Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 12:12 PM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
(11-04-2017 11:04 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:43 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Oh what a blessing to have the capacity to thank god for our very ability to be thankful.

Do they teach you guys how to suck up to god in bible school? What's it called, sycophantry?

Well not having been to every bible school I can't speak for what was taught there, but at the bible school I attended I was taught to treat others the way you would want them to treat you and even to do good to those who hate you. And no I'm not blameless but I strive to follow those teachings.

See, I'd appreciate that and commend you if I could get it out of my head that you are just working hard to earn brownie points and a good after-life outcome. Sorry.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
11-04-2017, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 12:42 PM by adey67.)
(11-04-2017 11:04 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:43 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Oh what a blessing to have the capacity to thank god for our very ability to be thankful.

Do they teach you guys how to suck up to god in bible school? What's it called, sycophantry?

Well not having been to every bible school I can't speak for what was taught there, but at the bible school I attended I was taught to treat others the way you would want them to treat you and even to do good to those who hate you. And no I'm not blameless but I strive to follow those teachings.

Double post, sorry.
11-04-2017, 12:19 PM
(11-04-2017 12:15 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 11:04 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well not having been to every bible school I can't speak for what was taught there, but at the bible school I attended I was taught to treat others the way you would want them to treat you and even to do good to those who hate you. And no I'm not blameless but I strive to follow those teachings.

I do not require a sky daddy to adhere to these principles and to be honest if anyone does then I actually question that persons moral compass, not talking about you specifically as I don't know you although I do have issues with your username as it seems kinda smartass and passive aggressive and to be honest deliberately provocative. There are trolls and assholes, proselytisers and genuine religious folks respectful of our decisions to lead a secular life who respect and understand and accept our choices and just want to hang out because they realise we are all part of the human family I sincerely hope you are the latter but tbh I have doubts I suspect you are the second option and also believe you think you can disarm us with charm and are using politeness as both a defense and a weapon, I hope you prove me wrong.
11-04-2017, 12:20 PM
The OP seems to have lost the desire for discussion... Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
11-04-2017, 12:31 PM
(11-04-2017 12:20 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The OP seems to have lost the desire for discussion... Drinking Beverage

Discussing things with people who think for themselves is hard!
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
11-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Pulled from the "Why I believe" thread:

(10-04-2017 06:47 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 11:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  At the same time, somehow in science there's an objective standard and a consensus is arrived at - apart from the odd maverick who may up-end the whole apple cart with a new, more powerful idea, much to everyone's delight, yet in religion everyone has their own truth, and that truth is precious and may not be challenged - there's no consensus and heretics who believe something else are to be feared, not celebrated.

Religion is built on the idea of protecting some stupid idea. Science is built around tearing down stuff that doesn't work. As much as religion would love to be able to claim the same effectiveness as science, we cure more people wholesale in a week than have been cured by prayer in the last several thousand years.
Facepalm It's apparent the more one applies thoughtful consideration of what's being stated the more sees double standards to posit one's view. I feel confident if I stated that prayer cures people I would be bombarded with challenges to prove the claim and statements saying the effects of prayer are unfalsifiable yet am I the only one that questions the above claim? Again Facepalm
Food for thought are these results of a poll of doctors: Perhaps the most surprising result of the survey,” the report notes, “is that a majority of doctors (55 percent) said that they have seen treatment results in their patients that they would consider miraculous (45 percent do not).
Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2004/12/28152/#sfz...Res7K6m.99

Why do you suppose that when you go to the hospital, doctors give you medicine and actual treatment instead of prayers to recite? Yes, apparently you are actually the only one that questions the claim fact that science cures people more than prayer.

Science cures disease for real. Prayer makes people feel happier. Those are different things.

(10-04-2017 06:47 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2004/12/28152/#sfz...Res7K6m.99

Please correct your source link. Every time I click it, it goes to some Christian news crap. I need it to take me to a medical or science source.
[+] 10 users Like Aliza's post
11-04-2017, 12:39 PM
(11-04-2017 11:04 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ... I was taught to treat others the way you would want them to treat you and even to do good to those who hate you. ....

Why did/do you accept this doctrine?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
11-04-2017, 02:24 PM
(11-04-2017 12:34 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Pulled from the "Why I believe" thread:

(10-04-2017 06:47 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Facepalm It's apparent the more one applies thoughtful consideration of what's being stated the more sees double standards to posit one's view. I feel confident if I stated that prayer cures people I would be bombarded with challenges to prove the claim and statements saying the effects of prayer are unfalsifiable yet am I the only one that questions the above claim? Again Facepalm
Food for thought are these results of a poll of doctors: Perhaps the most surprising result of the survey,” the report notes, “is that a majority of doctors (55 percent) said that they have seen treatment results in their patients that they would consider miraculous (45 percent do not).
Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2004/12/28152/#sfz...Res7K6m.99

Why do you suppose that when you go to the hospital, doctors give you medicine and actual treatment instead of prayers to recite? Yes, apparently you are actually the only one that questions the claim fact that science cures people more than prayer.

Science cures disease for real. Prayer makes people feel happier. Those are different things.

(10-04-2017 06:47 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2004/12/28152/#sfz...Res7K6m.99

Please correct your source link. Every time I click it, it goes to some Christian news crap. I need it to take me to a medical or science source.

Y'all know it's bad when other theists (although to call Aliza other theists is to do her a disservice, she's a lot more fun than just that) start slating you Big Grin Using your own words no less Tongue

Laugh out load

Dear ATT Smile You irritate me. Hence I try to get under your skin. It seems I succeeded. No doubt you also succeeded in getting under my skin. There's very little that grates me these days about nitwits, but that crack about double standards really did. Mainly because it's so fucking bullshit.

Be brave enough to actually defend your faith, or to concede. You find yourself in a position of affirming that your God can, if he so chooses cure disease. Literally *all* you were asked to do was provide some justification for that. Alternatively, you are free to state that you never said that and do not believe that your God can cure anything. In which case we have no beef and you can go your merry way, believing in your useless God.

All this business of trying to pretend there's a problem with me for asking the question is transparently obvious as you running away from answering.

PS: I'm sorry if I've gotten you on the naughty list. I prefer to torture our chew toys, rather than ban them, personally. Which is inconsistent because some I have called for banning, but that's because they don't have one brain cell to stack on another. Whereas you do seem to have some intelligence, which means that you're able to appreciate the impossibility of proving for example, that God has performed one single miracle cure (despite the X% of doctors according to your dodgy poll who swear blind that there was a miracle Rolleyes ). Which makes it the more fun to dick with you.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-04-2017, 02:36 PM
(11-04-2017 12:20 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The OP seems to have lost the desire for discussion... Drinking Beverage

No no lost of desire, work does have its demands and as you the responses are overwhelming numerically but given time I am more than willing to respond as time permits
11-04-2017, 02:59 PM
(11-04-2017 12:12 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 11:04 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well not having been to every bible school I can't speak for what was taught there, but at the bible school I attended I was taught to treat others the way you would want them to treat you and even to do good to those who hate you. And no I'm not blameless but I strive to follow those teachings.

See, I'd appreciate that and commend you if I could get it out of my head that you are just working hard to earn brownie points and a good after-life outcome. Sorry.

And you would entitled to that opinion rightly so just as we all are. The problem with doing something to earn brownie points by doing good from my view point as a Christian is God knows my heart and there are no brownies for things done for selfish reasons. If a child carries out garage expecting to be given a dollar or two is one thing if a child carries out the garbage simply because he loves his parents that is another thing entirely