Speaking in tongues???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Speaking in tongues???
What is this? and why do christians do it? and whats their rational behind it?

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2011, 11:47 AM
RE: Speaking in tongues???
(27-12-2011 11:41 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  What is this? and why do christians do it? and whats their rational behind it?

Someone else will probably give a much better explanation but I'll give you my short one.

There is some scriptures where someone (can't remember name) was preaching and others that spoke different languages heard him preach in there own language as though he was speaking their language. That incoherent babble you hear Pentecostals doing is just what it is, incoherent babble. There are tons around my home that are Pentecostals and some of them think just like we do (that it's retarded).

This is my take on it. Like I said though, someone who has a better memory the scriptures can respond in more detail.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2011, 11:50 AM
It's a clear sign that the person is bat shit crazy.
[+] 2 users Like Kaos MD's post
27-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Here ya go Rabbit.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
27-12-2011, 12:03 PM
There are two types of speaking in tongues mentioned in the Bible.

1) Speaking in a known language that is unknown to the speaker. No interpreter is needed. This would be like if I went to Japan and started talking English but everyone understood me in Japanese.

2) Speaking ecstatically (gibberish). This is commonly abused and identified as a prayer language. Be that as it may, it is not to be done in front of others without an interpreter (1 Cor. 14). If there is no interpreter, then it is not of God.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
27-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I thought of Borat.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
27-12-2011, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2011 12:42 PM by Infidel.)
Wink RE: Speaking in tongues???
(27-12-2011 11:51 AM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Here ya go Rabbit.

I was just thinking of this video when I scrolled down and saw that you had posted it. I think the church goers are brainwashed into accepting this in order to prove they fit in with the congregation, and are filled with the "holy spirit".

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
[+] 3 users Like Infidel's post
27-12-2011, 01:13 PM
The others covered this topic pretty well, but to make it complete, I will show you what exactly it's based on.

Check this quote.

Quote: 1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
(Acts 2)

Now, for many-many centuries nobody was dishonest enough to pretend that they can do it and it never occurred naturally. This gave a few neo-protestant churches the opportunity to claim that all other christians are fake christians and the Holy Spirit has forsaken them a long time ago because, look, *we* are the ones who receive the Holy Spirit all the time and we are able to speak in tongues, so God has chosen us, not your church. Join us!

And speaking in tongues is pretty much random babbling like you saw in the video, but they receive a lot of social pressure to start doing it too, because, otherwise, God has not blessed you yet and therefore you will never truly be part of the community. You have not been confirmed until you are able to speak in tongues. Some atheists coming from such churches have confessed that they had been pressured by their own pastor to fake it.

Other "signs" of the holy spirit are, in some places, hysterical laughter, goofy dancing, fainting and shaking like an epileptic, and also, faith healing.

We certainly live in an interesting world

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 2 users Like Malleus's post
27-12-2011, 01:14 PM
(27-12-2011 11:41 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  What is this? and why do christians do it? and whats their rational behind it?

No, not all do. There seems to be an inverse correlation between speaking in tongues and intelligence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-12-2011, 01:35 PM
(27-12-2011 01:13 PM)Malleus Wrote:  The others covered this topic pretty well, but to make it complete, I will show you what exactly it's based on.

Check this quote.

Quote: 1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
(Acts 2)

Now, for many-many centuries nobody was dishonest enough to pretend that they can do it and it never occurred naturally. This gave a few neo-protestant churches the opportunity to claim that all other christians are fake christians and the Holy Spirit has forsaken them a long time ago because, look, *we* are the ones who receive the Holy Spirit all the time and we are able to speak in tongues, so God has chosen us, not your church. Join us!

And speaking in tongues is pretty much random babbling like you saw in the video, but they receive a lot of social pressure to start doing it too, because, otherwise, God has not blessed you yet and therefore you will never truly be part of the community. You have not been confirmed until you are able to speak in tongues. Some atheists coming from such churches have confessed that they had been pressured by their own pastor to fake it.

Other "signs" of the holy spirit are, in some places, hysterical laughter, goofy dancing, fainting and shaking like an epileptic, and also, faith healing.

We certainly live in an interesting world

On tiny alteration here:

Protestants that "speak" in tongues use the above passage completely and blatantly out of context. "Tongues" here was a "different, yet KNOWN language"; not a random spitting of syllables.

Read on:
5 Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own [g]language. 7 They were amazed and astonished, saying, “[h]Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we each hear them in our own [i]language [j]to which we were born?

It's safe to say that 99% [No, KC, it's 100% - beat you to it, Chas] of the people you hear speaking in tongues are faking it. The prayer language is rare and even rarer in front of others.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post