Special to people in Washington State

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2013, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2013 11:25 PM by JAH.)
Special to people in Washington State
It happens I am in Washington state. There is currently some proposition before the voters that would require that GMO products be so labeled. I have not looked into who is funding it but people against the proposition are using the same deceptive campaign that was used to defeat a similar proposition in California. The basic argument is that this labeling will be so costly that it will hurt farmers, processors, sellers and eventually buyers.

Think about it for 30 seconds. The farmer has to slap a label on his box of whatever that says GMO, or include it in the label already printed on the box (which is very typical for most produce boxes). The processor will have to add GMO to its label which in the case of canned goods already contains a ton of print. The seller will have to add GMO to the label announcing what it is selling and what the cost is. The actual cost to all people who grow, distribute and sell GMO products is trivial. I just looked at an anti proposition web site claiming average food costs to a family in Washington state will go up $450, I think that was the same fallacious argument made in California. It is so obviously a lie that one does really not need to think much about it to realize that it is a lie. It still worked in California, hopefully people in Washington State are more thoughtful.

An amusing aside, I wonder what hard core vegans are going to think when they find out that 80% of the soy beans grown in the US are GMO's.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2013, 12:01 PM
RE: Special to people in Washington State
80%? You, my friend, are in a generous mood. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-09-2013, 11:02 PM
RE: Special to people in Washington State
GMOs? I'm a bit preoccupied with counting the days until we get our weed dispensaries! Smokin
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post