with nothing more than the clothes on their backs. They take clothing, toys, small appliances, household goods, books, etc.

There is an intersection that I go through fairly often that almost always has people asking for money. I feel bad to drive past them but I can't help everyone...so I selected a place to donate fairly regularly.

Oh yes yes yes, when my grandmother passed away, she had a few peices of furniture, I donated it all to battered woman's shelter.

All our old, but decent cookware and things like that go to them as well. About once a year I go through the closets and donate clothes and other stuff.

The horrible worn out stuff tho, now goes to goodwill who recycles crappy clothes that they can't sell.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-01-2016, 12:36 PM
(21-01-2016 12:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 12:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I used to give money to people who were panhandling but now I donate things to a domestic abuse shelter instead. I know many women and kids have to leave with nothing more than the clothes on their backs. They take clothing, toys, small appliances, household goods, books, etc.

There is an intersection that I go through fairly often that almost always has people asking for money. I feel bad to drive past them but I can't help everyone...so I selected a place to donate fairly regularly.

Oh yes yes yes, when my grandmother passed away, she had a few peices of furniture, I donated it all to battered woman's shelter.

All our old, but decent cookware and things like that go to them as well. About once a year I go through the closets and donate clothes and other stuff.

The horrible worn out stuff tho, now goes to goodwill who recycles crappy clothes that they can't sell.

After my surgeries I had no use for the bras I had...and they were good quality, pretty bras. I washed them all and took them to the shelter drop off. I figured that if cancer was going to rob me of being able to wear them someone would appreciate them. A lot of my clothes didn't fit me after that either, so many casual and work outfits were donated as well.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
21-01-2016, 02:33 PM
You did good dom!

Its pretty impossible to starve to death in the city here. You can get free 3 day food parcels, there are soup kitchens and free blankets and sleeping bags. The only problem is there are not many hostel beds. Not many are refused though as they use the corridors of the few hostels we have, at least its warm and dry.

When I get asked I always ask what its for. If its food or a hot drink I offer to buy it but if they refuse I just ask them if its for drugs or beer. I'm not bothered if it is, ill still give them the money.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
21-01-2016, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2016 04:54 PM by Dom.)
Well, the little town he was in has no services. It has no homeless. They are all in the next bigger city.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-01-2016, 03:51 PM
(21-01-2016 03:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, the little town he was in has no services. It has no homeless. They are all in the next bigger city.

Have you tried asking the town for a food bank. Sometimes in very small communities (like where I lived previously) the town will allot some money for a food bank if a business or church will serve the physical needs (storage and handing out).

The little place I came from before here was that way. The S. Baptists church had the room (biggest church in town) and any volunteers were welcome. They had fund raisers, food drive boxes in all the food shops and they did a Wed sack hand-out as well as a sack delivery to shut-ins (all they had to do was call and sign-up). They've had this for about 15yrs.

The local grocery store would give a 15% discount on any food bought for donation to their food bank box. Which helps to encourage giving.

Maybe you could start something like that.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
21-01-2016, 03:59 PM
(21-01-2016 12:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 12:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh yes yes yes, when my grandmother passed away, she had a few peices of furniture, I donated it all to battered woman's shelter.

After my surgeries I had no use for the bras I had...and they were good quality, pretty bras. I washed them all and took them to the shelter drop off. I figured that if cancer was going to rob me of being able to wear them someone would appreciate them. A lot of my clothes didn't fit me after that either, so many casual and work outfits were donated as well.

Hug

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Maybe 20 years ago I was at the laundromat washing clothes and ran out of detergent, so I walked 3 blocks down to the store to buy some. A guy sitting out front said "I'm trying to get a beer." I made a smart ass remark such as "They sell it inside." Or such and went inside. But when I passed the cooler I opened it and bought a beer for the guy. I handed it to im when i walked out and back to the laundry. A few minutes later a police car sped that direction and then another. I saw crime scene tape going up and walked that direction. I asked people what happened. Apparently my drunk friend walked out in front of a car with his new beer and got hit and killed!
21-01-2016, 05:12 PM
(21-01-2016 03:51 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 03:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, the little town he was in has no services. It has no homeless. They are all in the next bigger city.

Have you tried asking the town for a food bank. Sometimes in very small communities (like where I lived previously) the town will allot some money for a food bank if a business or church will serve the physical needs (storage and handing out).

The little place I came from before here was that way. The S. Baptists church had the room (biggest church in town) and any volunteers were welcome. They had fund raisers, food drive boxes in all the food shops and they did a Wed sack hand-out as well as a sack delivery to shut-ins (all they had to do was call and sign-up). They've had this for about 15yrs.

The local grocery store would give a 15% discount on any food bought for donation to their food bank box. Which helps to encourage giving.

Well, our hardware store has a box outside where people leave extra produce (during growing season) and anyone can take what they want. The old folks second hand store has the same. There are also churches that deliver food to the elderly and needy. The grocery store periodically fills shopping bags with stuff (I suppose that's going to expire soon) and you buy a bag for 10 bucks and they see that it gets delivered to needy families.

But there is no shelter, you have to get to the next town in winter anyway. It's not a place for homeless to winter.

I give when I see a need, I donate produce from my garden also and I give to the animal shelter, where I can see exactly where things end up. But I am not looking to donate my time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-01-2016, 05:25 PM
(21-01-2016 05:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 03:51 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Have you tried asking the town for a food bank. Sometimes in very small communities (like where I lived previously) the town will allot some money for a food bank if a business or church will serve the physical needs (storage and handing out).

Well, our hardware store has a box outside where people leave extra produce (during growing season) and anyone can take what they want. The old folks second hand store has the same. There are also churches that deliver food to the elderly and needy. The grocery store periodically fills shopping bags with stuff (I suppose that's going to expire soon) and you buy a bag for 10 bucks and they see that it gets delivered to needy families.

But there is no shelter, you have to get to the next town in winter anyway. It's not a place for homeless to winter.

I give when I see a need, I donate produce from my garden also and I give to the animal shelter, where I can see exactly where things end up. But I am not looking to donate my time.

It's good of you that you do. I think I would like to do your gift bags. Maybe bags of staples and canned goods. Smile

One thing I've noticed is that heathens donate a lot of time, food, money to help others. We don't generally get any credit for it and are often thought as people who don't give back to our communities. Whereas, when the church gives, it's assumed every single person claiming xtian is the soul of generosity and giving. Ha!

I think in my gift bags I will do a little printout of the local food banks, shelters and services within a 25 mile radius. Then at least they know where more help is and the numbers to contact them if they want.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
21-01-2016, 06:49 PM
When I lived in SoCal the last place I had was in a neighborhood with many homeless due to its location.

What JB says is right in the sense that many times all they want is to be seen as people rather than obstacles. It's amazing, the stories you hear, and the people you meet, on the streets.

Anyway, for a while I volunteered at a food bank, handing out food to the indigent. I'd give an occasional buck or two here or there -- I've had experiences with "veterans" and other bullshit artists enough that simply handing out money seemed like throwing it away. I reckoned that working at a food bank, I was helping those who really needed it.

I've had experiences with generosity being abused, but prefer to err on the side of kindness.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post