Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 03:48 AM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
I'd have been trying so hard not to laugh if I was setting up the study.

"This group of people have friends who think they can ask a sky fairy to help. This group of people don't. They're receiving the same medical treatment. I wonder what will happen?"

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
12-04-2017, 03:55 AM
(12-04-2017 03:31 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 03:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I do some brain hacking with binaural beats from time to time.
Do you think it works? I've tried it (earth frequency I think it was called) in an attempt to relieve my anxiety but I'm unsure of its effects.

Do I think specific sound waves resonating in the eardrum induce specific brain waves? Of course. Why wouldn't they?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
12-04-2017, 04:04 AM
(12-04-2017 03:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 03:31 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Do you think it works? I've tried it (earth frequency I think it was called) in an attempt to relieve my anxiety but I'm unsure of its effects.

Do I think specific sound waves resonating in the eardrum induce specific brain waves? Of course. Why wouldn't they?
I don't know why they wouldn't. I'm just wondering if they can be used to relax a person. I've tried it but didn't really feel anything. Perhaps I never tried them for long enough. The frequency must have been on in the background for about an hour or more.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
12-04-2017, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 04:22 AM by GirlyMan.)
(12-04-2017 04:04 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 03:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Do I think specific sound waves resonating in the eardrum induce specific brain waves? Of course. Why wouldn't they?
I don't know why they wouldn't. I'm just wondering if they can be used to relax a person.

Again, why wouldn't they be able to?

(12-04-2017 04:04 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I've tried it but didn't really feel anything. Perhaps I never tried them for long enough. The frequency must have been on in the background for about an hour or more.

You gotta have stereo headphones or you don't get the binaural beat. Don't see the point if there's no hallucination.

You can play with them here if you want.

#sigh
12-04-2017, 04:25 AM
(12-04-2017 04:09 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't see the point if there's no hallucination.
Words to live by. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-04-2017, 04:44 AM
(12-04-2017 04:09 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 04:04 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I don't know why they wouldn't. I'm just wondering if they can be used to relax a person.

Again, why wouldn't they be able to?

(12-04-2017 04:04 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I've tried it but didn't really feel anything. Perhaps I never tried them for long enough. The frequency must have been on in the background for about an hour or more.

You gotta have stereo headphones or you don't get the binaural beat. Don't see the point if there's no hallucination.

Thanks for the link

I remember now, they were called isochronic pure tones. This one in particular:

There is something soothing about the soft repetition of the 'bump bump bump' sounds.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
12-04-2017, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 05:03 AM by Chas.)
(11-04-2017 08:42 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:34 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Pulled from the "Why I believe" thread:

Why do you suppose that when you go to the hospital, doctors give you medicine and actual treatment instead of prayers to recite? Yes, apparently you are actually the only one that questions the claim fact that science cures people more than prayer.

Science cures disease for real. Prayer makes people feel happier. Those are different things.

Please correct your source link. Every time I click it, it goes to some Christian news crap. I need it to take me to a medical or science source.

I don't submit this as proof of any claim, it is however testimonials in book form by a medical doctor. Sorry for the delay in responding: http://drelaine.com/do-you-believe-in-mi...octors-do/

Medical doctors are not, in general, scientists and are very poor at probability and statistics.
The fact that some have experiences that they cannot explain is evidence of nothing but their inability to explain.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
12-04-2017, 04:53 AM
(12-04-2017 04:44 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 04:09 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Again, why wouldn't they be able to?

Thanks for the link

I remember now, they were called isochronic pure tones. This one in particular:

There is something soothing about the soft repetition of the 'bump bump bump' sounds.

Yup. They call it brain entrainment but I call it brain entertainment.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 04:58 AM
(12-04-2017 03:02 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 02:51 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  People go to beliefs and anecdotes when there isn't any actual scientific evidence.

Do you really think that if prayer actually did anything someone wouldn't have put together a competent study by now?

If it falls to pieces under scrutiny, that just shows that all those beliefs are misguided. Everyone is vulnerable to confirmation bias.

> Actually, studies have been done. Prayer has been shown to be ineffective in bringing about changes in reality:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Prayer

Facepalm Ah respectfully perhaps this should be run by Aliza (#96), I can't believe she hasn't already jumped all over this one. Or is this another example of double standards ?
12-04-2017, 05:10 AM
(12-04-2017 04:58 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Facepalm Ah respectfully perhaps this should be run by Aliza (#96),

[Image: facepalm.gif] Disrespectfully, are you by any chance Tomasia's little (and dumber) brother? Because you seem to have reached similar levels of dumb arrogance in record time.

Equally disrespectfully, how about not telling us who and when can reply to whom and what?

[Image: facepalm.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post