Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 08:49 AM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
(11-04-2017 08:45 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Some require that you hold the positive belief that God (their god) does not exist. Some insist it means you hate god.

What's funny is when they hold to both of those positions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
11-04-2017, 08:56 AM
(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:27 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Ugh. I hate when Christians say they're blessed for this, or blessed for that. Why do you guys do that? It's weird, and it's doubly weird to say on an atheist forum. Speaking strictly for myself here, it actually makes me feel uncomfortable because it tells me how little the Christian in question (in this case you) knows about the world and the culture of the people around them.

That position is logical and understandable on the basis of what you hold to be true. At the same time for the Christian acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children is also logical and understandable.

Just some food for thought about the Ugh: Supose someone said Ugh people in same sex relationships is weird and makes me uncomfortable, would they be considered bigoted for feeling that way?

(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ....acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children
Except of course, when the child dies a miserable death. Or when he drowns 175,000 in a tsunami. Yeah, not so much blessing going on there.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-04-2017, 09:03 AM
(11-04-2017 08:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:18 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I agree it is their turf but it is stated the forum is open to everyone. As to what's what I was simply responding to others post. Isn't that how people share differing ideas?

Yes it is, many religious types though insist on their right to be here and post whatever nonsense they believe. They make up what they think are clever usernames to mock the ideals of this forum. Then seem surprised when their great ideas are met with hostility.

Word of warning, you shit the rug, you will be gone.

Does it still count if he uses a poop bag ? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
11-04-2017, 09:10 AM
(11-04-2017 08:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:18 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I agree it is their turf but it is stated the forum is open to everyone. As to what's what I was simply responding to others post. Isn't that how people share differing ideas?

Yes it is, many religious types though insist on their right to be here and post whatever nonsense they believe. They make up what they think are clever usernames to mock the ideals of this forum. Then seem surprised when their great ideas are met with hostility.

Word of warning, you shit the rug, you will be gone.

> Mom, lock phasers on target and prepare to fire. Yes
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
11-04-2017, 09:28 AM
(11-04-2017 08:45 AM)whateverist Wrote:  My favorite is when they explain what my being an atheist means. Mere lack of belief will rarely do. Some require that you hold the positive belief that God (their god) does not exist. Some insist it means you hate god.

It's hilarious. 90% of the time they claim it's because the atheist just wants to "rebel against god/doesn't want to follow/wants to sin"; as if we all really believe he's real but he's just a big doody head.

And what they don't realize is how much they are projecting when they make all these claims, and are merely saying all that to try to make themselves feel better about their won beliefs.
[+] 3 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
11-04-2017, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 09:32 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
(10-04-2017 08:35 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Thank you for the positive The Organic Chemist, at this point I guess you take 'em any way you can get 'emYes

No, thank you, dude. I had a great laugh at you seeming to think you had a gotcha but didn't realize that FSM and the unicorn are both made up to illustrate the ridiculous position of theism. Thumbsup

Also, a piece of advice: stay out of Moms' sock drawer. You will be infected with a cock pimple if you go there. Big Grin

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 7 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
11-04-2017, 11:04 AM
(11-04-2017 08:43 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Oh what a blessing to have the capacity to thank god for our very ability to be thankful.

Do they teach you guys how to suck up to god in bible school? What's it called, sycophantry?

Well not having been to every bible school I can't speak for what was taught there, but at the bible school I attended I was taught to treat others the way you would want them to treat you and even to do good to those who hate you. And no I'm not blameless but I strive to follow those teachings.
11-04-2017, 11:18 AM
(11-04-2017 11:04 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:43 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Oh what a blessing to have the capacity to thank god for our very ability to be thankful.

Do they teach you guys how to suck up to god in bible school? What's it called, sycophantry?

Well not having been to every bible school I can't speak for what was taught there, but at the bible school I attended I was taught to treat others the way you would want them to treat you and even to do good to those who hate you. And no I'm not blameless but I strive to follow those teachings.

How do you justify that? In general, the god, as laid out in the bible treats people routinely like crap. That god certainly didn't practice anything he allegedly taught.

Why is that that a deity would have such petty human qualities? Why would a deity demand that you believe in him/her/it? Could it possibly be that this deity wasn't a deity at all but created by men to control others?

It's pretty convenient that the only way you'll actually find out is when you're dead and then you can't tell anyone to not bother...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-04-2017, 11:45 AM
(11-04-2017 08:56 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  That position is logical and understandable on the basis of what you hold to be true. At the same time for the Christian acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children is also logical and understandable.

Just some food for thought about the Ugh: Supose someone said Ugh people in same sex relationships is weird and makes me uncomfortable, would they be considered bigoted for feeling that way?

(11-04-2017 07:49 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ....acknowledgeing that God does indeed bless His children
Except of course, when the child dies a miserable death. Or when he drowns 175,000 in a tsunami. Yeah, not so much blessing going on there.

A blessing in disguise? Maybe you have to believe before he'll save kids. Maybe god's a dick like that.
11-04-2017, 11:47 AM
(11-04-2017 11:04 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  

Another bit of moralizing that was not original with the bible. God was a bit slow on the uptake, I guess.