Speaking in Tongues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2017, 04:19 AM
RE: Speaking in Tongues
Yeah I agree.
I said baptist, but Pentecostal was probably the case.

You have to be odd to be #1.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2017, 05:55 AM
The goofy bastards think they're going to live in MegaDisneyland with the Emperor of the Universe after they die.

Having a secret language is pretty pedestrian in comparison.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Speaking in Tongues
As a young impressionable child whose bs filter had not yet developed, I went to a Pentecostal Church. The speaking in tongues thing confused me. The following week I asked my minister about it and he had an interesting take on it. Instead of being made-up gibberish (which is exactly what it sounded like to me), he said true speaking in tongues would be when everyone understands you, no matter what language you speak. Like a supernatural Star Trek universal translator or something. I have no idea where he got that. I’ve checked a number of sources and no one has anything confirming that.

The speaking in tongues stuff was one thing but the screaming and snakes just scared the daylights out of me. Those people were crazy. I concluded that speaking in tongues was just made-up gibberish. Or performance art.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
04-08-2017, 07:42 AM
(03-08-2017 08:34 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 07:13 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I would have to check my trusty bible but didn't Paul in one of his letters show some irritation with it? I know it's in Acts but somewhere else Paul's scolding one of his cult groups and says "I turn my back for five minutes and everybody's talking crazy shit...this is not what I told you a-holes to do." Those may not be the exact words.

IIRC, he's mostly complaining that people with the "gift" of speaking tongues were acting all superior to those who didn't have it, rather than being upset that they were speaking in tongues at all.

Thank you for the clarification.

I wonder how the preachers that believe in it and allow it in their churches feel about it. On the one hand, if it's true then it's the miraculous intervention of God himself into the affairs of man. But if you do it all the time, it must be an eye-rolling shitload of nuisance. "Steve, that's your third speaking in tongues this morning, I'm trying to start Circle Time here and you're freaking out the kids. You and God give it a fucking rest."
04-08-2017, 07:46 AM
(03-08-2017 03:31 PM)aloneinalabama Wrote:  Has anyone here actually spoken in tongues in a former life? Did a euphoric feeling come over you? Did it make you dance in the aisles and speak?

Sure, fill me up with Vodka and I do it all the time.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
04-08-2017, 07:51 AM
(04-08-2017 07:32 AM)Rachel Wrote:  As a young impressionable child whose bs filter had not yet developed, I went to a Pentecostal Church. The speaking in tongues thing confused me. The following week I asked my minister about it and he had an interesting take on it. Instead of being made-up gibberish (which is exactly what it sounded like to me), he said true speaking in tongues would be when everyone understands you, no matter what language you speak. Like a supernatural Star Trek universal translator or something. I have no idea where he got that. I’ve checked a number of sources and no one has anything confirming that.
He got it from the account in Acts where "everyone heard the good news in their own language" but I think he had it garbled up a bit. The text there suggests that different Christians spoke real human languages of the region, enough so that it was rather as if there were multiple translators standing around repeating the message in different languages. It was portrayed as a miracle of translation, basically. NO ONE speaking in tongues speaks in any human language today, it is all gibberish portrayed as a heavenly or spiritual language gifted to you by god as a sign that he is real. Pretty pathetic if that's all god can muster, in my view.

The scriptural support for this "gibberish" style of glossolalia is much more dicey. It can easily be argued that 100% of the glossolalia depicted in the NT is speaking in known languages. It is rather as if modern tongues-speakers are attempting a post hoc justification based on some general similarities with the phenomenon described in the NT. Which is a total surprise; when have theists EVER used post hoc rationalizations?
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
04-08-2017, 08:05 AM
(04-08-2017 07:42 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 08:34 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  IIRC, he's mostly complaining that people with the "gift" of speaking tongues were acting all superior to those who didn't have it, rather than being upset that they were speaking in tongues at all.

Thank you for the clarification.

I wonder how the preachers that believe in it and allow it in their churches feel about it. On the one hand, if it's true then it's the miraculous intervention of God himself into the affairs of man. But if you do it all the time, it must be an eye-rolling shitload of nuisance. "Steve, that's your third speaking in tongues this morning, I'm trying to start Circle Time here and you're freaking out the kids. You and God give it a fucking rest."
I never spoke in tongues nor drank any of the Kool-Aid of the modern charismatic movement. However, I had some exposure to it because my first wife was interested in some aspects of it, like physical and emotional and mental healing. So for a little while we went to what I call "soft core charismatic" churches like an Assembly of God megachurch and a small independent congregation that did not much emphasize tongues.

In the AOG megachurch it seemed like there were just certain people with this recognized "gift" and they much more favored the "gift of prophecy" which is basically the same as glossolalia but in English. Someone stands up and pretends they are the Holy Spirit and says something like, "My children, [insert vague inspiration or exhortation or warning here]".

In either of these churches to the extent tongues was explained / taught, the notion was to just start "speaking out in faith", whatever syllables come to mind, and build one's confidence / overcome one's natural inhibitions until you become "fluent". True, you heard more of this in corporate worship experiences, but that's true of all aspects of positive feels in Christianity whether or not tongues are involved, you need a special atmosphere, architecture, music, and ritual to bring those out. Just like a ghost hunter must do their thing in the dark of night in a creepy old house. Same principle.

Another variant of glossolalia that is less personally embarrassing is "singing in the spirit". Typically at the end of some perfectly ordinary gospel anthem or praise song, the accompanist or orchestra sustains the last chord, perhaps does minor variations on it, for a minute or two and then the whole congregation does a sort of dreamy set of spontaneous quasi-melodic progressions over those sustained chords. Occasionally it's accidentally rather lovely, some of the sopranos in the crowd will reach really high and do glissandos and such. It is just improvisation on crowd feedback, and it doesn't require any one individual to "act out" in a particular way. Safety in numbers. You can even not participate and no one will notice. In such churches if you keep your eyes closed, make a few mouth movements now and then as if in deep prayer, and perhaps keep your forearms elevated, no one will know if you're cheating or just in a deep meditative trance.
04-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Hahaha. I remember there was a crazy lady two houses down from us that would open up her front windows on a nice summer day and start speaking in tongues. It was quite loud. She did this frequently, at least every two weeks. One day my mother had enough of that shit and went over in front of her house and yelled at the top of her voice..

Shut the hell up!

We didn't hear much for a while but then she started up again however it seemed to be a quieter version of the same nonsense. I guess god turned the volume down.

My mother was such a character. Miss her.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-08-2017, 10:05 AM
I've never seen it, but I remembered this video from Cult of Dusty where he recounts some interesting experiences.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2017, 02:31 PM
I should also mention that there is a rule that Paul sets down in one of his letters that if someone speaks in tongues, someone should interpret afterwards. Which sort of renders speaking in tongues pointless; the message could just be spoken in the listener's native tongue anyway (the "gift of prophecy"). In fact I think Paul makes the point that the gift of prophecy is superior to the gift of tongues or this reason.

Modern tongues-speakers of course try to suggest that since the glossolalia needed interpreting per Paul, it must be the modern gibberish version, but what Paul was talking about could just as well have been claimed to be speaking in a real human language not known to the listeners.

All such debates quickly degenerate into this kind of nonsense, not really more edifying than how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. But that is the faux discipline of theology for you.