Speculating on the origins of life in the universe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Speculating on the origins of life in the universe
These are just my speculations as an ordinary guy, wanting to hear input from others along these lines. I know this is a huge topic, but I had a thought recently I wanted to share.

Theists claim that life could only arise through supernatural intervention (ie, God). They say life can't be created by natural processes. But what at least YEC's don't realize is the huge effects of long periods of time...what millions or a few billion years can do via evolutionary power.

My thought recently was: what if life-arising-via-natural-orocesses is the modus operandi of the nature of matter and energy in our universe? (I mean, as atheists, that's what we all think, but I'm still thinking of these things from different angles and having more realizations as I have more time since deconversion.) Theists say life MUST come from God creating it. As an atheist, I recognize there's a lot we're learning and a lot we don't know (or maybe never will). But what if the nature of matter and energy is to create life via natural processes in different cases...whether forms like us on earth and maybe other planets...and at many places in the universe, no life at least as we'd recognize it. (So the theist is making a bare assertion, without evidence, that life absolutely cannot arise via natural processes.)

Thanks for your input as I speculate on these matters after only recently deconverting.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2015, 08:24 AM
RE: Speculating on the origins of life in the universe
(Note: I'm not claiming creation of life is the main objective of the universe at all.)
31-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Creationism never explains the origin of life.

All it does is make one more question - where did the creator that made life, come from?

It's just muddies up the issue, rather than clarifying it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
31-01-2015, 08:40 AM
Your head's in the right place. The universe is older and bigger than we can easily wrap our heads around. The chemical processes that would give rise to life are incredibly complex and it would be rare for them to actually take hold, but this "experiment" is being done among such a vast amount of space and time that it's not unlikely to happen somewhere. It's like playing the lottery; the odds of a particular person winning is incredibly small, but the odds of at least one person winning when enough people have bought tickets is actually great.

I'm just thinking out loud.
31-01-2015, 08:51 AM
I would also point out that the dividing line between life and an unconscious grouping of atoms is not at all clear.

Are viruses alive?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
31-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Definitine of "life"

Intakes
Excretes
Replicates

So - at least one third of the explanation or life truly is ---

Shit happens

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
31-01-2015, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 02:06 AM by DLJ.)
(31-01-2015 09:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Definitine of "life"

Intakes
Excretes
Replicates

So - at least one third of the explanation for life truly is ---

Shit happens

And the other two third's are ...

1. Suck it up, kiddo.
3. For fuck's sake

So, in summary, life is...

Suck it up, kiddo, because shit happens, for fuck's sake!

Big Grin

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post