Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 12:45 PM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
(12-04-2017 12:44 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 12:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Two-valued logics are so 19th century.

> The difference between me and most theists, however, is that I'm willing to entertain the idea that I might be wrong and I'm also willing to change my views in the light of new evidence. I've yet to meet a theist willing to do the same. Consider

They have a mental dis-ease. Must be something else they say. Someone to defend this place.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 12:49 PM
(12-04-2017 12:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 12:44 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > The difference between me and most theists, however, is that I'm willing to entertain the idea that I might be wrong and I'm also willing to change my views in the light of new evidence. I've yet to meet a theist willing to do the same. Consider

They have a mental dis-ease. Must be something else they say. Someone to defend this place.

> “The human race has suffered for centuries and is still suffering from the mental disorder known as religion, and atheism is the only physician that will be able to effect a permanent cure.” (Joseph Lewis) Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
12-04-2017, 01:28 PM
(12-04-2017 09:52 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Me reading this thread:

[Image: costanza-popcorn.gif]

Moms you sure have a lot of popcorn, I hope you have a big soda too so you don't get thirsty!

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
12-04-2017, 01:30 PM

> The difference between me and most theists, however, is that I'm willing to entertain the idea that I might be wrong and I'm also willing to change my views in the light of new evidence. I've yet to meet a theist willing to do the same. Consider

Yup.... I agree

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
12-04-2017, 01:35 PM

That's because many theists are infallibilists and reliabilists with regard to knowledge gained by revelation.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
12-04-2017, 01:49 PM
(12-04-2017 01:35 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 12:44 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > The difference between me and most theists, however, is that I'm willing to entertain the idea that I might be wrong and I'm also willing to change my views in the light of new evidence. I've yet to meet a theist willing to do the same. Consider

That's because many theists are infallibilists and reliabilists with regard to knowledge gained by revelation.

I think it's because they're nuts.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-04-2017, 01:54 PM
(12-04-2017 12:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 11:38 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I think I'll be a pussy with a job, rather than a brave man without employment. Tongue

Get tenure first and then do it. Tongue

Not here Girly. Tongue Latest arguing between system legal and the faculty is the new post tenure review process where they want the ability to fire tenured faculty members, even those with good evaluations, if they believe there is nebulously defined 'just cause'. In fact another university in the system just did exactly that to a tenured Associate Professor.

(12-04-2017 01:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 01:35 PM)Naielis Wrote:  That's because many theists are infallibilists and reliabilists with regard to knowledge gained by revelation.

I think it's because they're nuts.

I've claimed perfect sanity? Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
12-04-2017, 01:56 PM
(12-04-2017 01:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 01:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  I think it's because they're nuts.

I've claimed perfect sanity? Tongue

Hey! When we're over here generalizing and you specifically jump up like that, that makes you a troll. Angry

Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-04-2017, 01:59 PM
(12-04-2017 01:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 12:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Get tenure first and then do it. Tongue

Not here Girly. Tongue Latest arguing between system legal and the faculty is the new post tenure review process where they want the ability to fire tenured faculty members, even those with good evaluations, if they believe there is nebulously defined 'just cause'. In fact another university in the system just did exactly that to a tenured Associate Professor.

I hope to God that's not a public university system you're describing.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-04-2017, 02:12 PM
(12-04-2017 01:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 01:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I've claimed perfect sanity? Tongue

Hey! When we're over here generalizing and you specifically jump up like that, that makes you a troll. Angry

Big Grin

Nah not trying to troll, just reacting to a generalization in a way that hopefully gives a few folks a chuckle. Smile

(12-04-2017 01:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 01:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Not here Girly. Tongue Latest arguing between system legal and the faculty is the new post tenure review process where they want the ability to fire tenured faculty members, even those with good evaluations, if they believe there is nebulously defined 'just cause'. In fact another university in the system just did exactly that to a tenured Associate Professor.

I hope to God that's not a public university system you're describing.
It is. In the land of beer, sausage, and cheese.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post