Speaker of the House- split GOP? can someone explain in simple terms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Speaker of the House- split GOP? can someone explain in simple terms
So I am trying to figure out what all the hoopla about Boehner leaving, now McCathy (who was the shoe in) dropped out, Ryan doesn't want it.

??

Can someone explain what is going on.There seems to be a lot of behind the scene action, and chess moves happening, and is there is division in the Republican camp? how are the two sides different?

consider me clueless, but in search of information.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2015, 11:54 AM
RE: Speaker of the House- split GOP? can someone explain in simple terms
They need a majority to elect a speaker. Approx 30-40 very far right republicans refuse to vote for anyone they don't think to be conservative enough. Without those 30-40 votes, they can't get anyone elected apparently.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
08-10-2015, 12:20 PM
so being crazy isn't enough? they have to be bat shit crazy? Blink

so...how long can they drag this out? is this just another ploy to shutdown the govt and collect a free paycheck?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
08-10-2015, 12:26 PM
No, they'll have one picked behind closed doors before the vote. I'm sure of it. They can't risk any more bad publicity one year out from the 2016 election.

08-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Figuring out which of the ( R ) senators is most suited to lead is sort of like trying to guess which seagull in a flock is most likely to date Scarlett Johansson.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-10-2015, 02:18 PM
(08-10-2015 02:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Figuring out which of the ( R ) senators is most suited to lead is sort of like trying to guess which seagull in a flock is most likely to date Scarlett Johansson.
I think that's true for any politician these days. Few are for the people.

[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
08-10-2015, 02:23 PM
They're just having a tea party. (You know, the kind in "Alice in Wonderland").

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-10-2015, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2015 03:10 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
It's not just the congress that is split. The party is splitting. I belong to a few Republican groups, and the majority of us are moving towards the center. We try to distance ourselves from the far right racist loonies. Look at the support for Ben Carson. Never thought I'd see the day a black Republican actually had a chance to be the nominee. But here he is, with major support. My wife's brother is gay and belongs to some gay Republican group. Moderate republicans are trying to reach out to minorities and gays, and even atheists, which is how I got into it. The far right racist, anti government over zealous religious types are going to have to come to grips with the fact they be mostly gone within 50 years. If republicans are going to survive as a party, they'll need to stick to low taxes, fiscal conservatism, military strength and gun rights. Social issues like abortion, gay rights, and pushing religion on people are almost extinct. Most of us that vote Republican really don't care about that. We want jobs, not handouts. We want less people sneaking across the border. We want to rid the world of terrorists (not Muslims).

Too often the rest of us get lumped with the far right tea party lunatics. Most Americans want the same thing, we just have a different plan to get there.

Edit: Although there is the possibility that a majority of republicans get fed up with the constant move towards the center, start a civil war, or just use their huge advantage of guns and take over completely, banning all forms of liberalism.

08-10-2015, 03:31 PM
(08-10-2015 12:20 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  so being crazy isn't enough? they have to be bat shit crazy? Blink

so...how long can they drag this out? is this just another ploy to shutdown the govt and collect a free paycheck?

Boehner doesn't retire until the end of October, right on Hollows eve I believe? Idk, so around that time it ought to have to be hammered out.

The issue is as it was stated above.

I thought there was some main guy that was likely the 2nd up to challenge McCarthy anyway, some guy from like a Utah or Nevada like state.

Yeah Jason Chaffetz, I think he's the likely guy, the one who doesn't know how mathematics works. Seems a great choice.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
08-10-2015, 03:45 PM
It occurred to me, maybe Kevin McCarthy declined because he has some skeletons in the closet somewhere. Just a thought.

Or... it's such a shitty job that he couldn't stand the thought of it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.