Speaking in tongues: A confession

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
RE: Speaking in tongues: A confession
(04-08-2013 04:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 03:57 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  Interesting. Many years ago I had a conversation with a man who was raised Pentecostal but converted to Judaism. At the time I was a non-religious but not definitively an atheist.

I asked him what it was like to speak in tongues. He said it was like being hypnotized and he didn't remember.

So I suppose there are some who are not faking it.

Not consciously faking it.

Let's see the evidence that anyone is speaking an actual language. Drinking Beverage

Self-hypnosis is a real thing and explains a lot of mystic crap.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Needless to say, he didn't believe it was a real language when he told me about it?

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2013, 04:20 PM
(04-08-2013 04:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 04:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not consciously faking it.

Let's see the evidence that anyone is speaking an actual language. Drinking Beverage

Self-hypnosis is a real thing and explains a lot of mystic crap.

Sure. It does.

But my point was that it's still not 'real' speaking in tongues.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-08-2013, 04:26 PM
(04-08-2013 04:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 04:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Self-hypnosis is a real thing and explains a lot of mystic crap.

Sure. It does.

I agree entirely. Was just pointing out how someone could be unaware of faking it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
04-08-2013, 04:27 PM
(04-08-2013 04:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 04:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sure. It does.

I agree entirely. Was just pointing out how someone could be unaware of faking it.

Yup, pious fraud.

04-08-2013, 04:29 PM
(04-08-2013 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 04:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I agree entirely. Was just pointing out how someone could be unaware of faking it.

Yup, pious fraud.

I may be mistake but Pious fraud is intentionally lying to promote the "greater good" of enhancing the faith.

04-08-2013, 04:30 PM
(04-08-2013 04:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yup, pious fraud.

I may be mistake but Pious fraud is intentionally lying to promote the "greater good" of enhancing the faith.

Right you are. Wrong I am.Bowing

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-08-2013, 09:47 PM
(04-08-2013 03:57 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  Interesting. Many years ago I had a conversation with a man who was raised Pentecostal but converted to Judaism. At the time I was a non-religious but not definitively an atheist.

I asked him what it was like to speak in tongues. He said it was like being hypnotized and he didn't remember.

So I suppose there are some who are not faking it.

Yeah, that's pretty much a lie. Not what you said; what he said. Lie. Untruth.
04-08-2013, 09:51 PM
People who speak in tongues do not lose control of their faculties, and those who claim they do are lying: if not to you, then to themselves.
05-08-2013, 12:24 AM
...okay, this is a bit weird for me.

I have less-than-fully-conscious vocalizations. In gibberish, rarely, but mostly in English. They are a symptom of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Sometimes the content is numbers... not really random, since "nine" seems to show up a lot... but meaningless, disconnected from anything around me. Sometimes it's truly horrible crap that I don't want to repeat, and is equally disconnected from anything actually in my environment, but may possibly be reflective of unconscious goings-on, related to PTSD.

My OCD is not the cool kind that means all my floors are clean and I can always find old bank statements. Mine is more like obsessive consumption (food, pot, drink, news, this forum, anything, but distinct from addiction, because it shifts around), obsessive vocalization, weird counting habits, finding words with letters in the same sequence as passing license plates, acronym-ising any title or business name I see. The only helpful obsessive habit I have is assessing and acknowledging the limits of my knowledge and abilities. And one limit is, so far at least, I can't stop these strange, disturbing vocalizations. It's not Tourette syndrome... I thought that at first, but it's distinctly different, though the symptoms have some similarity. One good thing is, they happen mostly when I think I'm alone. So, my family is only occasionally aware of them.

Okay, my own confession is done. We can go back to dissing glossolalia now. Confused

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.