Speaking in Tongues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2017, 03:31 PM
Speaking in Tongues
Growing up Southern Baptist, our congregation never did this. Although one time as a lark, we did visit the snake handling church in Jackson County, Alabama. (that is a whole different thread)

Having overheard a co-worker today talking on the phone about her 'spirit language', I became curious. It seems quite a few mainline Christians are going non-denominational that believe in spiritual healing and the speaking in tongues.

Has anyone here actually spoken in tongues in a former life? Did a euphoric feeling come over you? Did it make you dance in the aisles and speak?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes aloneinalabama's post
03-08-2017, 06:25 PM
RE: Speaking in Tongues
(03-08-2017 03:31 PM)aloneinalabama Wrote:  Growing up Southern Baptist, our congregation never did this. Although one time as a lark, we did visit the snake handling church in Jackson County, Alabama. (that is a whole different thread)

Having overheard a co-worker today talking on the phone about her 'spirit language', I became curious. It seems quite a few mainline Christians are going non-denominational that believe in spiritual healing and the speaking in tongues.

Has anyone here actually spoken in tongues in a former life? Did a euphoric feeling come over you? Did it make you dance in the aisles and speak?

> It's a trick called glossolalia. Anyone, even an atheist, can do it with a little practice. Dodgy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
03-08-2017, 07:13 PM
In my neck of the woods speaking in tongues would be considered weeeeeiiiiirrrrd, Christians around here are humble and that would be considered showing off.

I would have to check my trusty bible but didn't Paul in one of his letters show some irritation with it? I know it's in Acts but somewhere else Paul's scolding one of his cult groups and says "I turn my back for five minutes and everybody's talking crazy shit...this is not what I told you a-holes to do." Those may not be the exact words.

03-08-2017, 07:38 PM
I think speaking in tongues is akin to working a Ouija board that has only abstract characters.

No one has any fuc'n idea what the message is suppose to be, but it is a pretty impressive theatrical show.
Till the "interpreter" steps in.

OMG. Just pass the offering fuc'n plate already and lets get home to that fired chicken w mashtatos and green beans.

Seen it done a couple times in a couple baptist churches. I will admit it shook my confidence in the integrity of the "touched" folk that did it too.
I'll never forget her absolutely beautiful Siren quality singing voice. (this couple sang in tongues) Sounded so authentic it was hard to discredit.
Yet since it was gibberish, discrediting was not needed other than the "from god" claim.

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
03-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Does the way Christians try to describe the trinity or scriptural contradictions count as speaking in tongues? It's certainly incomprehensible.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
03-08-2017, 08:34 PM
(03-08-2017 07:13 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  In my neck of the woods speaking in tongues would be considered weeeeeiiiiirrrrd, Christians around here are humble and that would be considered showing off.

I would have to check my trusty bible but didn't Paul in one of his letters show some irritation with it? I know it's in Acts but somewhere else Paul's scolding one of his cult groups and says "I turn my back for five minutes and everybody's talking crazy shit...this is not what I told you a-holes to do." Those may not be the exact words.

IIRC, he's mostly complaining that people with the "gift" of speaking tongues were acting all superior to those who didn't have it, rather than being upset that they were speaking in tongues at all.
03-08-2017, 08:38 PM
(03-08-2017 03:31 PM)aloneinalabama Wrote:  Growing up Southern Baptist, our congregation never did this. Although one time as a lark, we did visit the snake handling church in Jackson County, Alabama. (that is a whole different thread)

Yes, I spoke in tongues, I could walk into any evangelical church and fit right in with their weirdness.

Being "filled with the holy ghost" was an emotional religious experience, you had full expectation that the words would flow once you had this emotional experience, for many this is when they manifest the speaking in tongues, then it's just a matter of repeating and augmenting the basic babble that you began with.

Just envision going to a concert of your favorite group, being totally enraptured and taken away by the experience as they play your favorite song, then all of a sudden you are so emotionally overwhelmed that you babble instead of using your brain to form words. Others around you are swaying to the music and doing the same thing, each with their own babble using different made-up words. That's what it's like. Facepalm

Now think of going home from that concert and a few days later you want to recreate that moment. You babble the same words from your memory, but it's more of a repetition and not the quality of that one emotional moment a few days ago, you can sometimes recreate that moment by going to church and getting emotionally enraptured again.

Perhaps you can see why some people are so involved with religion, they go to this exclusive club of "spirit filled" believers where they all understand exactly what it's all about, but anyone from the outside thinks they have all lost their mind and that this is a bizarre form of cultish behavior. They would be right. Hobo

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
03-08-2017, 11:42 PM

Speaking in tongues is usually a Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity phenomena. Actually most other denominations dislike it and discourage that. Most certainly the Southern Baptists do.
The technical term used for this is Glossolalia. Google for that for more basic information.

Your fifteen minutes as the Buddha are up.

Cheerful Charlie
04-08-2017, 04:07 AM
Round these parts they would be described as 'gibbering idiots'

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
04-08-2017, 04:10 AM
Isn't it the same overall "thing" as when the preacher puts his hands on you, and you faint? Like it's all in the mind.

The best example of how stupid this is, is from that Borat movie, where he just pretends to be doing it, and the theists just love it. I'm not even sure what It's supposed to mean/represent, speaking in tongues, like is it supposed to be a language or what? To mean it would mean you are mental.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user