Speed of light and time.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Speed of light and time.
If I was hurled through space at the speed of light [for sake of argument, I could be], . . . would I age anymore? I appreciate your opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2014, 08:55 AM
RE: Speed of light and time.
Quick answer: no.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
18-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Based on our current knowledge:
a. You would have to have no mass to actually reach light speed, but that is by the by,
b. Yes, you would age normally from your reference frame... but the universe around you would live its entire existence in an instant, and would be gone.
c. No, to any observer you appear to be frozen in time for the remaining lifetime of the universe (or until you hit something).
(b) and © both happen, just from different vantage points.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
18-03-2014, 09:35 AM
(18-03-2014 09:24 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Based on our current knowledge:
a. You would have to have no mass to actually reach light speed, but that is by the by,
b. Yes, you would age normally from your reference frame... but the universe around you would live its entire existence in an instant, and would be gone.
c. No, to any observer you appear to be frozen in time for the remaining lifetime of the universe (or until you hit something).

Don't forget:
d. You'd better hope you don't hit anything.
Wink

... this is my signature!
18-03-2014, 09:50 AM
(18-03-2014 09:35 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(18-03-2014 09:24 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Based on our current knowledge:

Don't forget:
Wink

Which would be...
e. Long answer: also no.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2014, 10:02 AM
So, . . . for a theist to use the speed of expansion and "how can we even know how long it would take"?

The post was in regards to a person who was making fun of "a 6,000 year old universe"...

"With what we know about time and space, then stick in some Waves of gravity, we really have no idea what time is or what it means. If moving at the speed of light nothing ages, then does a number of years even have a meaning anymore. So with all of this in mind the best you can come up with is (idiot Christians) very sad indeed."
18-03-2014, 10:09 AM
(18-03-2014 09:50 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(18-03-2014 09:35 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Don't forget:
Wink

Which would be...
e. Long answer: also no.

What I said...

Atir aissom atir imon
18-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Best anti age cream ever

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
18-03-2014, 10:17 AM
(18-03-2014 10:02 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  So, . . . for a theist to use the speed of expansion and "how can we even know how long it would take"?

The post was in regards to a person who was making fun of "a 6,000 year old universe"...

"With what we know about time and space, then stick in some Waves of gravity, we really have no idea what time is or what it means. If moving at the speed of light nothing ages, then does a number of years even have a meaning anymore. So with all of this in mind the best you can come up with is (idiot Christians) very sad indeed."

This reveals an underlying misunderstanding of physics.

First, nothing that has mass is traveling at the speed of light through space. The things that do propagate at the speed of light have no mass.

Second, that's not how relativity works. Time only slows/stops from the perspective of the object travelling. An outside observer will still experience time "normally"

Here's a quick article about this w/rt photons.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
18-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks, itsnotmeitsyou.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post