Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 03:45 PM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
(11-04-2017 02:36 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:20 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The OP seems to have lost the desire for discussion... Drinking Beverage

No no lost of desire, work does have its demands and as you the responses are overwhelming numerically but given time I am more than willing to respond as time permits

Sounds reasonable.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 03:50 PM
(11-04-2017 02:59 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ... there are no brownies for things done for selfish reasons. If a child carries out garage expecting to be given a dollar or two is one thing if a child carries out the garbage simply because he loves his parents that is another thing entirely ...

And the child who blows up a shopping mall with a suicide vest per god's instructions gets the most brownie points of all. Your reasoning faculty appears childish.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
11-04-2017, 04:20 PM
(11-04-2017 12:19 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:15 PM)adey67 Wrote:  I do not require a sky daddy to adhere to these principles and to be honest if anyone does then I actually question that persons moral compass, not talking about you specifically as I don't know you although I do have issues with your username as it seems kinda smartass and passive aggressive and to be honest deliberately provocative. There are trolls and assholes, proselytisers and genuine religious folks respectful of our decisions to lead a secular life who respect and understand and accept our choices and just want to hang out because they realise we are all part of the human family I sincerely hope you are the latter but tbh I have doubts I suspect you are the second option and also believe you think you can disarm us with charm and are using politeness as both a defense and a weapon, I hope you prove me wrong.

I acknowledge your issues with the username though not necessarily with your claim but regardless if I may, allow me to make this proposition if the moderators are ok and you are ok with it. You chose a user name for me and the mods can change it. I only ask that you agree to one condition, that you approach making this choice for me with the same consideration that you would want someone else to have for you if you proposed this to them

As a curiosity would you consider any other member here to have username that might be considered as passive aggressive or possibly deliberately provocative to a theist, just wondering out loud.

Nevertheless I'm good with my proposal, I place my username in your hands as a fellow member of our human family
11-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Ugh.... pass. Unless you can come up with something new (and you can't theists never can), I'm not interested. No body fucking cares to hear the same stupid shit 100 times over....

Lets make a chart of why the various theists believe what they do, instead of hearing it individually from every single fucking one eh? I got better ways to spend my time.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
11-04-2017, 04:36 PM
(11-04-2017 04:20 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  As a curiosity would you consider any other member here to have username that might be considered as passive aggressive or possibly deliberately provocative to a theist,

This is a forum by and for atheists, many of whom have to bite their tongue day in and day out with family and coworkers because saying the wrong thing could result in serious consequences. Theists are welcome to participate here but should have no expectation of being handled with kid gloves. If you don't want to deal with things that are "deliberately provocative" then there are plenty of xian forums that won't allow anything that might offend your delicate sensibilities.

Quote: just wondering out loud.

Yeah, right. You certainly have the passive-aggressive shtick down pat.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
11-04-2017, 04:44 PM
(11-04-2017 04:36 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Yeah, right. You certainly have the passive-aggressive shtick down pat.

Well, unfogged, A_Stinking_Theist learnt from the best Drinking Beverage

[Image: ACXIq.gif]

And we all know how much Xtians like playing the martyr (as long as it doesn't result in any *real* discomfort... or even mild inconvenience, really.) Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
11-04-2017, 04:53 PM
(11-04-2017 03:50 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 02:59 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ... there are no brownies for things done for selfish reasons. If a child carries out garage expecting to be given a dollar or two is one thing if a child carries out the garbage simply because he loves his parents that is another thing entirely ...

And the child who blows up a shopping mall with a suicide vest per god's instructions gets the most brownie points of all. Your reasoning faculty appears childish.

Unless you have evidence of a suicide bomber of any age yelling anything other than Allahn Akbar I can only assume your are:

1 lacking knowledge of different religions of the world and Christianity

2 seriously out of touch with current events

3 your hostility towards God is showing and duly noted
11-04-2017, 04:56 PM
(11-04-2017 04:23 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Unless you can come up with something new (and you can't theists never can), I'm not interested.

A universe created by a trillion year old evolved machine intelligence seeking to escape the bounds of sequential logical programming? A tale of two prophets, one a skinny, neurotic actress, the other an anti-charismatic drug addled psychopath? Love and entropy? Dang, I thought I was on to something here. Weeping

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 05:18 PM
(11-04-2017 04:53 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  3 your hostility towards God is showing and duly noted

You really *are* a special kind of dumb, aren't you (and by special, sadly, I mean a dime a dozen).

Let me spell it to you in musical form (I've been told a lot of the simpler folk find it easier to comprehend things this way)

"Brothers and sisters, have you heard the news?
The storm has lifted and there's nothing to lose
So swap your confirmation for your dancing shoes
Because there never was no God
Step out of the darkness and onto the streets
Forget about the fast, let's have a carnival feast
Raise up your lowered head to hear the liberation beat

There is no God
So clap your hands together
There is no God
No heaven and no hell
There is no God
We're all in this together
There is no God
So ring that victory bell

No cowering in the dark before some overbearing priest
Not waiting until we die until we restitute the meek
No blaming all our failings on imaginary beasts
No fighting over land your distant fathers told you of
Not spilling blood for those who have never spread a drop of blood
No finger pointing justified by phantoms up above

There is no God
There is no God
No heaven and no hell
There is no God
There is no God
So ring that victory bell

And I know you're scared of dying man and I am too
But just pretending it's not happening isn't going to see us through
And if we accept that there's an end game and we haven't got much time
Then in the here and now we can try and do things right
We'd be our own Salvation Army, and together we'd believe
In all the wondrous things that mere mortals can achieve

Because I've known beauty in the stillness of cathedrals in the day
I've sung "Glory Hallelujah! Won't you wash my sins away?"
But now I'm singing my refrain and this is what I say
I say there never was no God

There is no God
There is no God
No heaven and no hell
There is no God
There is no God
So ring that victory bell"

All together now: There is noooooo god [Image: smiley-face-whistle-1.gif]

Your god is fiction, always was, always will be. Well, until the time it's barely remembered as one of the more vile and hateful mythologies humanity shackled itself with in its infancy anyway Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
11-04-2017, 05:27 PM
(11-04-2017 08:47 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:38 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  It is not logical.

Every dead child is proof that your god does not answer prayers.

What you hold to be true is meaningless unless you can prove it to be true.

[Image: thanks-J_zpslnxu0wvt.jpg]

Too bad he doesn't bless them all equally.
Or maybe those starving children just didn't have enough faith.
Or maybe they had faith in the wrong god.

More food for thought: How long would an atheist be allowed to post on a Christian forum before being banned?

> That last question is the most intelligent one I've seen posted all day. Consider

I can't say as I don't own one. I do know there are some that are Christian only. I can only say don't judge me by what some other Christians do just as you would not want t be judged by what some other atheists do. I also know this is not my forum either the mods are free to ban me at any time for cause and I'm ok with that and agree with that.

I would like to say this guys I do thank you for allowing me to join, it has and is being an eyeopening experience. My association with atheists has been petty much neal for various reasons but really I acknowledge there are some just good folks here who simply believe different that I. I also will say they are some that well are less accepting Smile but I realize I don't know their history with theists and their feelings may well be justified.

Again all I ask is to judge me on my own merits I will continue to strive to be respectful even when we may passionately disagree. Again thank you for my apparent slow response time I am so far behind and really want to spend sometime with to wife
[+] 1 user Likes Yogi_Bear's post