Speaking of Skyrim.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2013, 05:11 PM
RE: Speaking of Skyrim.
On the casting thing, they did kind of screw that pooch a bit. They made a baseline spell and gave you access to perks and to multiple magic items to turn that baseline spell into a mega spell. Then when the mega spell seemed like it could become overpowered, they set the baseline to be very weak, so weak that when you applied all the boosts you would get to the right power level. But doing it this way makes the spells require the necessary boots. It's not an option. As was pointed out, being a blaster-caster is pitifully weak unless you apply all the right gear to make it work. The gear becomes mandatory rather than interesting.

And Daedra forbid if you want to be a caster/thief combo and want to use some of those items you're wearing to add bonuses to lockpicking, pickpocketing, stealth, or even carry weight. Now you have to lug around a spare set of gear or suffer with weak spellcasting. What fun - "oh, look, a master lock. Let me switch out my gloves, boots, ring, and necklace before I pick it. Then I can switch all of that back before I walk into the next room and get into a fight."

Mind you, with 6 characters that have finished the game after level 50, I can honestly say I love the game despite its flaws, but this flaw is a rather big design issue that has always vexed my casters.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
26-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Another thing that bothers me and seems like such a huge oversight is having no head shot modifier. If not baseline why not a perk in archery that adds/boosts head shot damage. It's like gamer instinct to aim for the head, yet you could shoot them in the toe for the same damage.
26-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Speaking of Skyrim.
(25-02-2013 10:28 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 09:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't think that's a good idea, considering that they have repeatedly shown to be unable to develop a game that doesn't have thousands upon thousands of bugs. The only reason why the previous Elder Scrolls games have been playable is because the modding community fixed them.

On the bugs comment...Have you seen the size of the game and how much content is in there? Of course it's never going to be perfect when you have something that huge.

Luckily (At least for me) the bugs are few and far between (on the xbox 360) and 99 percent of the time are nothing more than amusing little things (Once on the Throat Of The World I found a goat with its head and the front of its body stuck in the snow and its butt and back legs pointing straight up in the air)

The good thing about Bethesda is they are quick to fix things, and downloadable patches are made available quickly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't judge them too harshly.

I'm in software QA. I'm involved in the process of development through most of the product cycle. At work we are now dealing with a project more complex than we have ever worked on before. So, my first reaction was to agree with you.

However, I've been playing these RPGs on PC and Xbox 360 for almost as long as I've been playing World of Warcraft. I have to be honest, with as many bugs as I've dealt with in WoW...it still does not compare to the amount of fail in Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

I agree its a well designed game with more art than most (but not more than WoW). But it was poorly executed. It also seems to have been hastily released with less QA work done.

That's my professional analysis FWIW.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
26-02-2013, 05:54 PM
I am in QA also. Never games though - as much as I'd love to be a QA engineer for a video game company, they never pay as much as the business sector does. Usually not even half as much, for QA.

I agree with the smurf. Bethesda games are woefully buggy, especially on PC. Not just the countless small graphics issues, naming issues, texture issues, collision issues, but also big gameplay issues. I have to restart Skyrim about once an hour, sometimes more frequently than that. It just freezes, locks up, or crashed to desktop. I don't dare play without quick-saving every couple minutes, certainly after any hard battle that I don't want to repeat after the PC crashes. The same with Fallout 3, also, though not quite as often (maybe once every 2-3 hours). On the same machine, I play every other game, dozens of other games by dozens of companies, without ever having to restart most of them (I just today was playing the same Borderlands 2 game that I started last week - I just pause it when I walk away or Alt-Shift out of it, then unpause it when I want to play some more). So my PC is perfectly stable and so is almost every game I run on it, but not Bethesda games.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
26-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Skyrim was awesome, especially for PC, with all the high res/graphical packs and mods... TES online looks pretty bad by comparison.

It seems I've lost almost all interest in playing video games over the last year. Still looking forward to GTA5 though...

Too bad the 120+ ps3 and 360 games I have aren't really worth anything.
26-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Speaking of Skyrim.
(26-02-2013 06:01 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Skyrim was awesome, especially for PC, with all the high res/graphical packs and mods... TES online looks pretty bad by comparison.

It seems I've lost almost all interest in playing video games over the last year. Still looking forward to GTA5 though...

Too bad the 120+ ps3 and 360 games I have aren't really worth anything.

Yes, you reminded me I've already seen in-game video from the beta. I was unimpressed by the animations and graphics. Le Sigh...

They were way too stiff and mechanical. But then, I've been spoiled by WoW.

26-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Speaking of Skyrim.
Aseptic, have you ever measured Skyrim's memory consumption or open handle count while running it? I've been meaning to but never got around to it. I have found that Process Explorer is a handy tool for tracking these data points in real time but I have yet to find the right tool to log such usage and chart it so the data survives longer than just a short window. I've seen behavior from Skyrim that smelled suspiciously of memory leak or unclosed handles/improperly released resources but I haven't confirmed it.

26-02-2013, 11:09 PM
On release Skyrim was far more stable than Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or New Vegas (for me at least). The Unofficial Patches are still a huge boon for PC players, and I don't think I'll ever play the series on console.

Also, why on earth are you using Destruction magic with anything other than a pure magic build? If you're dipping into the rogue skills enough to pick up Sneak, Lockpicking, and Pickpocketing, why are you not using Archery and One-Handed weapons for massive sneak attacks? Illusion and Alchemy dovetails nicely with a stealth character, Conjuration is hit or miss, and Destruction and Alteration are a waste.

Destruction and Alteration are the weapons and armor of a Mage, just like Two-Handed and Heavy Armor are for a Warrior; nobody else need apply.

However, you can totally break the system. Make a double enchanted set of armor for 100% Destruction Fortification and 4x Fortify Two Handed (+160% damage), then enchant a powerful two handed weapon with the most powerful/smallest charge Destruction enchantments you can. Now your free Destruction casting also means that your weapon's destruction based enchantment uses no charges. Congratulations, you're walking around with a nuclear bomb tipped weapon, have fun! Big Grin

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
26-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Alteration is not a waste; paralyze alone is worth imo.
I don't want to break the game by exploiting the enchant system. Just used it to have a reasonable amount of health and magicka.
27-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Speaking of Skyrim.
It's not an exploit. You have to reach Enchanting 100 and have some specific perks for it to work. You also need to find *and* fill grand soul gems for each item you'll be enchanting. Not as easy as it sounds when not using the console to cheat but well worth the trouble.