Special stuff that is so normal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2016, 11:13 AM
RE: Special stuff that is so normal
(25-09-2016 07:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  On a totally different note - old fashioned potato chips, no flavoring added. I love the plain, old, normal kind.

I'm with you on the chips -- although right now I'm eating "Kettle Cooked Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper Flavored" chips. But that hardly counts as flavored, since most chips have salt anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
25-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Music.

25-09-2016, 11:16 AM
(25-09-2016 07:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  Another thing for me is birds in flight, landing and taking off. Most are very elegant about it, but some are clumsy to the point of making you wonder how that species even survived.

I read somewhere that peregrine falcons can reach speeds of up to 200 mph when diving for prey. It made me wonder if they ever miscalculate and "crater".
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
25-09-2016, 12:01 PM
The smell of newly mown grass. **Not that kind...the lawn. Dodgy

Just like I loved the smells when I was growing up of newly mown hay and planting season when the ground was freshly turned over on the farms.

But there is none better for me than the first breath of ocean air when we would go to Hatteras or to the beach in SC.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-09-2016, 12:24 PM
(25-09-2016 12:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  But there is none better for me than the first breath of ocean air when we would go to Hatteras or to the beach in SC.

That's one I've never experienced. I live in the middle of a continent (Wisconsin, to be specific), and the closest I've ever been to any ocean is 7 miles above the Atlantic in a 747, and I smelled nothing.

Tongue

Come to think of it, though, when I was in England, I visited Greenwich (east of London), which isn't too far from the North Sea, but I don't remember any special smell there either. Some day I will get to a seashore, but it hasn't happened yet.

Obligatory "special thing that is normal" (so far I've just been commenting on other people's things): Getting soaked to the skin in a rainstorm (this happens to me regularly, since I commute daily by bicycle), realizing that you couldn't possibly get any wetter and that it hasn't done you any real harm, and then just accepting it and ceasing to worry about it. Also, the way a dog shakes itself off after getting wet (I wish I could do that!).
25-09-2016, 01:39 PM
(25-09-2016 07:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  Another thing for me is birds in flight, landing and taking off. Most are very elegant about it, but some are clumsy to the point of making you wonder how that species even survived.

On a totally different note - old fashioned potato chips, no flavoring added. I love the plain, old, normal kind.

My grandmother used to make her own potato chips in bacon fat with a little salt added as they drained. She's gone, but those were still the best chips ever. Drooling

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
25-09-2016, 01:43 PM
(25-09-2016 01:39 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

On a totally different note - old fashioned potato chips, no flavoring added. I love the plain, old, normal kind.

My grandmother used to make her own potato chips in bacon fat with a little salt added as they drained. She's gone, but those were still the best chips ever. Drooling

Drooling

Dammit, I'm on a diet!

Will have to ignore this thread if the food theme is maintained!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
25-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Walking along on a still winters night, listening to the sound of falling snow.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
25-09-2016, 03:23 PM
(25-09-2016 02:22 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Walking along on a still winters night, listening to the sound of falling snow.

The squeak of footfall in fresh, virgin and very cold snow.

Then the pleasure of a warm room and a hot, thick chocolate drink to accompany the brandy.

(Bugger the diet, even if it is not snowing yet!)

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
25-09-2016, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2016 03:44 PM by Marozz.)
(25-09-2016 03:23 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 02:22 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Walking along on a still winters night, listening to the sound of falling snow.

The squeak of footfall in fresh, virgin and very cold snow.

Then the pleasure of a warm room and a hot, thick chocolate drink to accompany the brandy.

(Bugger the diet, even if it is not snowing yet!)
.....mmm...that reminds me, I need to buy a bag of coal...and a bottle of brandy.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí