Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 08:09 AM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
(13-04-2017 07:56 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  It would go a long way in integrating into the community if you were to answer sincere questions honestly.

Hooonesty is such a lonely word... Drinking Beverage

All he wants is something to believe... and for everyone to agree with it. As if that would magically make it true. Even if the whole world believed something false, that won't make it any less untrue. But I guess the weak-minded really do think there is strength in numbers in cases like this Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
13-04-2017, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 08:20 AM by Yogi_Bear.)
(12-04-2017 05:28 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 09:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The only people who care why they believe are themselves, and they can't convince themselves believing makes any sense.

Actually, I've been fascinated by the psychology of belief for most of my adult life.
It's one of the main reasons I hang around forums like this. Yes

Kudos to you for stating my reasons for joining here even better than I did in my introduction thread. I'm still dizzy at all the warm welcomes I received at joining. I was thinking then hey these are some ok folks. Today I have to say that for the most part, party from reading between the lines, that hey these are so ok folks. I truly feel that yes - disagreement is not hate
13-04-2017, 08:28 AM
(13-04-2017 08:16 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 05:28 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Actually, I've been fascinated by the psychology of belief for most of my adult life.

Kudos to you for stating my reasons for joining here even better than I did in my introduction thread. I'm still dizzy at all the warm welcomes I received at joining. I was thinking then hey these are some ok folks. Today I have to say that for the most part, party from reading between the lines, that hey these are so ok folks. I truly feel that yes

I find some of your arguments somewhat frustrating and evasive but I think as a person you're all right. Yes Chillax, get to know us and integrate and I'm convinced folks will come round and not be quite as acerbic towards you, the other theists have already indicated ways you can fit in successfully without you having to necessarily compromise your belief system. Hang on in there mate. Smile
13-04-2017, 09:23 AM
(13-04-2017 08:28 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 08:16 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Kudos to you for stating my reasons for joining here even better than I did in my introduction thread. I'm still dizzy at all the warm welcomes I received at joining. I was thinking then hey these are some ok folks. Today I have to say that for the most part, party from reading between the lines, that hey these are so ok folks. I truly feel that yes

I find some of your arguments somewhat frustrating and evasive but I think as a person you're all right. Yes Chillax, get to know us and integrate and I'm convinced folks will come round and not be quite as acerbic towards you, the other theists have already indicated ways you can fit in successfully without you having to necessarily compromise your belief system. Hang on in there mate. Smile
Thank you for the advice and the encouragement
[+] 1 user Likes Yogi_Bear's post
13-04-2017, 09:51 AM
(13-04-2017 08:16 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 05:28 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Actually, I've been fascinated by the psychology of belief for most of my adult life.

Kudos to you for stating my reasons for joining here even better than I did in my introduction thread. I'm still dizzy at all the warm welcomes I received at joining. I was thinking then hey these are some ok folks. Today I have to say that for the most part, party from reading between the lines, that hey these are so ok folks. I truly feel that yes - disagreement is not hate

Once again, this is our playground. Yes, you'll be pushed to the back of line while waiting what you believe is patiently for the swings, but we see you fidgeting and tapping your foot that gives you away.

You can either go cry to the teacher about the unfair kids (much like you've been doing), or you can actually try, in a meaningful way, answering questions put to you.

Here's the problem that you and many other theist types have, the belief that we don't get religious types here all the freaking time. We do -- and many of us are quite exhausted from the same fucking arguments all the fucking time. But we have to keep knocking down those silly drab arguments until you and those like you, finally learn they are without meaning.

It's rather like that fundamentalist, believing the world is 6000 years old and proclaims loudly, "if evolution were true and we came from monkeys why are there still monkeys?"

That's the sort of thing that sounds like a funny little "gotcha" moment someone heard and repeated assuming it was true, until you actually think about it and realize how fucking wrong it is and how dumb it makes you look to actually suggest it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-04-2017, 11:15 AM
What mom said.
13-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Thought you were going to change your username, the name Yogi is far better Imo.
13-04-2017, 11:55 AM
(13-04-2017 09:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 08:16 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Kudos to you for stating my reasons for joining here even better than I did in my introduction thread. I'm still dizzy at all the warm welcomes I received at joining. I was thinking then hey these are some ok folks. Today I have to say that for the most part, party from reading between the lines, that hey these are so ok folks. I truly feel that yes - disagreement is not hate

Once again, this is our playground. Yes, you'll be pushed to the back of line while waiting what you believe is patiently for the swings, but we see you fidgeting and tapping your foot that gives you away.

You can either go cry to the teacher about the unfair kids (much like you've been doing), or you can actually try, in a meaningful way, answering questions put to you.

Here's the problem that you and many other theist types have, the belief that we don't get religious types here all the freaking time. We do -- and many of us are quite exhausted from the same fucking arguments all the fucking time. But we have to keep knocking down those silly drab arguments until you and those like you, finally learn they are without meaning.

It's rather like that fundamentalist, believing the world is 6000 years old and proclaims loudly, "if evolution were true and we came from monkeys why are there still monkeys?"

That's the sort of thing that sounds like a funny little "gotcha" moment someone heard and repeated assuming it was true, until you actually think about it and realize how fucking wrong it is and how dumb it makes you look to actually suggest it.

As a youngster my dad was fond of saying "son, the lord gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason, you need to be listening twice as much as talking", that said and yielding to your wise counsel and that of Aliza, The Organic Chemist, morondog, adey67 and others I concede a few days breather, by following the advice given, is well heeded. My dad always said I sure was hard headed sometimes. Yes With that I wish everyone a wonderful weekend and perhaps in a few days a wiser and humbler ATT would again be welcomed to, as Aliza admonished, discuss religion and beliefs with the goal to understand and inform when requested. Respectfully, ATT
[+] 4 users Like Yogi_Bear's post
13-04-2017, 11:56 AM
(10-04-2017 07:48 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  This thread is started per the request of SeaJay and others and as yet there were several posts presented there which time did not allow a response, please copy and paste any post from there that anyone would wish to continue. I will respond to those as time permits. I acknowledge the suggestions posted toward the end of the original post and thank everyone for their patience with the newbie

PS: Paleophyte,, chocolate is always a favorite in its many forms but when it comes to milkshakes a butterscotch malt tops the list, briefs here over boxers and 39 light years from here makes my head hurt to comprehend such a distance. Our universe is grand indeed isn't it

Since you are taking over for SeaJay and his original thread was about why he believes, I'd like to pose a question to you about what you believe.

How can we reliably distinguish between what you believe about what you call a god, and something that is merely imaginary? When you or another theist tell me about your god that you believe in, I know for certain that I must use my imagination in order to consider it. As far as I can tell, gods are indistinguishable from the imaginary. Something which is indistinguishable from something that is imaginary is imaginary.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
13-04-2017, 12:03 PM
(13-04-2017 11:36 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Thought you were going to change your username, the name Yogi is far better Imo.

I agree but lacking the detains required I do ask momsurrondedbyboys to change my user name to Yogi_Bear or some similar variation, if already used, and I give my thanks in advance