Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 07:49 AM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
(11-04-2017 07:27 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:22 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No, we're not a couple but I am a couple with my beautiful wife who I am blessed to share life together.

Ugh. I hate when Christians say they're blessed for this, or blessed for that. Why do you guys do that? It's weird, and it's doubly weird to say on an atheist forum. Speaking strictly for myself here, it actually makes me feel uncomfortable because it tells me how little the Christian in question (in this case you) knows about the world and the culture of the people around them.

That position is logical and understandable on the basis of what you hold to be true. At the same time for the Christian acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children is also logical and understandable.

Just some food for thought about the Ugh: Supose someone said Ugh people in same sex relationships is weird and makes me uncomfortable, would they be considered bigoted for feeling that way?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 07:57 AM
(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:27 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Ugh. I hate when Christians say they're blessed for this, or blessed for that. Why do you guys do that? It's weird, and it's doubly weird to say on an atheist forum. Speaking strictly for myself here, it actually makes me feel uncomfortable because it tells me how little the Christian in question (in this case you) knows about the world and the culture of the people around them.

That position is logical and understandable on the basis of what you hold to be true. At the same time for the Christian acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children is also logical and understandable.

Just some food for thought about the Ugh: Supose someone said Ugh people in same sex relationships is weird and makes me uncomfortable, would they be considered bigoted for feeling that way?

You're on their turf.

Ugh, I hate when Christians come to atheist forums and try to tell the locals what's what.
[+] 7 users Like Aliza's post
11-04-2017, 08:18 AM
(11-04-2017 07:57 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  That position is logical and understandable on the basis of what you hold to be true. At the same time for the Christian acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children is also logical and understandable.

You're on their turf.

Ugh, I hate when Christians come to atheist forums and try to tell the locals what's what.

I agree it is their turf but it is stated the forum is open to everyone. As to what's what I was simply responding to others post. Isn't that how people share differing ideas?
[+] 1 user Likes Yogi_Bear's post
11-04-2017, 08:38 AM
(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  That position is logical and understandable on the basis of what you hold to be true.

It is not logical.

Every dead child is proof that your god does not answer prayers.

What you hold to be true is meaningless unless you can prove it to be true.

(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  At the same time for the Christian acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children is also logical and understandable.

[Image: thanks-J_zpslnxu0wvt.jpg]

Too bad he doesn't bless them all equally.
Or maybe those starving children just didn't have enough faith.
Or maybe they had faith in the wrong god.

(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Just some food for thought about the Ugh: Supose someone said Ugh people in same sex relationships is weird and makes me uncomfortable, would they be considered bigoted for feeling that way?

More food for thought: How long would an atheist be allowed to post on a christian forum before being banned?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 9 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Popcorn

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Oh what a blessing to have the capacity to thank god for our very ability to be thankful.

Do they teach you guys how to suck up to god in bible school? What's it called, sycophantry?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 7 users Like whateverist's post
11-04-2017, 08:44 AM
(11-04-2017 08:18 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:57 AM)Aliza Wrote:  You're on their turf.

I agree it is their turf but it is stated the forum is open to everyone. As to what's what I was simply responding to others post. Isn't that how people share differing ideas?

Yes, it's an open forum. I'm sharing with you that your expressions of blessings may make others uncomfortable. It certainly makes me uncomfortable. It also may potentially alienate others and automatically align them against you and the ideas you're trying to share.
11-04-2017, 08:45 AM
(11-04-2017 08:18 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:57 AM)Aliza Wrote:  You're on their turf.

Yes it is, many religious types though insist on their right to be here and post whatever nonsense they believe. They make up what they think are clever usernames to mock the ideals of this forum. Then seem surprised when their great ideas are met with hostility.

Word of warning, you shit the rug, you will be gone.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 12 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-04-2017, 08:45 AM
(11-04-2017 07:57 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  That position is logical and understandable on the basis of what you hold to be true. At the same time for the Christian acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children is also logical and understandable.

You're on their turf.

My favorite is when they explain what my being an atheist means. Mere lack of belief will rarely do. Some require that you hold the positive belief that God (their god) does not exist. Some insist it means you hate god.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 6 users Like whateverist's post
11-04-2017, 08:47 AM
(11-04-2017 08:38 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  That position is logical and understandable on the basis of what you hold to be true.

It is not logical.

Every dead child is proof that your god does not answer prayers.

What you hold to be true is meaningless unless you can prove it to be true.

(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  At the same time for the Christian acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children is also logical and understandable.

[Image: thanks-J_zpslnxu0wvt.jpg]

Too bad he doesn't bless them all equally.
Or maybe those starving children just didn't have enough faith.
Or maybe they had faith in the wrong god.

(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Just some food for thought about the Ugh: Supose someone said Ugh people in same sex relationships is weird and makes me uncomfortable, would they be considered bigoted for feeling that way?

More food for thought: How long would an atheist be allowed to post on a Christian forum before being banned?

> That last question is the most intelligent one I've seen posted all day. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post