Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 12:19 PM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
SeaJay Wrote:Not sure what you are saying here because the bible says God created evil
I am surprised you are saying this.

SeaJay Wrote:Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
I checked the above and it is in the Hebrew too.
If you were LDS for 10 years you know LDS believe that the Bible is the word of God as far as it is translated correctly.

According to Isaiah God formed light and created its OPPOSITION darkness.
Opposition of peace is sorrow or trouble. Catholic Bible translation makes more sense: I form the light, and create the darkness, I make well-being and create woe."
The idea that the Lord is author of peace , but that he also sends judgments upon the wicked who are ripe in iniquity.
Wicked destroy each other in wars. It is under direction of God.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2017, 12:22 PM
SeaJay Wrote:You are a Latter Day Saint
Yes, I am.

SeaJay Wrote:I was LDS for 10 years
Hi, brother

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
16-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Gwaithmir Wrote:> Faith is the abnegation of rational thinking.
This is not how I define word "faith". To me "faith" means something very different.

Gwaithmir Wrote:What evidence do you have that the Holy Ghost exists and has any influence on scripture?
I believe that the Holy Ghost exists because of the influence He has on me. My personal testimony is foundation of my faith. When my personal testimony is growing my faith is growing.

Gwaithmir Wrote:> Consider the following:
"And they shall stand in despair before the white cliffs of the world, and shall chant from their empty tomes in vain, for their words are nothing! And Erú shall prevail against His enemies and they shall be cast into the Void, for their enchantments are naught and their gods are helpless before Him." (The Silmarillion, 17:82)
Why should I consider this?

Gwaithmir Wrote:> And you still have not resolved the problem of evil.
I am not sure what you are saying. I was not trying to solve problem of evil. I only shared my belief that problem of evil exists from eternity to eternity. Problem of evil can be solved in some parts of the reality. Evil can have relative beginning and relative end but it has no absolute beginning and no absolute end.
There are no such things as absolute beginning and absolute end. But there are many relative beginnings and many relative ends.

16-04-2017, 12:50 PM
(16-04-2017 10:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Samuel Jackson is such a great actor. One of the best in the world.

16-04-2017, 12:50 PM
(16-04-2017 12:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  
SeaJay Wrote:Not sure what you are saying here because the bible says God created evil
I am surprised you are saying this.
But that is what the bible says

SeaJay Wrote:Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
I checked the above and it is in the Hebrew too.
(16-04-2017 12:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  If you were LDS for 10 years you know LDS believe that the Bible is the word of God as far as it is translated correctly.
The original Hebrew also says 'evil'. The Judeans know their bible, their history, and if I'm not mistaken, aren't they very meticulous when it comes to writing down their letters?

Sorry Alla but I can only comment on the words that I read on a page. Saying 'in as far as it is translated correctly' allows a person free reign to accept or reject anything that does not conform to what a person wants to believe. I can't argue against that because it is unfalsifiable. This wins any debate not because of superior reasoning but because the reasoning is so flawed and vague, as to have no real substance to which a person might address it.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
16-04-2017, 12:53 PM
(16-04-2017 12:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  If you were LDS for 10 years you know LDS believe that the Bible is the word of God as far as it is translated correctly.

As translated by a convicted con artist.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
16-04-2017, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2017 01:03 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-04-2017 12:42 PM)Alla Wrote:  There are no such things as absolute beginning and absolute end. But there are many relative beginnings and many relative ends.

That's curious. Eternal recurrence? Oscillating universe? Sum of sine waves? How many of these ideas that you're sharing are LDS doctrine or LDS-derived and how many are Allaborations? Are they all derived from LDS doctrine? I find many of them interesting. How much of it is -
(16-04-2017 03:53 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  She's very much her own thing. Tongue

Smile

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-04-2017, 01:05 PM
(16-04-2017 12:42 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Gwaithmir Wrote:> Faith is the abnegation of rational thinking.
This is not how I define word "faith". To me "faith" means something very different.

Put more simply, (religious) faith is commonly defined as belief without evidence.

(16-04-2017 12:42 PM)Alla Wrote:  I believe that the Holy Ghost exists because of the influence He has on me. My personal testimony is foundation of my faith. When my personal testimony is growing my faith is growing.

I think that any alleged evidence from personal "testimony"—as a public recounting of a religious experience—is very thin on the ground. And with due respect Alla, it could be that your testimony is nothing more than delusional thinking, or confirmatory bias or maybe illusory correlation.

In fact, I'd be interested to know what your "personal testimony" amounts to in its objective, non-abstract form.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
16-04-2017, 01:24 PM
(15-04-2017 06:32 PM)Alla Wrote:  This is what I believe:
God prevents evil only when evil interferes with His plan.

Isn't that just a cop out for all the shitty things that happen?

Like a four year old dying of cancer -- it's part of god's plan because otherwise it wouldn't have happened?

It's like in order to know there's nothing beyond this life, you have really take a dirt nap. Then obviously you also can't say...wait...stop...don't bother there are no gods at all. Which, in turn probably leads to circular idea of Pascal's wager.

Although the Catholics do sort of have an answer for that. Still it's not that encouraging.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-04-2017, 01:38 PM
GirlyMan Wrote:How many of these ideas that you're sharing are LDS doctrine or LDS-derived and how many are Allaborations? Are they all derived from LDS doctrine? I find many of them interesting. How much of it is -
What I shared in this post about evil and beginnings and ends is 100 % LDS Doctrine. When something is Allaboration I say that I speculate but my speculation is based on LDS Doctrine.