Sperm are People, Too

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2012, 11:40 PM
RE: Sperm are People, Too
(22-04-2012 11:16 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Not my sperm. Slaves. Bible told me so. Wink
Wow... wish I had sperm.
I'd make 'em do house work. Yes

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2012, 11:45 PM
(22-04-2012 11:40 PM)kim Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 11:16 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Not my sperm. Slaves. Bible told me so. Wink
Wow... wish I had sperm.
I'd make 'em do house work. Yes
Nah, man. Your sperm would be as smart as mine - with the unions and lobbyists and shit. I mean, I kinda work for Gwyneth Paltrow for nuttin'. Tongue

Evolution sux. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-04-2012, 01:36 AM
There is an old graffiti in my town, it says (translated):

Quote: If abortion is a murder, then jerking off is a genocide!

We are all guilty for mass mass murders. Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-04-2012, 03:48 AM
(22-04-2012 07:52 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I love your insights about what ancient people thought about sperm. I didn't even give this a second thought. It may be true or not (you didn't cite a source), but it sounds accurate and out of sheer laziness I'm just going to believe it.
It was just an observation I made, mainly when having a conversation with a friend that we were talking about "seed" and it made me wonder. Although when I searched (like just now), the one of the wikipedia sites (http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semen) and even the definition of the word "sperm" seem to show a sowing-of-seeds type of root--I may have seen it before, remembered it (but forgot it) then had it popup into my thoughts later on.
23-04-2012, 04:04 AM
This reminds me of a clip I saw on youtube that says that most women are cannibals, having eaten thousands of tiny "people". I think it was on the Atheist Experience.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
23-04-2012, 04:20 AM

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
23-04-2012, 04:23 AM
(22-04-2012 09:05 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  There is no person who has the genetic make up of a sperm. just sayin.
More like 1/2 a person, minus the mitochondria.
Yeah, I know. When I'm presenting this theory, I'm doing it tongue-in-cheek --- I don't actually think that sperm are little people. I don't think it's "half" a person either, because even after joined to a female sex cell it still becomes only a cell and then a cluster of cells. While people have the "genetic make up" of a cell, no one cell is a person. In fact, "personhood" comes much later in my opinion.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
23-04-2012, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 04:58 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-04-2012 04:23 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 09:05 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  There is no person who has the genetic make up of a sperm. just sayin.
More like 1/2 a person, minus the mitochondria.

Yeah, I know. When I'm presenting this theory, I'm doing it tongue-in-cheek --- I don't actually think that sperm are little people. I don't think it's "half" a person either, because even after joined to a female sex cell it still becomes only a cell and then a cluster of cells. While people have the "genetic make up" of a cell, no one cell is a person. In fact, "personhood" comes much later in my opinion.

Cool ! I didn't know that about twins !

I had previously posted this, but I think the vid is much better.

Define "moment of conception".
a. sperm approaches egg ?
b . 1st electron of sperm cell enters electron cloud of egg cell ?
c. sperm contacts egg wall ?
d. sperm 1/2 way into egg ?
e. sperm entirely in egg ?
f. DNA of sperm contacts DNA of egg ?
g. DNA replication begins ?
h. DNA replication 0.567534521897 % complete ?
i. 1st DNA replication complete, (poof..soul enters) ?
j. 2nd DNA completes ?
k. zygote forms ?
l. zygote multiplies ?
m. zygote begins to travel ?
l. zygote approaches endometrial wall ?
m. zygote touches endometrial wall ?
n. zygote implants in endometrial wall ?

Take your pick.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Then in parallel is are the options for when something acquires consciousness:

separate sperm and egg
combined sperm and egg
2 cells, 4 cells, 16 cells, etc..
initial nerce cells
start of brain formation, and perhaps more specifically the brain stem
birth?

I cannot pretend that I know the answer as there are people much more knowledgeable on the development of human beings than I.

Its a difficult question and certainly ignorant stone/bronze age shepherds shouldn't be listened to on the subject, that much is clear in my eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
23-04-2012, 08:21 AM
It's possible God does view sperm as people. Genesis 38:10 recounts the story of an unhappy camper named Onan who, when instructed by God to impregnate his deceased brother's wife. instead chose to "spread his seed on the ground". God became pissed and struck poor Onan dead for spanking his monkey. 250,000,000 sperm were avenged.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post