Speaking in tongues: A confession

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-08-2013, 01:00 AM
RE: Speaking in tongues: A confession
The only experience I've personally had (that is not watching it in some documentary or TV show) with this phenomenon was at this past Christmas. My wife's family all got to gether in Texas to surprise her grandmother who isn't expected to live much longer. Her family is almost entirely Evangelical Christian, so far as I know I was the only non-religious one there, but there is one particular trio (aunt, uncle, cousin) who take evangelism to a new level.

At Christmas dinner, said cousin and aunt were sitting at the piano playing and singing Christmas carols, quite nice for the atmosphere of the party. All was fine until suddenly and very unexpectadly, the cousin started shouting out and wailing and crying at the top of his lungs. I think I was the only one to really acknowledge what was happening, being the newest member of their family it wasn't known to me that they did that sort of thing. I could tell it was all crap, completely made up babbling consisting entirely of sha-s, ba-s, na-s, ma's and -mum's, but others seemed to think it was an actual religious experience brought on by "the sprit". Bullshit says I, but I'm not exactly able to talk to any of them about it, so I kept it to myself until I could talk to the wife. She just rolled her eyes at me and told me to let it go.

I don't get where that kind of religious conviction can come from. Nothing in my life has ever moved me to that level of fanaticism in anything, so it is quite strange for me to see people making fools of themselves for seemingly no reason.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 03:16 AM
(04-08-2013 09:47 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 03:57 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  Interesting. Many years ago I had a conversation with a man who was raised Pentecostal but converted to Judaism. At the time I was a non-religious but not definitively an atheist.

I asked him what it was like to speak in tongues. He said it was like being hypnotized and he didn't remember.

So I suppose there are some who are not faking it.

Yeah, that's pretty much a lie. Not what you said; what he said. Lie. Untruth.

Doesn't make sense that he'd lie.

He had already rejected Pentecostalism as an evil imposture.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Abdul Alhazred's post
05-08-2013, 03:43 AM
Before my deconversion I was quite frightened of people who supposedly spoke in tongues. Even then I thought they were crazy but I also thought would most likely flip out and attack me and so I tried to stay far away from any of those freaks. I wouldn't even let them touch me I was so scared of them. Hell, they still give me the willies.
05-08-2013, 08:46 AM
tl;dr

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
To clarify:
I don't think it's a stretch that a person brought up in a crazy faith might babble incoherently in a trance and really believe it is an angelic language (with somebody else "interpreting").

BTW, there was stuff like that it classical Paganism, too.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
[+] 1 user Likes Abdul Alhazred's post
05-08-2013, 09:59 AM
(05-08-2013 09:55 AM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  To clarify:
I don't think it's a stretch that a person brought up in a crazy faith might babble incoherently in a trance and really believe it is an angelic language (with somebody else "interpreting").

BTW, there was stuff like that it classical Paganism, too.

Haitian Voodoo has a lot of it as well. It is caused by going into a trance-like state and more or less self hypnotising. Well documented scientific studies on voodoo rites came out awhile back (not sure where to find it) that explained pretty much everything.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-08-2013, 05:02 PM

6:45

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
08-08-2013, 12:01 PM
(05-08-2013 03:16 AM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 09:47 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Yeah, that's pretty much a lie. Not what you said; what he said. Lie. Untruth.

Doesn't make sense that he'd lie.

He had already rejected Pentecostalism as an evil imposture.

Maybe "lie" is not the right word.

There is nothing in the speaking in tongues experience that presupposes a trance-like state with the speaker failing to even remember the experience. Not even in Pentecostalism, best as I can tell. As such, I question the accuracy of what this person is telling you. If he really has no memory of what he spoke, then he's relying on someone else to report back to him what he did when he was in this trance-state. Knowing how speaking in tongues works, I question the honesty of the person who told him what he did.

Alternatively, I question whether he really did go into a trancelike state in the first place. People who engage in speaking in tongues are already deceiving themselves in the first place. Thus, you almost have to question their integrity when it comes to how they describe the experience -- at least until the point when they fess up. Fessing up is not an easy thing to do. I think showing people what free vocalization is, as well as how that very simple exercise is exploited by the people who taught them, makes it much easier to get people to fess up. I've seen that happen: people who swore up and down that they experienced the real thing get honest with themselves if shown that their experience is indistinguishable from fraud.

I'd wager that a deeper conversation with your friend about what really happened would reveal more truth than he has been willing to confront to date.

But that's a wager.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post