Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 01:26 PM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
(15-04-2017 01:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 12:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yin and yang. I'm telling you Alla, Mormons are Buddhists. Big Grin

Called it. Big Grin

How Mormons Are Buddhists & Vice Versa

Girly 1, Mormonism 0

"Thus, one could say that to the extent the principles of Mormonism overlap with the principles of Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, or other religious faiths, one could say that a Mormon is a Buddhist, a Hindu, or a Taoist, and vice versa."

Based on this Mormons might as well fold up their tent and stop pretending to being a religion. Of course that won't happen because of the Almighty God 501 (c )3, praise be unto him.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
15-04-2017, 01:30 PM
(15-04-2017 01:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 01:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Called it. Big Grin

How Mormons Are Buddhists & Vice Versa

Girly 1, Mormonism 0

"Thus, one could say that to the extent the principles of Mormonism overlap with the principles of Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, or other religious faiths, one could say that a Mormon is a Buddhist, a Hindu, or a Taoist, and vice versa."

Based on this Mormons might as well fold up their tent and stop pretending to being a religion. Of course that won't happen because of the Almighty God 501 (c )3, praise be unto him.

My little brother would suggest that all religions are the same (he's kinda got this... um.... universalism thing goin on if that makes sense meh, I really got no problem with it. He's far more sane than anyone else in my fucking family)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 01:47 PM
(15-04-2017 01:30 PM)JesseB Wrote:  My little brother would suggest that all religions are the same (he's kinda got this... um.... universalism thing goin on if that makes sense meh, I really got no problem with it. He's far more sane than anyone else in my fucking family)

Tell him about Campbell. (pbuh) Smile

"Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble." - Joseph Campbell

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 01:52 PM
(15-04-2017 01:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble." - Joseph Campbell

Sounds like a smart dude. As in "Don't tell the idiots it's a load of shit, you'll just enrage them" smart.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
15-04-2017, 02:01 PM
“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.” - Joseph Campbell

(18-02-2017 05:04 AM)Vera Wrote:  “Could God exist if nobody else did? No. That’s why gods are very avid for worshipers. If there is nobody to worship them, there are no gods. There are as many gods as there are people thinking about God. When Mrs. Mulligan and the Pope are thinking about God, it is not the same God.

In choosing your god, you choose your way of looking at the universe. There are plenty of Gods. Choose yours.

The god you worship is the god you deserve.”

Joseph Campbell

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
15-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Did we cover yet that different gods in different religions "answer" prayers, even though they can't all exist?

Clearly that shows that entire religions full of people can be fooled by confirmation bias.

How does this shit not worry people? I'm sure that if I was indoctrinated, it would have been the "other religion" thing that would have knocked it all loose.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
15-04-2017, 02:22 PM
(15-04-2017 02:01 PM)Vera Wrote:  “All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.” - Joseph Campbell

(18-02-2017 05:04 AM)Vera Wrote:  “Could God exist if nobody else did? No. That’s why gods are very avid for worshipers. If there is nobody to worship them, there are no gods. There are as many gods as there are people thinking about God. When Mrs. Mulligan and the Pope are thinking about God, it is not the same God.

In choosing your god, you choose your way of looking at the universe. There are plenty of Gods. Choose yours.

The god you worship is the god you deserve.”

Joseph Campbell

[Image: gwynnie_zpsm0kvicev.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 02:24 PM
(15-04-2017 02:17 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'm sure that if I was indoctrinated, it would have been the "other religion" thing that would have knocked it all loose.
Played a huge part in my deconversion, Rob. The mere fact that there were so many religions and they couldn't all be true (tried playing the card "it's basically the same god, just different names"... didn't really work) and even moreso, the thought that if only *one* of them was true, so many people were doomed to eternal damnation simply because they weren't born in the right place... let's just say didn't sit right with me. Like, at all. The sheer injustice of it all was more that I could bear (and that while still thinking *mine* was kinda the right one)

Nu-huh, Girly. Her levels of goopy-loopiness are near-lethal. No offence, Johnny Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
15-04-2017, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 02:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-04-2017 02:17 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Did we cover yet that different gods in different religions "answer" prayers, even though they can't all exist?

They can be integrated. God is the limit of the integral. As JohhnyC approaches zero, God goes to [Image: gwynnie_zpss6n4wr9e.jpg]

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 02:39 PM
(15-04-2017 02:24 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 02:17 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'm sure that if I was indoctrinated, it would have been the "other religion" thing that would have knocked it all loose.
Played a huge part in my deconversion, Rob. The mere fact that there were so many religions and they couldn't all be true (tried playing the card "it's basically the same god, just different names"... didn't really work) and even moreso, the thought that if only *one* of them was true, so many people were doomed to eternal damnation simply because they weren't born in the right place... let's just say didn't sit right with me. Like, at all. The sheer injustice of it all was more that I could bear (and that while still thinking *mine* was kinda the right one)

Nu-huh, Girly. Her levels of goopy-loopiness are near-lethal. No offence, Johnny Drinking Beverage

Thanks for sharing Heart It seems like a huge clue to those of a sceptical nature.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post