Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 06:20 AM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
(11-04-2017 06:06 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:00 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  /subscribed

Hello SeaJay good to see you
You too

Thanks for creating this thread, it should be interesting.

Do you want to post again the main thrust of the topic you began in the other thread, was there anything in particular?

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
11-04-2017, 06:38 AM
They're forming a beachhead! Gasp

Fire up the howitzer! Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 06:48 AM
(11-04-2017 06:38 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  They're forming a beachhead! Gasp

Fire up the howitzer! Tongue
I suggest airstrikes with napalm. Drinking Beverage Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
11-04-2017, 06:51 AM
I think the particular had branched out to several directions including prayer/medicine and justification of beliefs and the question of standards for those justifications. I thing even with the different lines of thought though they all in a way tie back to your original post about the fear of hell, for me at least.
11-04-2017, 06:59 AM
You could try the hell experiment, although it made me totally insane...

That's a warning btw. Wink

Get all warm and fluffy and faithful (I call that high on my Gwynnies, perhaps the spirit of Jesus gets you similarly spun up; mental preparation is key.)

Go up to some random Christians and go -

I will burn in hell for you.

(I used the mathematical chicanery of the plural you here to mean the person in front of me plus my Gwynnies, thus not lying and keeping the faith)

And see what happens. Wink

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 07:27 AM
(10-04-2017 08:22 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 07:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Are you and SeaJay a couple?

No, we're not a couple but I am a couple with my beautiful wife who I am blessed to share life together.

Ugh. I hate when Christians say they're blessed for this, or blessed for that. Why do you guys do that? It's weird, and it's doubly weird to say on an atheist forum. Speaking strictly for myself here, it actually makes me feel uncomfortable because it tells me how little the Christian in question (in this case you) knows about the world and the culture of the people around them.
[+] 13 users Like Aliza's post
11-04-2017, 07:34 AM
(11-04-2017 07:27 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:22 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No, we're not a couple but I am a couple with my beautiful wife who I am blessed to share life together.

Ugh. I hate when Christians say they're blessed for this, or blessed for that. Why do you guys do that? It's weird, and it's doubly weird to say on an atheist forum. Speaking strictly for myself here, it actually makes me feel uncomfortable because it tells me how little the Christian in question (in this case you) knows about the world and the culture of the people around them.

They appropriated the persecution culture from the Jewish. Dodgy

living word
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 07:38 AM by Vera.)
Aliza, leaving aside the pass-me-the-vomit-bag levels of mush (in this case), I am absolutely with you. It's beyond dumb. And beyond revolting when they're talking about a tragedy they survived - yeah, you were personally "blessed"... unlike all those losers who lost their lives 'cause they totally weren't as deserving as I.

It's on a par with the idea of guardian angels. The sheer degree of selfish arrogance ("I'm so special, there's someone in charge specifically of my precious, precious self") boggles the mind to dizzying levels Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
11-04-2017, 07:35 AM
(11-04-2017 07:27 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:22 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No, we're not a couple but I am a couple with my beautiful wife who I am blessed to share life together.

Good morning, Aliza. I count it as a blessing not to be a fundy Christian. Thank gawd for that!

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post