Speaker of the House- split GOP? can someone explain in simple terms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2015, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2015 04:02 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Speaker of the House- split GOP? can someone explain in simple terms
(08-10-2015 11:51 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  So I am trying to figure out what all the hoopla about Boehner leaving, now McCathy (who was the shoe in) dropped out, Ryan doesn't want it.

??

Can someone explain what is going on.There seems to be a lot of behind the scene action, and chess moves happening, and is there is division in the Republican camp? how are the two sides different?

consider me clueless, but in search of information.

They can't get 218 Republicans to agree on anything except defunding Planned Parenthood and repealing the Affordable Care Act. They have 247 votes but if the 40 or so batshit bonkers members of the Freedom Caucus refuse to vote for a "moderate" McCarthy's only getting 207 votes. I think they're at the point where they realize they have to stop acquiescing to the caucus of no and eat humble pie to get the 10 or so votes from the Democrats.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Math is not my friend, but let's see if I have this figured out

218 Republicans and *only* 30-40 are bat shit crazy. (far right I presume)

And the other 180 can't reign them in? Facepalm

oh ffs

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
08-10-2015, 07:23 PM
(08-10-2015 07:13 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Math is not my friend, but let's see if I have this figured out

218 Republicans and *only* 30-40 are bat shit crazy. (far right I presume)

And the other 180 can't reign them in? Facepalm

oh ffs

Almost. There are 247 Republicans, 30-40 of which are batshit insane and will only vote "yes" for defunding Planned Parenthood or repealing the ACA. Everything else they vote "no" on. You need 218 votes to have a majority. The not so batshit insane Republicans only have 207-217 votes. So yes, the other 207-217 Republicans can't reign in the 30 or 40. I think that's about to change. They'll start to look for support from Democrats because they are so fucking embarrassed by what we all are seeing.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
08-10-2015, 07:35 PM
(08-10-2015 07:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think that's about to change. They'll start to look for support from Democrats because they are so fucking embarrassed by what we all are seeing.

Unless someone like the putz Chaffetz from Utah gets selected.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
08-10-2015, 08:50 PM
(08-10-2015 07:35 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 07:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think that's about to change. They'll start to look for support from Democrats because they are so fucking embarrassed by what we all are seeing.

Unless someone like the putz Chaffetz from Utah gets selected.

I like to think they will not let this happen. If they do, I'm going all Mad Max and shit.

08-10-2015, 10:14 PM
(08-10-2015 03:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It occurred to me, maybe Kevin McCarthy declined because he has some skeletons in the closet somewhere. Just a thought.

Or... it's such a shitty job that he couldn't stand the thought of it.

I'm replying to myself which is kinda dumb I know but I might not have been too far off on the skeletons in the closet thing... Or rather extra marital affair in the closet. They are just allegations at this point.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kevi...2030a1e0a8

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-10-2015, 06:02 AM
(08-10-2015 12:20 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  so being crazy isn't enough? they have to be bat shit crazy? Blink

Back in 2010, a whole bunch of freshman were elected to congress on the idea that they wouldn't do any compromising with the Democrats. This has been a lot of the source of the grid lock in congress for the last five years.

They show up to the room with their arms crossed, and if anyone (from either side!) begins talking about negotiating, they all pull out grenades and threaten to pull the pins. The problem is, most people from both parties don't agree with them, but there are enough of them to bog a lot of things down.

What we're basically seeing is a bunch of man-children who can't agree to take turns playing the games everyone wants, and they are doing their best to just hold onto the ball and pitch a fit.

(08-10-2015 02:44 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's not just the congress that is split. The party is splitting. I belong to a few Republican groups, and the majority of us are moving towards the center. We try to distance ourselves from the far right racist loonies.
Too often the rest of us get lumped with the far right tea party lunatics. Most Americans want the same thing, we just have a different plan to get there.

Being a liberal commie pinko, I'm kind of hoping the party will split. I'd like to see the Tea Party try to brand themselves as their own party and pull the most right-leaning people from the Republican party. Then, the GOP can move closer to the center to try and pull moderate voters from the Democrats. The end result will hopefully be the Tea Party regarded as a lunatic fringe, and the GOP will be able to negotiate with the Democrats in good faith.

Of course, I'm not sure what that would do in the long term. After not winning any national elections for a decade, they'd probably dissolve and be absorbed back into the Republican party, dragging it back to the right, again. Yay, first-past-the-post, voting! Forcing false dilemmas since 1776.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-10-2015, 06:52 AM
(08-10-2015 02:44 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's not just the congress that is split. The party is splitting. I belong to a few Republican groups, and the majority of us are moving towards the center. We try to distance ourselves from the far right racist loonies. Look at the support for Ben Carson. Never thought I'd see the day a black Republican actually had a chance to be the nominee. But here he is, with major support. My wife's brother is gay and belongs to some gay Republican group. Moderate republicans are trying to reach out to minorities and gays, and even atheists, which is how I got into it. The far right racist, anti government over zealous religious types are going to have to come to grips with the fact they be mostly gone within 50 years. If republicans are going to survive as a party, they'll need to stick to low taxes, fiscal conservatism, military strength and gun rights. Social issues like abortion, gay rights, and pushing religion on people are almost extinct. Most of us that vote Republican really don't care about that. We want jobs, not handouts. We want less people sneaking across the border. We want to rid the world of terrorists (not Muslims).

Too often the rest of us get lumped with the far right tea party lunatics. Most Americans want the same thing, we just have a different plan to get there.

Edit: Although there is the possibility that a majority of republicans get fed up with the constant move towards the center, start a civil war, or just use their huge advantage of guns and take over completely, banning all forms of liberalism.

yeah, that's not going to happen, 4th Horseman. Sorry.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.