Spin-off of Why I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 07:53 PM
RE: Spin-off of Why I believe
(11-04-2017 07:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:38 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  More food for thought: How long would an atheist be allowed to post on a christian forum before being banned?
Well on the Catholic board I used to mod on, the answer seems to be indefinitely. He's the loyal opposition as it were.

The "token atheist"? Tongue

In any case, it's good to hear that other forums are open to differing views.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-04-2017, 07:55 PM
(11-04-2017 07:53 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Well on the Catholic board I used to mod on, the answer seems to be indefinitely. He's the loyal opposition as it were.

The "token atheist"? Tongue

...point taken good sir, point taken. Tongue And sorry, hope I didn't come off defensive or anything there by pointing him out; it's quite funny really. He calls so many Catholics out on not following Church teaching, and then they usually whine something like, "you have no morals and can't judge me!" Laugh out load

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
11-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Oh god, Calvinism! The vilest and most repugnant of them all...

... as I might've had occasion to rant about once... or several times, before. Blush

Even forgetting the mind-numbing idiocy of believing that both you AND your freaking spouse and spawn just happen to have been elected, the sheer magnitude of its arrogance, of believing that YOUR precious self is just so important that YOU are going to be saved, above everyone else, no freaking matter what! Censored
(28-10-2013 02:54 PM)Vera Wrote:  And every time I hear Calvinism, I think William Cowper...

The scariest thing is, there was a (bleak) point in my life, when I knew exactly how he felt... The most wonderful thing however, is that I didn't fight it as vehemently as he did (not much of a fighter, me... not when it comes to lost causes at least) and in time managed to shake the whole insane thing off. Still shudder occasionally when I remember that mindset.

"His whole life was a long sadness...Despair grew upon him...and he came to the settled opinion that he was a doomed, damned man, one who had committed an irreparable sin, and for whom there was no redemption forevermore...The last five years of his life were passed in perpetual gloom. During these five years he is said never to have smiled."

However, he had some great poems. And of course, there's this:

"Knowledge is proud that he has learned so much;
Wisdom is humble that he knows no more."

Such a pity he had to suffer so much for the same reason countless have. And continue to. Religion. Sad

(10-09-2016 08:15 AM)Vera Wrote:  Sorry if already posted.

[Image: 14224682_1132650136781441_1123090084033407521_n.jpg]

[Image: calvinism.gif]

[Image: she-loves-me-she-loves-me-not.jpg]

Though this last one should probably be a tulip Drinking Beverage You know, the good ol' Canons of Dirt, I’m sorry, Dork. (The total depravity is the bit I heart the most)

[Image: TULIP-570x238.png]

(02-03-2017 06:29 AM)Vera Wrote:  And (with all due respect to Kingschosen, whom I genuinely like), the most abhorrent and vile, and mind-numbingly arrogant of them all is Calvinism. At least other denominations claim that you just need to be a good person to go to Heaven, etc. But to believe that pretty much everyone else is going to suffer for eternity (or not be resurrected, am fuzzy on the details) but YOUR precious self was chosen for eternal salvation? And not just you, mind you, but by some magical coincidence, your spouse and children as well? And to be okay with it and willing to worship such a random, inexplicable monster? How does the mind even handle such a degree of arrogance and cognitive dissonance?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
11-04-2017, 08:13 PM
(11-04-2017 04:53 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 03:50 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  And the child who blows up a shopping mall with a suicide vest per god's instructions gets the most brownie points of all. Your reasoning faculty appears childish.

Unless you have evidence of a suicide bomber of any age yelling anything other than Allahn Akbar I can only assume your are:

1 lacking knowledge of different religions of the world and Christianity

2 seriously out of touch with current events

3 your hostility towards God is showing and duly noted

Oh shit, he is going to tell God on you man! He'll get you banned from heaven.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 8 users Like whateverist's post
11-04-2017, 08:17 PM
(11-04-2017 07:55 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:53 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The "token atheist"? Tongue

...point taken good sir, point taken. Tongue And sorry, hope I didn't come off defensive or anything there by pointing him out; it's quite funny really. He calls so many Catholics out on not following Church teaching, and then they usually whine something like, "you have no morals and can't judge me!" Laugh out load

No, no point, just trying to be funny. Big Grin

I'm glad you mentioned all that because it is good to know. When all you see are the extremists then it gets harder to remember the more reasonable folks.

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-04-2017, 08:42 PM
(11-04-2017 12:34 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Pulled from the "Why I believe" thread:

(10-04-2017 06:47 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Facepalm It's apparent the more one applies thoughtful consideration of what's being stated the more sees double standards to posit one's view. I feel confident if I stated that prayer cures people I would be bombarded with challenges to prove the claim and statements saying the effects of prayer are unfalsifiable yet am I the only one that questions the above claim? Again Facepalm
Food for thought are these results of a poll of doctors: Perhaps the most surprising result of the survey,” the report notes, “is that a majority of doctors (55 percent) said that they have seen treatment results in their patients that they would consider miraculous (45 percent do not).
Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2004/12/28152/#sfz...Res7K6m.99

Why do you suppose that when you go to the hospital, doctors give you medicine and actual treatment instead of prayers to recite? Yes, apparently you are actually the only one that questions the claim fact that science cures people more than prayer.

Science cures disease for real. Prayer makes people feel happier. Those are different things.

(10-04-2017 06:47 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2004/12/28152/#sfz...Res7K6m.99

Please correct your source link. Every time I click it, it goes to some Christian news crap. I need it to take me to a medical or science source.

I don't submit this as proof of any claim, it is however testimonials in book form by a medical doctor. Sorry for the delay in responding: http://drelaine.com/do-you-believe-in-mi...octors-do/
11-04-2017, 08:52 PM
(11-04-2017 04:36 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 04:20 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  As a curiosity would you consider any other member here to have username that might be considered as passive aggressive or possibly deliberately provocative to a theist,

This is a forum by and for atheists, many of whom have to bite their tongue day in and day out with family and coworkers because saying the wrong thing could result in serious consequences. Theists are welcome to participate here but should have no expectation of being handled with kid gloves. If you don't want to deal with things that are "deliberately provocative" then there are plenty of xian forums that won't allow anything that might offend your delicate sensibilities.

Quote: just wondering out loud.

Yeah, right. You certainly have the passive-aggressive shtick down pat.

I acknowledge this is an atheist forum. I don't have a problem with people expressing them selves here as they see fit. I assure you my sensibilities are anything but delicate. Thank you for you patience in my reply
11-04-2017, 09:15 PM
(11-04-2017 08:42 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I don't submit this as proof of any claim,

Then don't submit it.

This is not a place for you to preach, witness or otherwise spread the "good news".

(11-04-2017 08:42 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  it is however testimonials in book form by a medical doctor. Sorry for the delay in responding: http://drelaine.com/do-you-believe-in-mi...octors-do/

An MD who specializes in "holistic therapy" and "super healing". Yeah, that sounds legit.

Let's look:

Quote:A nine-year-old boy who was decapitated in a horrific car accident but survived without neurological damage.

Really? Decapitated? Head severed?

I call bullshit.

[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-04-2017, 09:15 PM
(11-04-2017 08:42 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:34 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Pulled from the "Why I believe" thread:

Why do you suppose that when you go to the hospital, doctors give you medicine and actual treatment instead of prayers to recite? Yes, apparently you are actually the only one that questions the claim fact that science cures people more than prayer.

Science cures disease for real. Prayer makes people feel happier. Those are different things.

Please correct your source link. Every time I click it, it goes to some Christian news crap. I need it to take me to a medical or science source.

I don't submit this as proof of any claim, it is however testimonials in book form by a medical doctor. Sorry for the delay in responding: http://drelaine.com/do-you-believe-in-mi...octors-do/

Okay. Doctor Elaine. Deepak Chopra is also a medical doctor. So is Dr. Oz.

I was actually thinking something like a study conducted by Harvard, Yale, UC Davis, University of Miami, Oxford University or... University of anywhere other than Phoenix. Do you have a study like that? I mean... come on. You're talking to a forum full of skeptics, of which many have degrees in hard sciences. Lets step up the game, shall we?
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
11-04-2017, 09:16 PM
(11-04-2017 06:33 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:18 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I agree it is their turf but it is stated the forum is open to everyone. As to what's what I was simply responding to others post. Isn't that how people share differing ideas?

We keep it that way. Any atheist who goes to a jesus freak forum gets banned quite quickly because you guys lack the courage of your convictions. The very thought that someone disputes your silliness drives you all nuts. In that, you are quite islamic!

Fair enough, it is your forum and obviously I will not be banning anyone for challenging my Christian convictions. Just as a heads up it may take a week to respond at the rate it goingGasp